Sugarcube SC1 Mini Phono

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
So I am the proud owner of the Sweetvinyl SC1 Mini Phono. Eliminates click and crackle from the vinyl with no degradation to the audio at all. You can set the amount of removal from none to high. Even at the highest removal I hear no change in the sound. It has really made my vinyl listening and capture into the computer way more enjoyable. I can even go to my local record store and buy cheap used vinyl and it comes out sounding pretty darned spiffy.
Screenshot 2020-08-04 193526.jpg
Screenshot 2020-08-04 193611.jpg

It has two inputs (one with the included preamp and one that I can run with my Schitt Mani). Either way the vinyl sounds clean

Wow, I could use that as I was ripping vinyl last night thru the SM2 and found not of my software declickers work in multichannel.

What software are you using? The Izotope DeClicker works so long as you process your front and rear channels as separate stereo pairs. I would advise against applying any processing to an encoded stereo signal feeding a decoder as it may affect how much separation you get.

I use Izotope or Click Repair. I do both front and rear as stereo pairs. I also run each stereo pair through the azimuth adjust in Izotope as well. Tightens things up.

it would be interesting to see what it does with a CD-4 LP feeding a demodulator. Or would you be better off using two units on the output of the demod?

i wonder how that compares to the CEDAR DCX-CRX declicker/decrackler duo? on that pair, i find i have to be very careful in setting to avoid chopping holes in brassy sounds. thankfully, it does not affect percussive sounds even at maximum settings, only timbres.

$1800.00?!!? Thanks, but I'll stick with my two KLH TNE 7000As. I'm able to run the front channels through one and the rear channels of a CD 4 through the other. They work quite well and only cost $200.00 +/- a few.

Wow, you are a lucky man. I mentioned this to my wife for our 30th and she just laughed. I guess I got my one time electronic gift when she bought me a vintage Kenwood quad receiver and reel to reel for my birthday years ago
Yes. I AM a lucky man.

Brass no problem that I hear. The only issues I have had are with dance records that use an 808 or 909 kick drum. It has a point to the wave file that the SugarCube and every other declicker does not like. I’ve tried them all at various settings and it always softens the attack a bit. Other than that I have heard no artifacts or unpleasant results. Even with things like xylophone or marimba or hi hats.

interesting. declickers seem to use one of two algorithms- one is sensitive to transients, and one is sensitive to brassy timbres. CEDAR declicker belongs to the latter, when i play brass music through it i have to turn the declicker almost off, but the decrackler is sensitive to very high treble transients so one is constantly twiddling dials [turning down the declicker while turning up the decrackler, and vice-versa in an either/or arrangement] in a dynamic negotiation with the music being played, to avoid distortion. in my experience the CEDAR declicker can handle any kind of percussion music you run through it, but not their decrackler.

I've been very wary of this type of device. My thinking is that if you take out the noise, you also take some of the music with it. I wouldn't be willing to make that compromise. I'd also wonder what effect it has on matrix decoding.

it has been my experience that with CEDAR, the amount of music taken out is miniscule IF SET CORRECTLY. granted, there are many examples of commercial product where sufficient care was lacking. the software declicker/decracklers are highly variable but good results can be gotten with the mildest settings and abundant manual clean-up work. and i for one do NOT wanna hear clicks and crackles in surround sound, the only time they are not in the surround channels is in mono.

Back