Suggestions for a centre speaker for a Tannoy HTS-101 XP surround setup.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rango

QQ Supporter
The HTS-101 XP surround package I have, consists of five identical satellite speakers and a sub.

I sourced them from eBay and one of them is faulty and buzzes at certain frequencies, so I've been wanting to replace it with a centre speaker for quite some time but am worried about matching tambre?

I don't really know how to do so, beyond just buying from the same company's same speaker range, or as close to as you can get?

I thought I'd try and substitute the broken speaker for the centre from Tannoy's earlier HTS-101 (non-XP) version of this surround package but, having read a few reviews, it seems the HTS-101's (which the HTS-101 XP's replaced) cost half as much as the XP's (which suggests they're not just a different build-quality but probably not as good?) and also their centre speaker reviewed as the weakest link in the package...so...yeah...

Wondering if there's a centre speaker out there that would match my HTS-101 XP's and/or if there's a way to match tambre?

Was also thinking I should just get a new centre and front-right/front-left, and use the HTS101 XP's for left and right and surround.

Suggestions and/or advice would be most appreciated.

Try going quad first! You might be happy with a phantom center. If Tannoy doesn't sell replacement satellites, you might be okay with any center that sounds good by itself, especially if you need it primarily for dialogue and you don't have a large room or need to accommodate many off-axis listeners.

Try going quad first! You might be happy with a phantom center. If Tannoy doesn't sell replacement satellites, you might be okay with any center that sounds good by itself, especially if you need it primarily for dialogue and you don't have a large room or need to accommodate many off-axis listeners.

That hadn't even occurred to me; plus not sure if my receiver will do that? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have that option but I guess if I run the setup (with the setup microphone) without a centre channel plugged in, it might automatically adapt? I think I need to dig the manual out.

Back