Suede "Suede" (SDE Blu-Ray #11 with Steven Wilson stereo, 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My reason for buying it? support SDE.
I wrestle with this idea a bit. There’s a big part of me that believes exactly what you said... supporting what I think is a wonderful mission: Surround music on physical media at a fair price.

But is there any argument to be made that not buying everything and just buying the things we really like helps better shape what we’ll get in the future? Or would there even be enough of us doing that to move the needle significantly?

Damon Albarn's side-project Gorillaz has received an Atmos mix of Cracker Island, but I attribute that moreso to the recent penchant to create Atmos mixes for anything and everything, rather than him actually caring about the format.
The Atmos mix of Cracker Island is actually above average, and wouldn't be a bad candidate for release via this series.

I wrestle with this idea a bit. There’s a big part of me that believes exactly what you said... supporting what I think is a wonderful mission: Surround music on physical media at a fair price.

But is there any argument to be made that not buying everything and just buying the things we really like helps better shape what we’ll get in the future? Or would there even be enough of us doing that to move the needle significantly?

Great put! There's two things in favor of my logic, limited quantities and physical media will die sooner than later. Somebody that misses the train will want what you got in the future.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

ah i dunno what da fook you're on about kap?! 😂 💋

it wouldn't only be SW loving this band and this album, it was at one point the quickest selling debut of all time, went straight in at Number 1 (in the UK), it won the Mercury Prize, is often referred to as one of the first Britpop records, musically and lyrically compared to The Smiths and early Bowie and it frequently comes up on "best of all time" type lists.

it's a cherished album of its time and although i personally prefer their later more commercial stuff ("Coming Up" & "Head Music" in particular) it's obvious why SW would go for this, it's another inspired Surround release for SDE. well done them and i look forward to hearing what SW's done with this music in Atmos! 😋🥳
Oh, do NOT get me wrong, I am extremely happy for folks who LIKE this album, there is a lot of stuff I like that others go "aaahhh , that's shite!" and all is cool... it just never really scored any points with me, and I consider myself very open to many musical styles- but this stuff ALL sounds alike to me, well, I prefer the Smiths and Bowie than a second rate imitation....and , if you want , I could send you a pdf on how Columbia Records specified how much Payola they were giving out and to whom (OK, those were CROSSED OUT) for shite like "Franz Ferdinand"...

Oh, do NOT get me wrong, I am extremely happy for folks who LIKE this album, there is a lot of stuff I like that others go "aaahhh , that's shite!" and all is cool... it just never really scored any points with me, and I consider myself very open to many musical styles- but this stuff ALL sounds alike to me, well, I prefer the Smiths and Bowie than a second rate imitation....and , if you want , I could send you a pdf on how Columbia Records specified how much Payola they were giving out and to whom (OK, those were CROSSED OUT) for shite like "Franz Ferdinand"...
Do you feel the same about Stone Roses first album?

Do you feel the same about Stone Roses first album?
Yes, and a bunch other stuff from that era....I was living in Madrid by then and I listened religiously to Radio 3 Pop (RTVE) and I heard some stuff I liked but others (many) sounded to my like "rehashed" stuff from the 60s, 70s and 80s... I obvioulsy LOVED Björk cause she was something FRESH, and many things like Dave Matthews Band, etc...as long as they are ORIGINAL, not a "rehash"...yeah, I know... bitch, bitch , bitch , mama (Loved the Spin Doctors too!)

Absolutely love the Stone Roses
They are the only britpop band I got into at the time of release. The rest of them I am catching up to, but none of them have bested that first Stone Roses album, as a whole album.

