Suede "Suede" (SDE Blu-Ray #11 with Steven Wilson stereo, 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, and a bunch other stuff from that era....I was living in Madrid by then and I listened religiously to Radio 3 Pop (RTVE) and I heard some stuff I liked but others (many) sounded to my like "rehashed" stuff from the 60s, 70s and 80s... I obvioulsy LOVED Björk cause she was something FRESH, and many things like Dave Matthews Band, etc...as long as they are ORIGINAL, not a "rehash"...yeah, I know... bitch, bitch , bitch , mama (Loved the Spin Doctors too!)

Oh what I'd give to have the first Sugarcubes album in surround. That one is a cocaine-fueled masterpiece.

As for Suede, they aren't everybody's cup of tea. I still love the album, though, on the strength of a few songs that grabbed my attention right away, and some others that slowly became earworms. I was listening to my copy the last few days and while I think there are plenty of opportunities to make a good surround mix, I do wonder if it'll lose something with all the track separation. With a discerning ear, I'm noticing that more guitar parts are overdubs and may alter the cohesion in a bad way if separated from the other guitar parts. I trust SW to do his due diligence, though, and the songwriting/structure on the album is strong enough to withstand a surround sound overhaul, IMHO.

Yes to this. Are there other albums I’d like to see, sure. And some are pretty obscure and will never happen (some Feelies, Game Theory’s Lolita Nation, Fiona Apple’s Extraordinary Machine, Wire, Spacemen 3). But this seems a good opportunity to me.
Ooh. Wire's Chairs Missing could be great, or 154 for a disorienting claustrophobic surround sound mix!

If SDE is going for more Britpop, go all the way and see about an Atmos mix of any of The Smiths albums. I would sh#$% if that happened.
After the SDE coup of getting Bob Dylan - Time out of Mind, anything is possible.

Oh, do NOT get me wrong, I am extremely happy for folks who LIKE this album, there is a lot of stuff I like that others go "aaahhh , that's shite!" and all is cool... it just never really scored any points with me, and I consider myself very open to many musical styles- but this stuff ALL sounds alike to me, well, I prefer the Smiths and Bowie than a second rate imitation....and , if you want , I could send you a pdf on how Columbia Records specified how much Payola they were giving out and to whom (OK, those were CROSSED OUT) for shite like "Franz Ferdinand"...
I’m not generally a Frank Ferdinand fan but they did put out at least one good album, that being collaboration between them and Sparks. I think that Ron Mael must have had something to do with coming up with the album’s title, “FFS.”

I’m not generally a Frank Ferdinand fan but they did put out at least one good album, that being collaboration between them and Sparks. I think that Ron Mael must have had something to do with coming up with the album’s title, “FFS.”
Franz Ferdinand's self-titled debut was great. After that, they seemed to constantly circle around an annoying winking misogyny. Essentially, the musical equivalent of this face: 😏

I wrestle with this idea a bit. There’s a big part of me that believes exactly what you said... supporting what I think is a wonderful mission: Surround music on physical media at a fair price.

But is there any argument to be made that not buying everything and just buying the things we really like helps better shape what we’ll get in the future? Or would there even be enough of us doing that to move the needle significantly?
There is also another significant point to consider. Folks like Paul Sinclair and Michael Dutton must clearly already know what people want to see get released. They, however, have to work with the folks who have control over well recorded and well preserved tapes and are also amenable to working out deals for reissues. And expressed interest in surround remixing from notables like Steven Wilson, James Guthrie, Eddie Kramer, etc., and artists like the Beatles, JT’s Ian Anderson, XTC, Yes, Bruce Soord, Pink Floyd, etc., certainly doesn’t hurt the effort to get music in surround out into the marketplace. Beyond that, it certainly helps to keep the train running if surround releases sell out.

And many people in the music industry with an interest in surround music are most definitely members of, if not otherwise lurkers, on this forum.

Having said all that, I must admit that I personally don’t have an unlimited amount of discretionary funds or home storage space to buy everything. Further, I don’t have the desire to spend on music that I’ll never listen to or box sets full of bloat(not an issue for SDE or DV),

I pre-ordered this, not really familiar with it but sounds rather interesting, they should be able to do a lot with it surround wise. I just hope that the SDC Blu-ray is not so heavily compressed as the samples I've heard on You-tube. I ordered "Shakespears Sister" as well.

