Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Boomtown Rats session mentioned is here: BBC - Radio 1 - Keeping It Peel - 15/05/1978 Boomtown Rats. Recorded at BBC Maida Vale on 15/05/1978, produced by Tony Wilson. It was then broadcast on Peel on the TX (transmission) date. This would fit in with the details quoted, as the Alan Freeman show, in quad, was the following day. So it seems very likely that they broadcast a quad remix of the Peel session from the night before, as was done with other Peel sessions. Alan Freeman - BBC Radio 1 England - 27 May 1978 - BBC Genome. So sadly this does not imply a missing quad album in the record company vaults. 🙁 It will be four tracks only and if they do still exist they will most likely be in the BBC vaults.

That's very interesting information you have supplied @artwwweb, and most revealing.
So at best the Record Labels , who own the BBC Discrete Quad Masters made from multi's ,would have at a minimum only 3-5 tracks.
Exceptions would be Pink Floyd's -Wish You Were Here , and likely Tull. (maybe 1 or 2 others ).

I always suspected John Peel would have had a go at broadcasting some of the Quad H and HJ . Rather confirms what I read in the past , from a variety of British Mags in that time period.
BTW Alan Freeman states "album tracks" when introducing something non live , without audience.

I still wouldn't mind Dutton Vocalion obtaining those quads , also known as "Tony Wilson Quad Creations".
Oh yes indeed ! ,I'd buy it ....if it only had 4 quad tracks. Also one thing to keep in mind Michael Dutton has mixed in quad some missing tracks in his SACD'S ( I think from multi's ).

I've only heard 2 of the BBC H Quad tracks from The Stranglers broadcast .
I'm guessing there would be 4 originally , which I think was John Peel 's Show.
BTW , the title track "No More Heroes" is one of the better quad mixes I've heard.

You say it was Maida Vale sessions , which I had suspected myself at one time , but yes that's likely what they are.
I recently , about 4 days ago , googled Boomtown Rats At the Beeb , and found nothing for back in the 70's.
But I did manage to catch an interview w/recordings at Maida Vale in 2014 . The only thing was that there was obvious audience in attendance . This I find strange as none of the "sessions albums" I listed have any trace whatsoever of a live audience . Either that changed over the years since the broadcasts or more of those listings are actual albums ? I found that somewhat confusing .

Don't worry though I tend to believe your explanation that they were mixed as you state.(Maida Vale)

Anyway I would hope one day that these Broadcasts of Tony Wilson's Quad Creations receive a spit and polish, so anyone who should like to hear them gets that chance.

Afterall that's what everyone who enjoys quad should have ...as the opportunity to obtain them for their collections.
They are very good quad mixes FWIW .

:)

That's very interesting information you have supplied @artwwweb, and most revealing.
So at best the Record Labels , who own the BBC Discrete Quad Masters made from multi's ,would have at a minimum only 3-5 tracks.
Exceptions would be Pink Floyd's -Wish You Were Here , and likely Tull. (maybe 1 or 2 others ).

I always suspected John Peel would have had a go at broadcasting some of the Quad H and HJ . Rather confirms what I read in the past , from a variety of British Mags in that time period.
BTW Alan Freeman states "album tracks" when introducing something non live , without audience.

I still wouldn't mind Dutton Vocalion obtaining those quads , also known as "Tony Wilson Quad Creations".
Oh yes indeed ! ,I'd buy it ....if it only had 4 quad tracks. Also one thing to keep in mind Michael Dutton has mixed in quad some missing tracks in his SACD'S ( I think from multi's ).

I've only heard 2 of the BBC H Quad tracks from The Stranglers broadcast .
I'm guessing there would be 4 originally , which I think was John Peel 's Show.
BTW , the title track "No More Heroes" is one of the better quad mixes I've heard.

You say it was Maida Vale sessions , which I had suspected myself at one time , but yes that's likely what they are.
I recently , about 4 days ago , googled Boomtown Rats At the Beeb , and found nothing for back in the 70's.
But I did manage to catch an interview w/recordings at Maida Vale in 2014 . The only thing was that there was obvious audience in attendance . This I find strange as none of the "sessions albums" I listed have any trace whatsoever of a live audience . Either that changed over the years since the broadcasts or more of those listings are actual albums ? I found that somewhat confusing .

Don't worry though I tend to believe your explanation that they were mixed as you state.(Maida Vale)

Anyway I would hope one day that these Broadcasts of Tony Wilson's Quad Creations receive a spit and polish, so anyone who should like to hear them gets that chance.

Afterall that's what everyone who enjoys quad should have ...as the opportunity to obtain them for their collections.
They are very good quad mixes FWIW .

:)

These days sessions are often live sometimes they invite an audience. But in the 70s sessions at Maida Vale were 'normal' recording sessions. So no audience.

(In the early days of the BBC, most music was live. When the BBC started playing more records, the Musician's Union insisted that a proportion of music was still 'live', so that records weren't putting people out of a job. So these special recording sessions were kept going even though the standard studio recordings were available. In time, the sessions weren't needed but were kept because it allowed people like Peel to play exclusive recordings.)

I don't think Peel broadcast in quad, it seems they were remixed and then broadcast on Alan Freeman.

Totally agree, it would be great if all the sessions were released. I think it would be a difficult sell, though 🙁. To non-quad fans, it would be a strange mixture of mid-70s rock. It's not really DV's style, but if anybody can do it, they can!

One small piece of good news. I think the BBC is the rights holder. A lot of the stereo sessions have been released, and they always refer to the BBC and not the band's label at the time of recording, just the label that the session is released on. E.g. The Damned – The Peel Sessions (1987, Vinyl) (A special label, Strange Fruit, was set up in the 1980s to release the sessions. Strange Fruit.)

This release by The Fall covers many decades. The Fall changed record label every few years. But there is no mention of any of them on this release, just the BBC and the current label. So I'm certain that it's the BBC that hold the rights. The Fall – The Complete Peel Sessions 1978 - 2004 (2005, CD)

Also, a lot of archive sessions, from the 60s onwards, are still broadcast every week, so I think they do still hold the rights. So that might make things simpler.

These days sessions are often live sometimes they invite an audience. But in the 70s sessions at Maida Vale were 'normal' recording sessions. So no audience.

(In the early days of the BBC, most music was live. When the BBC started playing more records, the Musician's Union insisted that a proportion of music was still 'live', so that records weren't putting people out of a job. So these special recording sessions were kept going even though the standard studio recordings were available. In time, the sessions weren't needed but were kept because it allowed people like Peel to play exclusive recordings.)

I don't think Peel broadcast in quad, it seems they were remixed and then broadcast on Alan Freeman.

Totally agree, it would be great if all the sessions were released. I think it would be a difficult sell, though 🙁. To non-quad fans, it would be a strange mixture of mid-70s rock. It's not really DV's style, but if anybody can do it, they can!

One small piece of good news. I think the BBC is the rights holder. A lot of the stereo sessions have been released, and they always refer to the BBC and not the band's label at the time of recording, just the label that the session is released on. E.g. The Damned – The Peel Sessions (1987, Vinyl) (A special label, Strange Fruit, was set up in the 1980s to release the sessions. Strange Fruit.)

This release by The Fall covers many decades. The Fall changed record label every few years. But there is no mention of any of them on this release, just the BBC and the current label. So I'm certain that it's the BBC that hold the rights. The Fall – The Complete Peel Sessions 1978 - 2004 (2005, CD)

Also, a lot of archive sessions, from the 60s onwards, are still broadcast every week, so I think they do still hold the rights. So that might make things simpler.

@artwwweb
Are you certain that John Peel never broadcast any quad encoded shows ? See your post comments in #2099 ?

it's rather contradictory for him not to, as I have an article written by Peel on the state of quadraphonics in Britian.

And over here some of the BBC SQ broadcasts/Transcription Services are or were available on Griffin music cd's .
And I have one on the True North label by Procol Harum .

Thanks for the further information .

@artwwweb
Are you certain that John Peel never broadcast any quad encoded shows ? See your post comments in #2099 ?

it's rather contradictory for him not to, as I have an article written by Peel on the state of quadraphonics in Britian.

And over here some of the BBC SQ broadcasts/Transcription Services are or were available on Griffin music cd's .
And I have one on the True North label by Procol Harum .

Thanks for the further information .

No, I've just never seen any mention of it as far as I remember. The fact that (stereo) Peel sessions were rebroadcast in quad by Freeman implies that Freeman was the outlet for quad on Radio 1. (At the time, Radio 1 was mainly AM only. However, Peel was one of the few, like Freeman at that time, who broadcast on FM and hence in stereo. So it was certainly possible for Peel to have broadcast in quad.) If you search the BBC Genome site for 'quadraphonic' there are quite a few mentions of Freeman but none of Peel. (However, this only finds programmes that had 'quadraphonic' in the description.)

Interesting to hear about the article. I wonder if it's about quad in general, rather than the BBC. And probably earlier than 77? Don't forget Peel was playing Tubular Bells in 1973 but mainly punk/ new wave by 1977, so he may have moved on. I suspect quad was seen as part of the hippie/ prog old guard.

TS LPs will be live In Concert shows, rather than the shorter studio sessions, as far as I have ever seen.

@artwwweb
Peel's article is from 77 fwiw.
He does mention Matrix H Quad , but the overall article is a generalization. Two page article .

Oh btw , I also have Jonathan King broadcasting a BBC quad show . Kinda a best of , like Freeman did in Jan 78 and his is Jan 78 as well.

