Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, I regret that rules only allow me to give your post a single “like.”

Y'know it's funny, back on the old forum we used to have separate "like" and "thank" buttons, so you actually could've! But in all seriousness thanks for your kind words, I could romanticize about these Columbia quads all day, to me they're on par with or perhaps in some cases even better than the best modern 5.1 attempts. I owe it to the forum for helping me learn all this stuff, and to these great reissue companies like AF or DV for getting these amazing old mixes out there for modern listeners to enjoy.

Y'know it's funny, back on the old forum we used to have separate "like" and "thank" buttons, so you actually could've! But in all seriousness thanks for your kind words, I could romanticize about these Columbia quads all day, to me they're on par with or perhaps in some cases even better than the best modern 5.1 attempts. I owe it to the forum for helping me learn all this stuff, and to these great reissue companies like AF or DV for getting these amazing old mixes out there for modern listeners to enjoy.

Right on, Jonathan. In all honesty, I've been quite disappointed with a LOT of current SURROUND remixes, especially considering one has to shell out big bucks for those box sets just to get the prize! Hoping [and praying] that D~V can continue their QUAD reissue program and can license QUAD/5.1 analogue masters from other labels because if you ever visit the QUADRAPHONIC DISCOGRAPHY website, there are still literally hundreds [if NOT thousands, counting Classical] of titles that are in dire need of re~release in a pristine digital format.

Last edited:
Would LOVE it if D~V could get their hands on the Jim Reeves original QUAD remixes of Simon and Garfunkel's BOOKENDS and Laura Nyro's magnificent Christmas and the Beads of Sweat!

R-1664926-1429611233-1279.jpeg.jpg

According to Quadraphonic Discography:
SIMON & GARFUNKEL -
Bookends.
{the engineer Jim Reeves claims to have mixed this one. QQ Forum, Q-Eight 11-11-2013}

MI0001970823.jpg

Last edited:
And then of course there's this one..... [if there is a QUAD GOD....pleeze]!

th

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN -
Born To Run.
{Someone I was in contact with for a while with close ties to CBS in NYC swore to
me that in the mid '70s CBS had created quad mixes of Born To Run.
SHM forum, kwadguy, Jan 13, 2004}
{There is supposedly a quad mix, made it to the test pressing / internal use stage.
SHM forum, kwadguy, Mar 7, 2010}
{Years ago, I was in correspondence with a guy who had a box full of otherwise
unknown quad LPs, discards apparently, which he obtained from a friend who'd
worked at CBS' black rock headquarters. They were apparently promo stamped as
quad, and included Springsteen's Born to Run. SHM forum, kwadguy, Mar 9, 2010}

Last edited:
Thought I'd bump this, added some new ones and pulled one we got (thanks for the Bartok!). Again, I try to stick within the realm of possibility (believe me, no one want wants Aerosmith's quads more than me).

Two-Fers:
Dave Mason- It's Like You Never Left & Dave Mason (my #1 pick right now)
O'Jays- Survival & Family Reunion
Harold Melvin- Black & Blue & Wake Up Everybody
MFSB- Love Is The Message & Philadelphia Freedom
REO Speedwagon- Lost In A Dream & This Time We Mean It
BS&T- Mirror Image & New City
Sly Stone- Small Talk & High On You
Redbone- Message From A Drum & Beaded Dreams Through Turquoise Eyes
Buddy Miles- Chapter VII & Booger Bear
Janis Ian- Between The Lines & Aftertones
Herbie Hancock- Sextant & Secrets
EWF- Spirit & That's The Way Of The World
Mahavishnu Orchestra- Between Nothingess & Apocalypse

Single Disc:
David Essex- Rock On
Raiders- Indian Reservation
Loggins & Messina- Native Sons
Wild Cherry- Electrified Funk
Labelle- Phoenix
BoC- Tyranny & Mutation
Santana & John McLaughlin- Love Devotion Surrender
Mott The Hoople- The Hoople

Maybe I ask for too much...though quite a few of my requests have been delivered upon :)

I like this list, very much.
My bank account, on the other hand, is quivering in fear

And then of course there's this one..... [if there is a QUAD GOD....pleeze]!

th

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN -
Born To Run.
{Someone I was in contact with for a while with close ties to CBS in NYC swore to
me that in the mid '70s CBS had created quad mixes of Born To Run.
SHM forum, kwadguy, Jan 13, 2004}
{There is supposedly a quad mix, made it to the test pressing / internal use stage.
SHM forum, kwadguy, Mar 7, 2010}
{Years ago, I was in correspondence with a guy who had a box full of otherwise
unknown quad LPs, discards apparently, which he obtained from a friend who'd
worked at CBS' black rock headquarters. They were apparently promo stamped as
quad, and included Springsteen's Born to Run. SHM forum, kwadguy, Mar 9, 2010}

