Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very doubtful. I think with Dutton Vocalion now in the surround business licensing QUAD masters at a fraction of what Audio Fidelity was paying and charging less than half of the list price of one AF QUAD/5.1 SACD [and most of them ARE two~fers], why bother?

And just as D~V is taking flack for not fulfilling the wishes of Surround fans by NOT releasing classic rock/pop albums, Audio Fidelity has taken their share of 'abuse' from surroundophiles who voiced similarly negative concerns.

There's way too much rigamarole involved in dealing with the Majors with their insane licensing agreements and artist approval provisos, so, realistically speaking, we probably won't get what we really want.......so get used to that!

Thank you

So sad!!!! :(

Kind regards,

Very doubtful. I think with Dutton Vocalion now in the surround business licensing QUAD masters at a fraction of what Audio Fidelity was paying and charging less than half of the list price of one AF QUAD/5.1 SACD [and most of them ARE two~fers], why bother?

And just as D~V is taking flack for not fulfilling the wishes of Surround fans by NOT releasing classic rock/pop albums, Audio Fidelity has taken their share of 'abuse' from surroundophiles who voiced similarly negative concerns.

There's way too much rigamarole involved in dealing with the Majors with their insane licensing agreements and artist approval provisos, so, realistically speaking, we probably won't get what we really want.......so get used to that!
Yeah, what he said. I need rock in surround, this sucks, I feel like I'm in the desert. I don't understand why a TYA will release one surround or a Traffic will release one SACD stereo, why so many rock bands have one release in Hi Res and not more whether it be stereo or surround.

Yeah, what he said. I need rock in surround, this sucks, I feel like I'm in the desert. I don't understand why a TYA will release one surround or a Traffic will release one SACD stereo, why so many rock bands have one release in Hi Res and not more whether it be stereo or surround.

Mark, more and more I think we're getting the answer as individual rock groups/artists are releasing their back catalogues in 5.1. It's artist driven.....usually coinciding with 'anniversary' reissues of their albums.

I don't think ANY of the major labels are saying....'let's release this album in surround' unless it coincides with a recording's 'anniversary.'

RUSH FINALLY got smart by enlisting Steve Wilson to remix Farewell to the King but in the process, wasted our money by NOT doing it right the first time.

Personally, I think it's HIGH TIME for the STONES to finally do the 5.1 tango. Their earliest albums may not be ripe for surround [too few tracks to work with] but their 70's and 80's output, would, IMO, be astounding in 5.1.

And perhaps one day, Led Zeppelin will get the lead outta their asses and let a Steve Wilson tackle their sublime catalog. Now THAT would be a Whole Lotta LOVE!:banana:

At least we know Giles Martin is working on the Beatles' White Album....and PF's THE WALL should be out in 5.1 ONE OF THESE DAYS! (y)(y):)

But as far as a Dutton Vocalion releasing HARD ROCK in QUAD..........as they say in Brooklyn, NY.......FUHGEDDABOUDIT!

Mark, more and more I think we're getting the answer as individual rock groups/artists are releasing their back catalogues in 5.1. It's artist driven.....usually coinciding with 'anniversary' reissues of their albums.

I don't think ANY of the major labels are saying....'let's release this album in surround' unless it coincides with a recording's 'anniversary.'

RUSH FINALLY got smart by enlisting Steve Wilson to remix Farewell to the King but in the process, wasted our money by NOT doing it right the first time.

Personally, I think it's HIGH TIME for the STONES to finally do the 5.1 tango. Their earliest albums may not be ripe for surround [too few tracks to work with] but their 70's and 80's output, would, IMO, be astounding in 5.1.

And perhaps one day, Led Zeppelin will get the lead outta their asses and let a Steve Wilson tackle their sublime catalog. Now THAT would be a Whole Lotta LOVE!:banana:

At least we know Giles Martin is working on the Beatles' White Album....and PF's THE WALL should be out in 5.1 ONE OF THESE DAYS! (y)(y):)

But as far as a Dutton Vocalion releasing HARD ROCK in QUAD..........as they say in Brooklyn, NY.......FUHGEDDABOUDIT!