Decision made. Pass. The first in the series that I won’t buy.

I asked myself:
  • Is there something about the music that I really like?
  • Do I think I’ll listen to it more than once considering all the other music I own?
  • Will I be excited when I get the shipping notice?
  • Will I check the shipping status multiple times a day even though I know it won’t have moved an inch since the last time I checked?
  • Will I agonize when it gets stuck in customs and/or some postal distribution center?
For this release, the answer was No to each question.

It's time to make peace with not owning everything in a series just so that I can say that I do, even if just to myself.

I asked myself:
  • Do I think I’ll listen to it more than once considering all the other music I own?
  • Will I check the shipping status multiple times a day even though I know it won’t have moved an inch since the last time I checked?
  • Will I agonize when it gets stuck in customs and/or some postal distribution center?

It's time to make peace with not owning everything in a series just so that I can say that I do, even if just to myself.
It's great to keep those things in mind. It's still something I need to remind myself often as well. (Given, I love Suede's first two albums; I'm talking about in general.)

I asked myself:

The two songs on the videos posted at SDE are dreadful IMO so I sampled everything else on YouTube. Most were better but I then asked myself most of the same questions you did and also answered them no.
And then I stupidly ordered it anyway. :cautious:

The only one I’ve skipped was Gilbert O’Sullivan and I may still go back and cancel this one

The two songs on the videos posted at SDE are dreadful IMO so I sampled everything else on YouTube. Most were better but I then asked myself most of the same questions you did and also answered them no.
And then I stupidly ordered it anyway. :cautious:

The only one I’ve skipped was Gilbert O’Sullivan and I may still go back and cancel this one
I’ll never claim I’m cured and won’t ever again order something I’m not totally in love with. So no casting stones from my end of the forum if you don’t cancel.

But today is a momentary victory in my on-going battle to spend responsibly on music.

I asked myself:

I figured
a. they were a significant band I missed first time around, so why not bite?
b. I am the first to complain when blu-rays are locked in a big expensive box I don’t need
c. Want to support Paul for his heroic efforts on behalf of the surround community
Ordered 😉

It seems this article flew under the radar in regards to this thread. Brett Anderson, the frontman of the group, was actually interviewed by SDE themselves in September 2022, regarding the band's work and their reissues: Brett Anderson on Suede’s new album, reissues… and his unreleased novel – SuperDeluxeEdition
Some important points:
1685675277902.png

And...
Suede Interview #2.PNG

Attachments

• 1685675438617.png
    1685675438617.png
    390.3 KB · Views: 0
Also, for anyone that takes an interest in this band from this release, and just wants MORE Suede, the set of 2011 reissues of the band's catalogue is a great series of discs to turn to. 2-CD + 1-DVD sets with the original album, b-sides, and bonus tracks.
Reflecting on Suede in its 2011 reissue liner notes, this is how Brett Anderson would have made the tracklist in hindsight.

This is the original tracklist:
  1. So Young
  2. Animal Nitrate
  3. She's Not Dead
  4. Moving
  5. Pantomime Horse
  6. The Drowners
  7. Sleeping Pills
  8. Breakdown
  9. Metal Mickey
  10. Animal Lover
  11. The Next Life​

And this is what he would have changed it to:
  1. So Young
  2. Animal Nitrate
  3. She's Not Dead
  4. My Insatiable One
  5. Pantomime Horse
  6. The Drowners
  7. Metal Mickey
  8. Sleeping Pills
  9. Breakdown
  10. To the Birds
  11. The Next Life
Notice "My Insatiable One" replacing "Moving", "To the Birds" replacing "Animal Lover", and "Metal Mickey"'s changed track placement.

Last edited:
If anyone missed out on purchasing this during the initial announcement (like me), it appears to be available again for purchase on the SDE shop: EXCLUSIVE: Suede 30th anniversary limited edition blu-ray audio

It still lists "Pre-order ends on 29 April 2023" on the ordering page, but the pre-order link is back up. I was able to order a copy just now.

Personally, I love this album, so that and Steve Wilson mixing it made the purchase a no-brainer for me. (y)

Back