• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Suggestions for Dutton Epoch Classical Multichannel SACDs

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Beethoven's 250th birthday is next year. There was a lot of releases in quad on European labels, including complete cycles from Eugen Jochum and Rudolf Kempe, but Dutton doesn't seem to be working much with Universal/Warner Classics. On Sony-controlled labels there's only really two records I see - Isaac Stern's recording of the Beethoven Violin Concerto with Daniel Barenboim, and Leopold Stokowski conducting Beethoven's 3rd Symphony and the Coriolan Overture. Each is about 50 minutes, so coupling them wouldn't work.
Stern: https://www.discogs.com/Beethoven-Stern-Barenboim-New-York-Philharmonic-Violin-Concerto-In-D-Major-Op-61/release/8179664
Stokowski: https://www.discogs.com/Beethoven-Leopold-StokowskiLondon-Symphony-Orchestra-Stokowski-Conducts-Symphony-3-Eroica-Coriolan-O/release/8933218
It could be a two disc set for £19.99. I'd surely buy it. As for Warners: they're literally sitting on hundreds of Angel QUAD classical masters which AFAIK, were only released in SQ Vinyl form. What a waste!

Beefalo

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Santana & John McLaughlin. I remember hearing a stereo version and it had some wicked fades with the guitar solos:
"From a live FM Broadcast recorded in the International Amphiteater, Chicago IL, 1st September 1973"

Cassetto

Dutton seems to have easy access to Columbia/Sony titles and "The World Of Harry Partch", which was quad and stereo on Columbia Masterworks in 1972, has never once seen a CD release. I know a lot of people who would be thrilled to see that come out as a hybrid with quad. We're a fringy lot, but there are plenty of us.

ubertrout

Dutton seems to have easy access to Columbia/Sony titles and "The World Of Harry Partch", which was quad and stereo on Columbia Masterworks in 1972, has never once seen a CD release. I know a lot of people who would be thrilled to see that come out as a hybrid with quad. We're a fringy lot, but there are plenty of us.
Sony actually recently released this (stereo CD only) as part of a budget box of 20th century material:

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Interesting choice, Cassetto. I have the original Columbia Stereo LP. I can only imagine how amazing it would sound in QUAD from the original masters!

humprof

I do hope eventually D~V Epoch sees fit to release on QUAD SACD Leonard Bernstein's definitive version of his MASS.
Tonight (15 May 2020) PBS is showing the 2019 Ravinia Festival staging of MASS by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra under Marin Alsop. It should also be available for streaming--for at least a little while. (Maybe they'll also release a DVD/Blu-Ray?) I'm not a regular Great Performances viewer, so I've got no guesses as to the likely sound/surround quality.

A short preview clip and a couple of documentary promos at the link below: