Suggestions for Dutton Epoch Classical Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I and many other QQ Posters have enjoyed the Dutton~Epoch release Boulez conducts Bartok immensely and would love for this to be released as well:

See the source image

And if there are any other classical quad releases done in the manner of Boulez Conducts Bartok Concerto for Orchestra I will certainly add it to my modest collection of classical titles.

Definitely check out the Petrushka & Pulnicella suite from Dutton Epoch. Petrushka is ambient, but Pulnicella is super discrete in the style of the Bartok. Mixed by the great Larry Keyes.

This version of The Planets is another very active mix in the style of the Bartok, also mixed by Keyes. Again, Sony wrecked it on their SACD release from years ago. Would love a D-V release wth the proper mix. I've only ever heard the decoded LP, which is surprisingly good.

I and many other QQ Posters have enjoyed the Dutton~Epoch release Boulez conducts Bartok immensely and would love for this to be released as well:

See the source image
There's a weird number of Boulez conducting Ravel SACDs, but none including his complete Daphnis as I recall. There's this 1994 recording in ambient surround (from a 24/44.1 source), from much later in his career:
71yuwz3JXNL._SL500_.jpg

Then there's this one, a stereo-only SACD from Sony:

81fflVN-GfL._SL500_.jpg

And then there's this one, with some of the same recordings in Sony's weird 5.0 mix missing the rear channels:

71uj7mvRKcL._SL500_.jpg

This might seem like an argument against it, but it would actually be great to get the complete Daphnis. Andrew Kazdin was doing really great production and quad mixes, and Boulez was in his prime, offering bracingly new interpretations of works that had become a bit tired.

Edit to add: There are admittedly many great versions of the complete Daphnis on SACD already, but at least to me that's not a huge factor - always room for more interpretations IMO: https://www.hraudio.net/recordings.php?work=100

Definitely check out the Petrushka & Pulnicella suite from Dutton Epoch. Petrushka is ambient, but Pulnicella is super discrete in the style of the Bartok. Mixed by the great Larry Keyes.

This version of The Planets is another very active mix in the style of the Bartok, also mixed by Keyes. Again, Sony wrecked it on their SACD release from years ago. Would love a D-V release wth the proper mix. I've only ever heard the decoded LP, which is surprisingly good.
They wrecked it as in that they included a surround mix from the quad tapes, but they ruined the discreetness of the four channels by making blurry track assignments?

See the source image
I’d expect the Boulez “Rite of Spring” in quad from this same era would be a higher priority release for D/V. Unless they already did it and I missed it.

I would add Dutton's reissues of Mahler's 1st & 4th symphonies (LSO & CSO/James Levine) and Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky (Philadelphia Orchestra/Eugene Ormandy). Also--and I really need to defer here to @ubertrout and others (Ralph, was it you?) who who can testify about them more knowledgeably than I--pretty much any of the Pentatone Remastered Classics series featuring Seiji Ozawa and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, engineered and mixed by Thomas Mowrey.

Last edited:
I would add Dutton's reissues of Mahler's 1st & 4th symphonies (LSO & CSO/James Levine) and Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky (Philadelphia Orchestra/Eugene Ormandy). Also--and I really need to defer here to @ubertrout and others (Ralph, was it you?) who who can testify about them more knowledgeably than I--pretty much any of the Pentatone Remastered Classics series featuring Seiji Ozawa and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, engineered and mixed by Thomas Mowrey.

AGREE with ALL your choices, humprof. At D~V and Pentatone's CURRENT PRICES, if one has ANY interest in Classical .... buy them all. They represent a major bang for the buck and Pentatone's DGG/Philips QUAD SACD reissues, even though MOST are ambient are the FIRST TIME these two label's releases have ever been released in a QUAD format [including Vinyl].

I’d expect the Boulez “Rite of Spring” in quad from this same era would be a higher priority release for D/V. Unless they already did it and I missed it.
The version Boulez recorded in late 1968 in Cleveland is pre-quad, which is unfortunate, all we'll get barring a new mix is Sony's stereo SACD. It's one of my favorite recordings of the work. Bernstein's version from London is quad though.

preparing myself for some Easy, Classical or Country which i'll be happy with anyway.. but if it turns out to be Rock/Pop up next i'll be even happier! hopefully not too long now!
This is the right attitude (although like everyone else, I'll shift around genres as my own priorities). Less asking for Aerosmith, more seeing what's to come. I'm all ready to do a big order of the Tomita Firebird and a number of the earlier releases once the next classical slate is released.

This is the right attitude (although like everyone else, I'll shift around genres as my own priorities). Less asking for Aerosmith, more seeing what's to come. I'm all ready to do a big order of the Tomita Firebird and a number of the earlier releases once the next classical slate is released.

do you have a preference for Quads over new recordings?
previous Classical batches have been a mixture of new productions and new surround mixes by Mr.Dutton and some old Quad reissues, one batch was skewed towards new mixes and one before that more toward Quad, its been an interesting swathe of releases with a lot of variety!

do you have a preference for Quads over new recordings?
previous Classical batches have been a mixture of new productions and new surround mixes by Mr.Dutton and some old Quad reissues, one batch was skewed towards new mixes and one before that more toward Quad, its been an interesting swathe of releases with a lot of variety!
In theory I prefer new recordings. The fidelity is better, and I like supporting new recording endeavors etc.

In practice, most of these quads were the very best orchestras/conductors/soloists of the 20th century, being recorded by the best teams in the world at the time with no expense spared (expenses they really don't spend anymore on classical), and mixed in a creative way into quadraphonic surround. And much of the music being recorded was cornerstones of the classical repertoire.

An awful lot being recorded nowadays is (a) first-tier orchestras/performers playing music live, but in results that are generally above-average but rarely awe-inspiring, (b) provincial orchestras in middling interpretations of well-known works, (c) obscure works being recorded for among the first times, and (d) bizarre transcriptions, modern pieces no-one has heard of, and other material with no obvious audience. There are obvious exceptions to this, and I tend to pick up the results, especially from the major SACD labels like BIS, Pentatone, and Channel. But...if I'm going to get another SACD of a warhorse, it needs to be something extraordinary.

Dutton is kind of an interesting example of this, in that their own recordings are focused specifically on forgotten nooks and crannies of British orchestral music. The audience for this really isn't the surround sound folks - it's people who are interested in hearing every note Elgar wrote, plus some he didn't, and to hear all 32 symphonies of Havergal Brian. That doesn't mean I haven't picked them up - I like the Vaughan Williams disc they released recently, for instance, but hearing Pierre Boulez and the New York Philharmonic perform Bartok's Concerto for orchestra is just an experience of a different caliber.

I don't mean this as a knock, but there's a reason people are sometimes more excited about the quad releases than new recordings - it's just that the caliber of music-making and work that went into engineering many of these classical quads is of a different level from a typical modern classical SACD. There are many exceptions, to be clear, but there's more than a kernel of truth to this IMO.

...but hearing Pierre Boulez and the New York Philharmonic perform Bartok's Concerto for orchestra is just an experience of a different caliber.

How does this version compare to the living stereo sacd, is it worth double dipping if i have the LS?

The version Boulez recorded in late 1968 in Cleveland is pre-quad, which is unfortunate, all we'll get barring a new mix is Sony's stereo SACD. It's one of my favorite recordings of the work. Bernstein's version from London is quad though.
The Bernstein “Rite of Spring” is a London UK recording? I thought that old quad LP is NY Phil on Columbia? The Columbia quad recording is what I would expect to appear on multi-Chan SACD before any other Boulez. I can almost see the darn SACD of this recording. Was it out 15 years ago on Sony? I recall it being good played in stereo - but never got to hear it decoded.

The Bernstein “Rite of Spring” is a London UK recording? I thought that old quad LP is NY Phil on Columbia? The Columbia quad recording is what I would expect to appear on multi-Chan SACD before any other Boulez. I can almost see the darn SACD of this recording. Was it out 15 years ago on Sony? I recall it being good played in stereo - but never got to hear it decoded.
Nope. The 1958 stereo version is with New York, the 1972 quad version is with the London Symphony: https://www.discogs.com/BernsteinLo...avinsky-Le-Sacre-Du-Printemps/release/3469243

New York or London--it's Larry Keyes. I'll take it!
Ok mixed for quad in NY is close enough for me.

Nope. The 1958 stereo version is with New York, the 1972 quad version is with the London Symphony: https://www.discogs.com/BernsteinLo...avinsky-Le-Sacre-Du-Printemps/release/3469243
Yep that’s that’s the one. Now don’t that one deserve a quad SACD reissue before many classical albums from the true quad era. Unless it turns out to be an ambient rear channel letdown.

Back