Attachments

• 20210601_104648.jpg
    20210601_104648.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210601_104716.jpg
    20210601_104716.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 73
@artwwweb

That "contradiction" only exits because you are making the mistake of assuming they were one and the same John Peel! They were not. The DJ had not the remotest interest in technology.

Last edited:
That "contradiction" only exits because you are making the mistake of assuming they were one and the same John Peel! They were not. The DJ had not the remotest interest in technology.

Yes of course I am .
John Peel was a disc jockey , radio promoter , record producer , and journalist.

So who was this 2nd John Peel ?

Moving right along ,.......I have found a few more possible quads -unreleased !
Some are from various QQ members reports on posts such as , Harrison Tape Guide , and Billboard Magazine.
Some are Rumoured , but some have an element of legitimacy. All should be on CBS/SONY or UMG .

So Hopefully the good people of DUTTON VOCALION can place these unreleased quads on their vault search list.

UMG
Atlanta Rhythm Section - Champagne Jam , and others
Canned Heat - Future Blues
Ozark Mountain Daredevils - Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Charles Earland - (title unknown)
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Unconditionally Guaranteed

CBS/SONY
Mamma's And The Pappa's - Greatest Hits
The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday
Edgar Winter - White Trash
Edgar Winter - Roadwork
Johnny Winter - Johnny Winter
Donovan - Essence To Essence
Randy California - Kaptain Kopter and the (Fabulous) Twirly Birds
Tom Scott & L A Express
New Riders Of The Purple Sage - Home , Home On The Road
Kenney Burrell - (title unknown)

-sorry I missed these prior .

Edit : Burrell

Last edited:
Some are from various QQ members reports on posts such as , Harrison Tape Guide , and Billboard Magazine.
Some are Rumoured , but some have an element of legitimacy. All should be on CBS/SONY or UMG .

So Hopefully the good people of DUTTON VOCALION can place these unreleased quads on their vault search list.

UMG

CBS/SONY
Edgar Winter - Roadwork
Tom Scott & L A Express

I forgot to mention some of these discs were exceptionally sleuthed by our very own Sleuth-Master :

Steelydave .

While some of those are interesting finds.... outside the Edgar Winter titles and Canned Heat.... I don't see a lot there that's very commercial. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've been loving what we've got so far, but, I'd kinda like to see some more heavy hitters. We've got the Guess Who's, they've started the BTO's.... let's do what it takes to get Jerry Reed, Waylon Jennings, Jim Croce, The Eagles, Dolly Parton, Mike Nesmith.... dare I say *gasp* maybe even an ELVIS title? C'mon.... FTD has all but ignored the Elvis multichannel stuff.... let somebody have a crack at it! It's worth a phone call and starting a dialogue, right? Look at the track record of this program! It's unearthed some amazing stuff!
Maybe re-issue the Elton John titles? Complete the set by issuing the whole kaboodle!
I honestly wouldn't mind paying a little extra for some BIG NAME artists.
oh..... and am I the only one who thinks we should go back to limiting the selection to maybe two titles to one disc or even a single title to one disc? I'm not a huge fan of the multi-disc sets when I'm really only going to play the multichannel disc. That's my only critique thus far.

UMG

CBS/SONY
Edgar Winter - Roadwork
Tom Scott & L A Express

The Mamas and The Papas would be UMG. They were originally on Dunhill/ABC. Those master tapes probably were destroyed in the fire, or were among those left on a loading dock, and were rained on.

While some of those are interesting finds.... outside the Edgar Winter titles and Canned Heat.... I don't see a lot there that's very commercial. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've been loving what we've got so far, but, I'd kinda like to see some more heavy hitters. We've got the Guess Who's, they've started the BTO's.... let's do what it takes to get Jerry Reed, Waylon Jennings, Jim Croce, The Eagles, Dolly Parton, Mike Nesmith.... dare I say *gasp* maybe even an ELVIS title? C'mon.... FTD has all but ignored the Elvis multichannel stuff.... let somebody have a crack at it! It's worth a phone call and starting a dialogue, right? Look at the track record of this program! It's unearthed some amazing stuff!
Maybe re-issue the Elton John titles? Complete the set by issuing the whole kaboodle!
I honestly wouldn't mind paying a little extra for some BIG NAME artists.
oh..... and am I the only one who thinks we should go back to limiting the selection to maybe two titles to one disc or even a single title to one disc? I'm not a huge fan of the multi-disc sets when I'm really only going to play the multichannel disc. That's my only critique thus far.
So, I'd vote no on...all of this. With the caveat that of course I'd purchase more commercial material if it was released, but I'd rather we got more overall than DV chasing a few big name acts, especially as, frankly, a lot of those acts are increasingly fading in commerciality.

Of course, the flip side is that if they've become more gettable as their public profile fades, then of course DV should go for it.

Back