Suggestions for Dutton Epoch Classical Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beethoven's 250th birthday is next year. There was a lot of releases in quad on European labels, including complete cycles from Eugen Jochum and Rudolf Kempe, but Dutton doesn't seem to be working much with Universal/Warner Classics. On Sony-controlled labels there's only really two records I see - Isaac Stern's recording of the Beethoven Violin Concerto with Daniel Barenboim, and Leopold Stokowski conducting Beethoven's 3rd Symphony and the Coriolan Overture. Each is about 50 minutes, so coupling them wouldn't work.
Stern: https://www.discogs.com/Beethoven-S...lin-Concerto-In-D-Major-Op-61/release/8179664
Stokowski: https://www.discogs.com/Beethoven-L...-Symphony-3-Eroica-Coriolan-O/release/8933218

It could be a two disc set for £19.99. I'd surely buy it. As for Warners: they're literally sitting on hundreds of Angel QUAD classical masters which AFAIK, were only released in SQ Vinyl form. What a waste!

Santana & John McLaughlin. I remember hearing a stereo version and it had some wicked fades with the guitar solos:
"From a live FM Broadcast recorded in the International Amphiteater, Chicago IL, 1st September 1973"

Dutton seems to have easy access to Columbia/Sony titles and "The World Of Harry Partch", which was quad and stereo on Columbia Masterworks in 1972, has never once seen a CD release. I know a lot of people who would be thrilled to see that come out as a hybrid with quad. We're a fringy lot, but there are plenty of us.

Dutton seems to have easy access to Columbia/Sony titles and "The World Of Harry Partch", which was quad and stereo on Columbia Masterworks in 1972, has never once seen a CD release. I know a lot of people who would be thrilled to see that come out as a hybrid with quad. We're a fringy lot, but there are plenty of us.
Sony actually recently released this (stereo CD only) as part of a budget box of 20th century material: https://www.amazon.com/Masterworks-20th-Century-Various/dp/B00TQNMCDU

Interesting choice, Cassetto. I have the original Columbia Stereo LP. I can only imagine how amazing it would sound in QUAD from the original masters!

I do hope eventually D~V Epoch sees fit to release on QUAD SACD Leonard Bernstein's definitive version of his MASS.

Tonight (15 May 2020) PBS is showing the 2019 Ravinia Festival staging of MASS by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra under Marin Alsop. It should also be available for streaming--for at least a little while. (Maybe they'll also release a DVD/Blu-Ray?) I'm not a regular Great Performances viewer, so I've got no guesses as to the likely sound/surround quality.

A short preview clip and a couple of documentary promos at the link below:

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/leonard-bernstein-mass-about/11281/

Talking about Sibelius in another thread, a reminder that this RCA recording would make a great D-V issue: Sibelius* - Eugene Ormandy, The Philadelphia Orchestra - Symphony No. 2

Columbia also recorded Bernstein doing the Sibelius 4th Symphony and Stokowski doing the 1st Symphony , each originally paired with The Swan of Tuonela.

Wasn't aware of the Bernstein & Stokowski. Would love to see Dutton get around to all of Ormandy's RCA quads. High hopes, since they've done a couple already...

Beethoven's 250th birthday is next year. There was a lot of releases in quad on European labels, including complete cycles from Eugen Jochum and Rudolf Kempe, but Dutton doesn't seem to be working much with Universal/Warner Classics. On Sony-controlled labels there's only really two records I see - Isaac Stern's recording of the Beethoven Violin Concerto with Daniel Barenboim, and Leopold Stokowski conducting Beethoven's 3rd Symphony and the Coriolan Overture. Each is about 50 minutes, so coupling them wouldn't work.
Stern: Beethoven - Stern, Barenboim, New York Philharmonic – Violin Concerto In D Major, Op. 61 (Vinyl)
Stokowski: Beethoven, Leopold Stokowski, The London Symphony Orchestra – Stokowski Conducts Symphony #3 "Eroica" / Coriolan Overture (1975, Vinyl)

@ubertrout, I know that a former-QQ-member-who-shall-not-be-named did a software decode of the Kempe cycle (from SQ LP). Have you heard it--or any other decode--and if so, can you comment on the quad mix?

Last edited:
@ubertrout, I know that a former-QQ-member-who-shall-not-be-named did a software decode of the Kempe cycle (from SQ LP). Have you heard it--or any other decode--and if so, can you comment on the quad mix?
I don't think I have? I'm away from my listening station for the next few weeks anyway, but it's probably in the ether waiting to be found when I return.

Back