As long as Jimmy Page...now 73...is alive I don't envision anyone being permitted to work on the Zep catalog...he and Robert Plant don't need the money and Page feels the music is his personal "toy" and will continue to amuse himself by releasing endless CD "makeovers" that are never going to approach audiophile status....and as you correctly mentioned...most record companies aren't interested in surround titles unless "motivated" by the artists....as far as the Stones go...when you mention their 70's and 80's output..are you talking about their health or music catalog?....IMO they have tried the hi rez route and that ship has sailed...and I doubt the record company has any interest in doing these projects...I can see Mick performing into his 80's...even if he has to have a walker or cane and he is performing at county fairs or dive bars...I don't envision him "going quietly into the night"...

Here is their latest upcoming release

The ONLY way I could see the Stones releasing some hi rez music is the desire to compete with their arch rival(the Beatles)...seeing the Sgt Peppers box set and the upcoming White Album might be enough to spark some interest within the Band...I'd love to see it...

As long as Jimmy Page...now 73...is alive I don't envision anyone being permitted to work on the Zep catalog...he and Robert Plant don't need the money and Page feels the music is his personal "toy" and will continue to amuse himself by releasing endless CD "makeovers" that are never going to approach audiophile status....and as you correctly mentioned...most record companies aren't interested in surround titles unless "motivated" by the artists....as far as the Stones go...when you mention their 70's and 80's output..are you talking about their health or music catalog?....IMO they have tried the hi rez route and that ship has sailed...and I doubt the record company has any interest in doing these projects...I can see Mick performing into his 80's...even if he has to have a walker or cane and he is performing at county fairs or dive bars...I don't envision him "going quietly into the night"...

Here is their latest upcoming release

The ONLY way I could see the Stones releasing some hi rez music is the desire to compete with their arch rival(the Beatles)...seeing the Sgt Peppers box set and the upcoming White Album might be enough to spark some interest within the Band...I'd love to see it...

Of course you're right on a lot of issues [Zep, for example] but the Stones just might get that much needed bug up their arses to compete with the Beatles impending 5.1 output. Saw their latest video last night [Sticky Fingers LIVE] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-R...e-at-the-Fonda-Theatre-Blu-ray/185855/#Review and LOVED it but it's just so hard to look at them perform LIVE [this concert was from 2015]. Not to sound nasty, but I've never seen that many facial wrinkles on anyone and the whole lot of them weigh about 300 pounds soaking wet. I will always cherish their single 5.1 SACD release: Sympathy For The Devil remixed. It really sounds amazing. http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=1360

BTW, Mick's latest romance: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/mick-jagger-sparks-dating-rumours-woman-52-years-his-junior-paris-1645071

And perhaps one day, Led Zeppelin will get the lead outta their asses and let a Steve Wilson tackle their sublime catalog. Now THAT would be a Whole Lotta love!

A Steven Wilson remix would be very much appreciated but I'm starting to think he's pretty conservative. I'd like to hear something a little less so, a bit more aggressive with some sound movement, especially after recent listens to some seventies quads. It's pretty tame in comparison.

We probably need a new thread but I can't recall too many recent aggressive mixes. Just Allman Brothers - Idlewild comes to mind.

many Quads are much more adventurous surround sound than most modern 5.1 mixes, i love the old Quads they're fun! lets be havin' 'em! :D

One of my regrets is not hearing these quads...I came WAY too late to this hobby to experience them...I'm thankful that Audio Fidelity and others have brought some of these back to enable modern equipment to play them.... so I could hear them.. I have to settle on living through others on here as they talk about the various quads that I have never heard..

BTW Adam...did you hire an accounting firm to tally up your discs?:)

One of my regrets is not hearing these quads...I came WAY too late to this hobby to experience them...I'm thankful that Audio Fidelity and others have brought some of these back to enable modern equipment to play them.... so I could hear them.. I have to settle on living through others on here as they talk about the various quads that I have never heard..

BTW Adam...did you hire an accounting firm to tally up your discs?:)

It looks like we missed many cool things by being too young or too poor or both.

But when I sit down and take stock of what in the 70s quad universe has been reissued on a modern playback format - I am in awe of the selection of material.

You know this already of course. Besides the classics from AF, and the quality obscurities from D/V, we have gotten the cream of the crop, Purple, Tull, Floyd, TYA, Chicago, etc.

There really is an amazing selection of great 70s quad out there.

Add that to the newer mixed 5.1 from 70s classics like Bowie, T Rex, Doobies, Dead, ELP, Yes, Tull, Crimson, Allmans, VU, Fleetwood, etc. and a bigger picture reveals how lucky we have been for a tiny fringe market segment.

And many of these reissues and remixes were made possible because of the constant presence of this forum,

I look at my AF discs and am still tickled at what did get issued.

Imo the best quad material released has been reissued with the exception of 4 or 5 titles. We've come that far.

It looks like we missed many cool things by being too young or too poor or both.

But when I sit down and take stock of what in the 70s quad universe has been reissued on a modern playback format - I am in awe of the selection of material.

You know this already of course. Besides the classics from AF, and the quality obscurities from D/V, we have gotten the cream of the crop, Purple, Tull, Floyd, TYA, Chicago, etc.

There really is an amazing selection of great 70s quad out there.

Add that to the newer mixed 5.1 from 70s classics like Bowie, T Rex, Doobies, Dead, ELP, Yes, Tull, Crimson, Allmans, VU, Fleetwood, etc. and a bigger picture reveals how lucky we have been for a tiny fringe market segment.

And many of these reissues and remixes were made possible because of the constant presence of this forum,

I look at my AF discs and am still tickled at what did get issued.

Imo the best quad material released has been reissued with the exception of 4 or 5 titles. We've come that far.

You have to remember that Quad didn't last very long...and there were many technical problems associated with the technology in it's different forms...back in the day I only had one quad radio station....vinyl was king for me and of course my receiver to get the music from radio stations...those were the outlets for my listening pleasure...it's a shame that the current technologies didn't exist in the 60's and 70's when the greatest bands of all time were in their prime...could you imagine having blu ray back then...

I too am amazed that we have been able to capture some of this music on modern devices...the Chicago Quadio Set is something out of a dream...it's hard to believe that Rhino had the courage to undertake such a huge project...

I agree Clint, I also would say that it is cheaper now in real terms to have a Surround set-up than it was to have a Quad one back in heady days of the 70s. My first SQ Quad LP was "Wish You Were Here" in 1975 which I think I paid £2.50 for and I didn't have a Quad system until my father gave me his old stereo amp & speakers in my 2nd year at Uni (77-78!) and I built an SQ decoder and linked it all to my stereo system. If we say prices double every decade then my £2.50 disc would cost about £46 now :)yikes is it really 42 years ago), so in most cases we're paying less than that for the discs and the equipment has plummeted in cost.

You have to remember that Quad didn't last very long...and there were many technical problems associated with the technology in it's different forms...back in the day I only had one quad radio station....vinyl was king for me and of course my receiver to get the music from radio stations...those were the outlets for my listening pleasure...it's a shame that the current technologies didn't exist in the 60's and 70's when the greatest bands of all time were in their prime...could you imagine having blu ray back then...

I too am amazed that we have been able to capture some of this music on modern devices...the Chicago Quadio Set is something out of a dream...it's hard to believe that Rhino had the courage to undertake such a huge project...

Clint Eastwood inquired: BTW Adam...did you hire an accounting firm to tally up your discs?:)[/QUOTE]

I just want to know if Adam uses those Q8s that come unspooled for flossing? :yikes

Talk about a magnetic personality!

Amazing for the short time quad was a going concern just how many albums got mixed to quad. It was hundreds and hundreds, maybe over a thousand?

Amazing for the short time quad was a going concern just how many albums got mixed to quad. It was hundreds and hundreds, maybe over a thousand?

It's somewhere near the 1,400 title mark if you count the stuff from Japan, Brazil, the UK - most of which was LP only. I think there's very near 1,000 titles on Q4/Q8 tape almost half of which is classical. I have over 500 tapes personally and they are mostly rock/pop/soul/country titles. I don't have a single classical tape.

A Steven Wilson remix would be very much appreciated but I'm starting to think he's pretty conservative. I'd like to hear something a little less so, a bit more aggressive with some sound movement, especially after recent listens to some seventies quads. It's pretty tame in comparison.

We probably need a new thread but I can't recall too many recent aggressive mixes. Just Allman Brothers - Idlewild comes to mind.

Three Piece Suite is pretty damn aggressive. I wouldn't change a thing. Sorry but I don't agree with your post.

Back