Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance of circumnavigating Moe and Larry's Quadblock..?

(Seein' as these Vocalion titles are U.K releases and may just come under different licences or somethin'..? :eek: )

simonandgarfunkelmoeandlarry.jpg

Well they managed to 'find' the quad tapes for Diana Ross' 'The Last Time I Saw Him' as recently as 2008 for a stereo fold-down on the Hip-O Select 2 CD deluxe edition of the album. I have a feeling a lot of these 'cant finds' are more like 'can't be bothered to find'.

True! True! :upthumb

Unless it was a 'drop of the CD-4..!? :eek:

If you, like me, do not have the technical acumen to contribute conversions, you can still help. I have contributed several quad titles via loan from my collection to be converted. Those with rare titles on LP/Reel/Q8 may consider posting availability, so another member can make the conversion to a digital format for archival preservation.

Just a thought.

Well, I don't have the technical acumen ( :eek: ) but I have done 174 SQ LP transfers decoded by the SQ Vinyl chip-modified Surround Master unit so far this year.. and am contactable by PM for more info anytime :)

The reissues are all done that way. The reissue companies pay a guaranteed minimum to the record label owning the masters + they pay for each copy of the pressed discs.

Great business model.. one of my favourite phrases with this surround music caper - especially whenever somebody says surround doesn't sell and time and again it emerges these surround titles are out of print and going for megabucks; "these guys can only sell every copy they make!" :D

Maybe Vocalion now issuing 6 Quad titles at a time will give AF the impetus to ramp up their release schedule and give us more new Quad and 5.1 titles per year.. imagine if AF were to deliver 72 new Surround SACDs in 2016.. then we really would all go bankrupt.. POOR but HAPPY... haha..!! :eek:

I find it very promising that Vocalion is issuing quad SACD'S that were only available in Q8 back in the day.

Now I'm hoping they stretch from easy listening titles and venture forth with some RCA Guess Who's, Jefferson Airplane,Harry Nilsson, Youngbloods, Michael Nesmith, etc, etc.

Additionally, RCA/BMG ventured into Dolby 5.1 matrix in the 90's ,via Henry Mancini, The Cheiftans, Procol Harum, Yes and others.Although not quad (and 4ch is my preference usually), these are good surround candidates for SACD in my opinion.

Merry Christmas, Vocalion!!

and much success.

Fab! Thanks! Got Upswing already but will look into the Soft Music Sweet Lights :eek:

And MORE Ikea shelving. I'm sure by now the Buckley Ikea shelves are literally 'buckling' under extreme pressure and, Adam, if this flurry of QUAD reissues continues, unabated, you can retire your frothy fairy liquid to the Butler's, er, Buckley, pantry!:bounce17

Ps. Ralph, more than 4 Vocalion twofer SACDs just came out the Quad closet... ;)

Really.....do you have a list?

MoFi SUCKS the BIG wad, Adam. They've just released some Carly Simon STEREO SACDs (like her brilliant first album) which had CD~4 discrete vinyl releases and I AM ROYALLY PISSED, too.

I got the two Cramer titles, and I'm tickled. Not the kind of music I listen to all the time, but a lot more interesting than I thought they'd be. Excellent production and quite discrete with plenty in the rears. Sound quality is great. I ordered through Amazon.uk.

I'm surprised they didn't include one of Cramer's CD-4 Releases that has his big hit "Last Date" in Quad.
Oh well, time for another Floyd Cramer Multichannel SACD release from Vocalion/Dutton..... :)

Just ordered the Montenegro. I don't really like "Scenes and Themes", but I've never heard "Others By Brothers" so I went for it. If they put out "Hugo In Wonderland" I'll be super excited!

I'd vote for "Love Theme from the Godfather" and "Neil's Diamonds" if there is more Hugo coming to Vocalion/Dutton Multichannel SACD.

I'd vote for "Love Theme from the Godfather" and "Neil's Diamonds" if there is more Hugo coming to Vocalion/Dutton Multichannel SACD.

Oh let's just have them all and be done with it! :D

I think (I hope) Vocalion know now they have a hot bed of customers right here who have their cash in hand for this kinda stuff in Quad.. More! More! :eek:

WOW!! Thanks Dave! Amazing new find! :worthy Lets hope these sell well enough for Dutton Vocalion to really rip their way through the RCA/BMG/Sony vaults for loads more great Quad..!!! Just ordered the 2 x Mancini and the Hugo Montenegro SACDs (as they're the Quads I know out of that lot but I will probably get the others in the New Year too) from Amazon UK.. crikey.. who said 2015 was over for new surround releases..!? Haha.. :D ..Well, WHAT A YEAR for us Quaddies eh..!!! :yikes :wave

It might not hurt to send an email saying how nice the Andy Williams (Columbia) quad mixes are, which are owned by Sony/BMG as well. This might be the only label which would take your request seriously.

I think Mike was concerned about Cherry Red doing Quads being from needle drops rather than these excellent Vocalions.. but he will chime in and clarify himself no doubt?

Yes, Cherry Red. No issues with Dutton Vocalion.

It might not hurt to send an email saying how nice the Andy Williams (Columbia) quad mixes are, which are owned by Sony/BMG as well. This might be the only label which would take your request seriously.

Agreed. The other reissue labels do not focus on Easy Listening titles like Hugo Montenegro, Floyd Cramer, etc.

Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Jose Feliciano, Danny Davis & the Nashville Brass, Ronnie Milsap, Mac Davis, Andy Williams and Johnny Mathis would be obvious ones for them to consider licensing from Sony Music UK.

They might even be interested in some of the Easy Listening titles from Peter Nero (Summer of '42), Peter Matz, Ray Conniff, Percy Faith, Jim Nabors, Liza Minnelli, Ray Price, Al Hirt, Ed Ames, Eddy Arnold and Andre Kostelanetz in Quad.

One more thing. Since Dutton/Vocalition is licensing for the UK market, and not the US market, their licensing fees and guarantees from Sony UK are undoubtedly lower than the ones charged to the reissue labels in the U.S. by Sony Music USA. So titles, artists and two-fers that would not work out financially for the US reissue labels can work for them.

Since Dutton/Vocalition is licensing for the UK market, and not the US market, their licensing fees and guarantees from Sony UK are undoubtedly lower than the ones charged to the reissue labels in the U.S. by Sony Music USA. So titles, artists and two-fers that would not work out financially for the US reissue labels can work for them.

That's a very good and strong point to ponder.

Back