Quantcast

Suggestions for Dutton Epoch Classical Multichannel SACDs

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Beethoven's 250th birthday is next year. There was a lot of releases in quad on European labels, including complete cycles from Eugen Jochum and Rudolf Kempe, but Dutton doesn't seem to be working much with Universal/Warner Classics. On Sony-controlled labels there's only really two records I see - Isaac Stern's recording of the Beethoven Violin Concerto with Daniel Barenboim, and Leopold Stokowski conducting Beethoven's 3rd Symphony and the Coriolan Overture. Each is about 50 minutes, so coupling them wouldn't work.
Stern: https://www.discogs.com/Beethoven-Stern-Barenboim-New-York-Philharmonic-Violin-Concerto-In-D-Major-Op-61/release/8179664
Stokowski: https://www.discogs.com/Beethoven-Leopold-StokowskiLondon-Symphony-Orchestra-Stokowski-Conducts-Symphony-3-Eroica-Coriolan-O/release/8933218
It could be a two disc set for £19.99. I'd surely buy it. As for Warners: they're literally sitting on hundreds of Angel QUAD classical masters which AFAIK, were only released in SQ Vinyl form. What a waste!

Cassetto

Dutton seems to have easy access to Columbia/Sony titles and "The World Of Harry Partch", which was quad and stereo on Columbia Masterworks in 1972, has never once seen a CD release. I know a lot of people who would be thrilled to see that come out as a hybrid with quad. We're a fringy lot, but there are plenty of us.

ubertrout

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Dutton seems to have easy access to Columbia/Sony titles and "The World Of Harry Partch", which was quad and stereo on Columbia Masterworks in 1972, has never once seen a CD release. I know a lot of people who would be thrilled to see that come out as a hybrid with quad. We're a fringy lot, but there are plenty of us.
Sony actually recently released this (stereo CD only) as part of a budget box of 20th century material:

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Interesting choice, Cassetto. I have the original Columbia Stereo LP. I can only imagine how amazing it would sound in QUAD from the original masters!

humprof

I do hope eventually D~V Epoch sees fit to release on QUAD SACD Leonard Bernstein's definitive version of his MASS.
Tonight (15 May 2020) PBS is showing the 2019 Ravinia Festival staging of MASS by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra under Marin Alsop. It should also be available for streaming--for at least a little while. (Maybe they'll also release a DVD/Blu-Ray?) I'm not a regular Great Performances viewer, so I've got no guesses as to the likely sound/surround quality.

A short preview clip and a couple of documentary promos at the link below:

ubertrout

Speakin' of Stokowski, Dave Hurwitz just mentioned his Brahms 4th Symphony with the New Philharmonia, recorded in quad for RCA, as his "ideal" version of the piece. This is available on Dolby Surround CD (coupled with his Mahler 2nd from the same period), but it would be great to get a discrete quad SACD...