Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess — and this is just a guess, mind you — is that if DV is “focusing” on OOP titles it has less to do with the idea of no other product out there to compete with as it does the fact that they probably get these titles for dirt cheap. They know their customer base, and they seem intent on sticking to a certain, relatively low, price for the product. That probably means they have ceiling for which they are willing to pay to license ANY title.

Those Poco and Guess Who releases are able to reach a market of fans who haven’t seen those available in any format for years. That’s a good thing for them. But my guess is the labels and whoever else is involved in licensing those titles probably consider them “dead stock” at this point with no prospects of ever releasing them again so they are willing to let them go at a very reasonable fee.

I also wonder if, in some cases, the more established “audiophile” labels haven’t hurt themselves by setting a fairly high price they are willing to pay for licensing? MOFI or whoever comes knocking on your door and you’ve already established a relationship with them where they’ve never paid less than $XX for anything. So they now can’t get anything for under that price.

D-V comes along and asks about those Garfunkel titles in addition to the really obscure titles they’ve been picking through and you’re like “yeah sure. You can have ‘em”.

just a quick question/favour if i may..

does anyone here have high resolution scans of the rear inlays (with track info etc) of the latest DV Pop/Rock/Soul/Jazz batch (Chase, George Benson, both Billy Paul's, Weather Report) please?

would like to add them to the new Discogs submissions (don't think my usual half-assed wonky iPhone forum photos are gonna hack it somehow! ;) )

thanks in advance! (y)

I'm not saying their releases are not actually audiophile, I'm saying they're not targeted at the "audiophile" market segment the way AF and MoFi and AP are. Just about how they position themselves, and what records they license.

I hardly consider all those AF, AP and MoFi titles AUDIOPHILE in the true sense of the word. They all claim they're from the original analogue master tapes and IMO, they've succeeded to a degree but as with anything analogue, wear and tear on those magnetic masters and not even attempting to replicate them on the actual analogue machines they were originally recorded on tends to obscure the finer details.

I was also under the impression that actual absolute master tapes are no longer utilized but rather digital intermediates because of the fragility and perceived value of those tapes. Like Vinyl, every time you run those tapes through a machine there is a risk of oxide flaking, etc. and should a master get lost in transit.......lights OUT!

Furthermore, I'm sure those QUAD masters might be in better shape than their stereo counterparts as they've probably remained 'untouched' since the early 70's when QUAD Vinyl/Q8's were replicated in very limited quantities.

Last edited:
One more time for Michael Dutton,

I don't care if they are release as single album, will buy all.

BARRY MANILOW
- This One's for You. Arista AQ-4090 (CD4)
- Tryin' to Get the Feeling. Arista AQ-4060 (CD4), 7301-4060H (Q8)
- II. Arista AQ-4016 (CD4), 7301-4016H (Q8)

Please, Please.........

Regards,

I would expect Barry's management being very difficult to deal with, and very demanding cash!

They consider him a Superstar on par with Elton and Streisand. Lol!

I would expect Barry's management being very difficult to deal with, and very demanding cash!

Well, I don't know if he's on par with Streisand and Sir. Elton but in my book he's and awesome singer, song writer and entertainer and I would love to have some Quad SACD from him.

Regards,

So, I don't know the rules of the game....but is it possible for DV to do a single of The Divine Miss M?

Probably not, because it's a WEA (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic) title and Warner appears to have stopped licensing titles out to reissue labels. I think the last title they licensed out was Billy Cobham's Spectrum to Audio Fidelity.

So, I don't know the rules of the game....but is it possible for DV to do a single of The Divine Miss M?

From my recollection, my QUAD Open Reel version of The Divine Miss M is wildly discrete, sweet and ripe for the multichannel SACD treatment!

With Barry Manilow on piano and Melissa Manchester's back up vocals, it NEEDS to be heard! I had the privilege of hearing Bette, Barry and Melissa perform the entire album live in the 70's...an experience I'll never forget!

Last edited:
From my recollection, my QUAD Open Reel version of The Divine Miss M is wildly discrete, sweet and ripe for the multichannel SACD treatment!

With Barry Manilow on piano and Melissa Manchester's back up vocals, it NEEDS to be heard! I had the privilege of hearing Bette, Barry and Melissa perform the entire album live in the 70's...an experience I'll never forget!

You are right....it is pretty damn discrete. :) Perfect match for a new Dutton SACD version. Whoo hoo!

Another Gerhardt Film Series RCA QUAD which I wasn't even aware of ........

Errol-Flynn-Classic-Film-Scores-Quad-Quadraphonic.jpg

I don’t know that he’s quite on their level, but he has a VERY loyal and rabid fan base. I’m not really a fan but I know from working with some of this live concerts, many people would be surprised the size of his fan base.

I doubt many of them are quad or hi-Rez

Back