3 nice stories, 3 interesting variations on a theme.

are we looking for 'internal use' test presses?
or are we searching for stamped promo's?
are these records hiding in unmarked (Stereo) sleeves?
are they gold label? are they white label?

stamped promo Quads come up for sale all the time but i've never seen one for a promo Springsteen Quad, sadly.. and Quad test pressings do indeed come up, a lot less frequently than promo stamped Quad records but they do appear. just this year a Santana "Amigos" SQ test press lingered unsold on eBay in the U.S. and there's a Doobies Stampede CD-4 test pressing up on eBay in Germany right now.. however, not only did both see Quad release (and later in Quads' life at that) they are more common titles, especially "Amigos" which was released in SQ Quad form in multiple territories (U.S., Europe, Israel, Aus/N.Z., maybe elsewhere).

forgive me if i come across as a doubting Thomas, i'm just trying to get some more detail on these and what we're looking for in the wild. like many here i so wish one of these delightful stories of sightings would turn into a reality.

the nearest we've come that i can recall was the test press of the unreleased Quad of Leonard Cohen's "Songs Of Love And Hate" that sold on eBay a few years ago.. it gives me hope these tales of the existence of (and in some instances sightings of) CBS Quad LPs of Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run, Boston's 1st album, Dave Mason's Let It Flow, Blue Öyster Cult's Agents Of Fortune, etc.. might result in some "new" Quad mixes being unearthed.

amazingly, a few unreleased CBS Quads turned up in the form of Robin Reels (incl. Edgar Winter's White Trash w/Jerry LaCroix, Big Brother & The Holding Company's Cheap Thrills) but afaik these have never been spotted in test press SQ LP form?

3 nice stories, 3 interesting variations on a theme.

are we looking for 'internal use' test presses?
or are we searching for stamped promo's?
are these records hiding in unmarked (Stereo) sleeves?
are they gold label? are they white label?

stamped promo Quads come up for sale all the time but i've never seen one for a promo Springsteen Quad, sadly.. and Quad test pressings do indeed come up, a lot less frequently than promo stamped Quad records but they do appear. just this year a Santana "Amigos" SQ test press lingered unsold on eBay in the U.S. and there's a Doobies Stampede CD-4 test pressing up on eBay in Germany right now.. however, not only did both see Quad release (and later in Quads' life at that) they are more common titles, especially "Amigos" which was released in SQ Quad form in multiple territories (U.S., Europe, Israel, Aus/N.Z., maybe elsewhere).

forgive me if i come across as a doubting Thomas, i'm just trying to get some more detail on these and what we're looking for in the wild. like many here i so wish one of these delightful stories of sightings would turn into a reality.

the nearest we've come that i can recall was the test press of the unreleased Quad of Leonard Cohen's "Songs Of Love And Hate" that sold on eBay a few years ago.. it gives me hope these tales of the existence of (and in some instances sightings of) CBS Quad LPs of Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run, Boston's 1st album, Dave Mason's Let It Flow, Blue Öyster Cult's Agents Of Fortune, etc.. might result in some "new" Quad mixes being unearthed.

amazingly, a few unreleased CBS Quads turned up in the form of Robin Reels (incl. Edgar Winter's White Trash w/Jerry LaCroix, Big Brother & The Holding Company's Cheap Thrills) but afaik these have never been spotted in test press SQ LP form?

I can Dream, can't I, Adam?

Guess you just had to be there at Black Rock when they literally gave away cartons of LPs in the 70's with all those TEST QUAD PRESSINGS.........or like bobbin' Robbin, were privy to Quad Open Reel Masters.

All in all, it's been a GREAT YEAR for QUAD/5.1 and even fledgling Dolby Atmos....in fact, better than any of us could've anticipated.

And if you're especially good this year, Mate, maybe chubby ole Santa will slither down your chimney with some TEST QUAD pressings wrapped in Crimson bows and you, Santa and Mr. Smithers can get punch drunk on festive Prickly Pear Ale.

funny-santa-claus-pictures-6.jpg

Do I at least get a Brazilian Bikini Wax for a Born To Run Quad Test Pressing, Adam?

Last edited:

Dream a little dream of me...

BTR.jpg

BTW that's just my shitty photoshop impression... :ROFLMAO:

It was recorded in 1974 and released in 1975 so you'd think it must have been talked about in Quad circles? It's such a classic album with great depth as stated... Even If there wasn't a quad done back in the day I'd love for it to get a surround release. Surely (don't call me Shirley) they have the multi's somewhere?! I have A HDtracks (supposedly) 24/96 stereo version and was thinking this would be a great surround album just the other day... The Boss needs to be heard in surround... Accompanied by Pear Ale of couse!

BTW that's just my shitty photoshop impression... :ROFLMAO:

My apologies for being kinda anal- but since it was on Columbia and came out in 1975, it probably would've looked more like this:

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 6.13.33 PM.png

(...just took the integrated graphics from the Santana I SQ LP and dropped it on the album cover).

My apologies for being kinda anal- but since it was on Columbia and came out in 1975, it probably would've looked more like this:

View attachment 36828

(...just took the integrated graphics from the Santana I SQ LP and dropped it on the album cover).

nice! :love:
for a promo I thought why not go with the alternate cover art!
(by 75 the Quad logo thing would've shrunk more but still..)

nGQmMaA.jpeg

Guess you just had to be there at Black Rock when they literally gave away cartons of LPs in the 70's with all those TEST QUAD PRESSINGS.........or like bobbin' Robbin, were privy to Quad Open Reel Masters.

All in all, it's been a GREAT YEAR for QUAD/5.1 and even fledgling Dolby Atmos....in fact, better than any of us could've anticipated.

And if you're especially good this year, Mate, maybe chubby ole Santa will slither down your chimney with some TEST QUAD pressings wrapped in Crimson bows and you, Santa and Mr. Smithers can get punch drunk on festive Prickly Pear Ale.

funny-santa-claus-pictures-6.jpg

Do I at least get a Brazilian Bikini Wax for a Born To Run Quad Test Pressing, Adam?

of course, Ralph! dream on, I'm not here to burst anyone's bubble! :)
I'm just looking for hard data, if any unreleased Quad wabbit hunting's gonna pay off we need more than tales from the black mountain crypt, we need facts and pics! they don't call me Indiana Phones for nothin'! :phones

View attachment 36828

If DV did a 2-fer with the 80's classic Born in the USA it could end up like this?! :eek::D

BTRUSA.jpg

I think the time for the Springsteen was back in the early 2000s when Sony was doing their Single Layer MC SACDs- they could've done a new 5.1 mix or used this old quad if it does in fact exist. So many missed opportunities during that time...

At this point, I think Springsteen is probably too big/expensive for D-V to license, and Sony probably wants to hold on to his catalog for their own reissues. Maybe one day we'll see mega box sets of Born To Run and his other albums with some kind of surround mix included. Sony was behind those recent APP and Hendrix sets after all.

of course, Ralph! dream on, I'm not here to burst anyone's bubble! :)
I'm just looking for hard data, if any unreleased Quad wabbit hunting's gonna pay off we need more than tales from the black mountain crypt, we need facts and pics! they don't call me Indiana Phones for nothin'! :phones

It just seems incongruous that top artists of that era like Springsteen, Simon & Garfunkel, Boston and even Laura Nyro wouldn't be accorded QUAD LP or even Q8 releases...unless for one reason or another, the remixes were nixed by the artists themselves which is a distinct possibility.....especially considering the poor decoders of the time and Columbia Records lack of Open Reel release in deference to Q8.

Last edited:
It just seems incongruous that top artists of that era like Springsteen, Simon & Garfunkel, Boston and even Laura Nyro wouldn't be accorded QUAD LP or even Q8 releases...unless for one reason or another, the remixes were nixed by the artists themselves which is a distinct possibility.....especially considering the poor decoders of the time.

Columbia was doing this at a breakneck pace, and in most cases I think the artists weren't even aware of the quad mixes being done.

I think a lot of their mixes were dropped because they wouldn't encode to SQ properly- the fact that there are multiple mixes of Columbia quads (both released and unreleased titles) like BS&T II, Sly's Greatest Hits, Edgar Winter's White Trash, and Laura Nyro's Eli seems to support that theory.

The Boston was probably dropped because it was way late in the game (1977)- only a few releases from Columbia made it out that year before they completely pulled the plug. Stuff like RTF's Musicmagic and the Isley Brothers' Go For Your Guns.

I think the time for the Springsteen was back in the early 2000s when Sony was doing their Single Layer MC SACDs- they could've done a new 5.1 mix or used this old quad if it does in fact exist. So many missed opportunities during that time...

At this point, I think Springsteen is probably too big/expensive for D-V to license, and Sony probably wants to hold on to his catalog for their own reissues. Maybe one day we'll see mega box sets of Born To Run and his other albums with some kind of surround mix included. Sony was behind those recent APP and Hendrix sets after all.

the Springsteen camp was not anti-surround i guess, since we did get a couple of 5.1 music releases; Live In New York City SACD and the Devils & Dust DualDisc and CD/DVD-V combo, sadly the surround mixes as we know aren't upto much on either.. and then you had the Seeger Sessions DualDisc, with Bob Clearmountain at the helm = Stereo only (D'OH!) but there's always a glimmer, i never say never!

Back