Absolutely love the Stone Roses…A Manchester band, acid rock, stoned hippie, alternative psychedelic sounds. “I wanna be adored” is the track to check. This band would be fabulous in Surround and Atmos.
They are the only britpop band I got into at the time of release. The rest of them I am catching up to, but none of them have bested that first Stone Roses album, as a whole album.
That would be a good one, as would "Do It Yourself" by The Sea Horses, a band formed by John Squire after he left

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
About the album cover.....so...is that 2 guys, 2 girls.....a guy and a girl....what? Seriously. I'm curious.
1682052259574.png

It's always interesting to contrast the reactions when a UK based (and by extension I suppose) UK music scene imbued label releases music those of us who live in the UK are familiar with, and the utter bewilderment the same releases are greeted with by those from the USA and elsewhere. It reminds me of when the Amiga game "Sensible World Of Soccer" was declared one of the most influential video games of all time (which it is). The response was "how can it be any good, when I've never heard of it"
Now I'm not for one second suggesting this album is that important, bluntly it isn't, and certainly it wasn't quite deserving of the breathless accolades directed at it from the inkies and Q, but it's a good album. Not Urban Hymns or Lifeforms or Screamadelica, or Mezzanine etc good but better than say Modern Life Is Rubbish, or any post What's The Story Oasis album.

It's always interesting to contrast the reactions when a UK based (and by extension I suppose) UK music scene imbued label releases music those of us who live in the UK are familiar with, and the utter bewilderment the same releases are greeted with by those from the USA and elsewhere. It reminds me of when the Amiga game "Sensible World Of Soccer" was declared one of the most influential video games of all time (which it is). The response was "how can it be any good, when I've never heard of it"
Now I'm not for one second suggesting this album is that important, bluntly it isn't, and certainly it wasn't quite deserving of the breathless accolades directed at it from the inkies and Q, but it's a good album. Not Urban Hymns or Lifeforms or Screamadelica, or Mezzanine etc good but better than say Modern Life Is Rubbish, or any post What's The Story Oasis album.

"Interesting" is a very, very kind word. Have to disagree with you on one thing though, this is a seminal album and a peerless masterpiece. It absolutely is deserving of each and every breathless accolade IMHO.

In any case, anyone who really is interested in music should give this a few good spins at least. Glam rock is what got me into surround in the first place - Ziggy and Brown Dirt Cowboy were the first two I ordered. This and the following Suede album sound like warped and twisted sequels to Ziggy. The dark sound of romanticised drug use and life on the edges of society. The remastered releases from a decade ago did not sound so great to me, and I can't wait to hear what SW did with the many layers of sound, so happy he's the one who worked on it.

After The Beatles and Kate Bush, this and the following two Suede albums were next on my wish list for surround (fingers still crossed). Counting the seconds until I receive this one.

ah i dunno what da fook you're on about kap?! 😂 💋

it wouldn't only be SW loving this band and this album, it was at one point the quickest selling debut of all time, went straight in at Number 1 (in the UK), it won the Mercury Prize, is often referred to as one of the first Britpop records, musically and lyrically compared to The Smiths and early Bowie and it frequently comes up on "best of all time" type lists.

it's a cherished album of its time and although i personally prefer their later more commercial stuff ("Coming Up" & "Head Music" in particular) it's obvious why SW would go for this, it's another inspired Surround release for SDE. well done them and i look forward to hearing what SW's done with this music in Atmos! 😋🥳
Yes to this. Are there other albums I’d like to see, sure. And some are pretty obscure and will never happen (some Feelies, Game Theory’s Lolita Nation, Fiona Apple’s Extraordinary Machine, Wire, Spacemen 3). But this seems a good opportunity to me.

I was/am in Florida and none of the big stations played any new wave of the time. It was all hair bands until Nirvana shook things up with Nevermind. Thankfully we did have one community radio station that had some great DJ's, mostly in the middle of the night. Also a lot of my high school friends, and one next door neighbor, from Canada, were into all the good New Wave.
I'm in Florida as well but in the early 80's I moved to North Florida. In the 90's the two good FM stations I could get, one in Tallahassee went "Classic Rock" and the one in Gainesville went "Country". So I never even heard/heard of this band for example.
Down in the Tampa Bay area you got pretty much everything. The best damn station there was (IMO) in Mount Dora changed formats in the early 80's and pissed off a whole generation of listeners who took the "license plates" with the stations call letters and turned them upside down on their vehicles as a show of protest/disgust.

To this day there's not a decent radio station to listen to here IMO, except for Country (I'm OK with Country, just don't wanna hear it all the time). All the other stations, I don't know what the hell they play but I don't like it. In my shop I just listen to Spotify play lists mostly on a bluetooth speaker.

But yeah, I'm not gonna buy it.

Back