Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you figure how much is out there that may have been mixed for a quad release that never materialized, or where multichannel masters still exist, that could truly be mind-boggling. Of course there's a market for it! Getting the word out there is, basically, up to us. I'm very grateful for DV for the wonderful hybrid SACD's they've given us so far, but if we don't help spread the word that these discs are out there, DV could go the way of Audio Fidelity and others, who gave us some great releases, then abruptly stopped. Rhino did it with their Quadio series discs. I'll be happy to get my surround music on SACD, DVD, or Blu-Ray Audio, but I just want it to sound great. I like the variety of genres that DV have been giving us, so let's give them all the support we can.
I just think that the speed and numbers of titles that MJD masters, and his team works the liner notes & artwork, then has it all produced at a fantastic price, has been incredible. I also believe there’s lots more coming; just depends on the condition of tapes and if they’re available. They’ve done Easy listening to Rock, Soul, Jazz, Classical, Country, and Electronic. Just a little light on the Blues & Funk; but hey that’s more to hope for in the future releases!

I'm going to be in a major minority here. And, it's far from a complaint as I will continue to buy every title that is within striking distance of my tastes.....

But, I'm burned out on Funk stuff. It all starts sounding the same to me...regardless of the artist. I'm hoping we get more "rock" type titles, or even.......hold your pants on.....easy listening. Yes, I Like easy listening more than funk. I know, I know. :hi

I am of the mind that all D-V does is gold. I just might not play some titles as often. I have been in a financial crunch the last few months but plan on catching up on many titles soon before they disappear like the AF stuff did. I am only missing a couple of the AF quad titles that I still want. I don't plan on that happening with D-V if I can help it. As to being a bit light on blues and funk, there never was a great amount of it back then and I will take any I can get my grubby little fingers on. When it comes to D-V titles, I have become like Golum! I am holding off on the easy listening stuff for now but am glad it too is being restored and released. I will get it all eventually, it is my destiny!

I'm going to be in a major minority here. And, it's far from a complaint as I will continue to buy every title that is within striking distance of my tastes.....

But, I'm burned out on Funk stuff. It all starts sounding the same to me...regardless of the artist. I'm hoping we get more "rock" type titles, or even.......hold your pants on.....easy listening. Yes, I Like easy listening more than funk. I know, I know. :hi
I have my fingers crossed for Caravanserai, Welcome & Santana/McLaughlin

I'd love to see DV get into the UMG vaults (what's left of them) and give us the remaining Moody Blues and Elton John albums on SACD.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if those artists are dead before that happens, unfortunately.

Would love to see D-V get hold of the Black Jazz catalog--though I seem to remember reading somewhere that while the QS-encoded masters are still around, the multi-tracks and the discrete quad masters aren't. (And I think only one or two of the releases ever had a discrete--QR--release to begin with? Doug Carn's Revelation was one; not sure about others.) I'd like to be corrected if I'm wrong...

Do you know that as being definitive?

Or we can interpret that as 🐾 [clawing] your way to the top as King of ALL Surround Medium, JP!

See the source image

Last edited:
Do you know that as being definitive?

well Pup, i'm not Ralph.. but my 2p's worth, fwiw, is i surmise next to nobody here knows for sure either way.

also, i think in this case the fire maybe a potential red herring because people were saying the A&M Quad masters were supposedly MIA before 2008.

i'm speculating along with the rest of us but i imagine some tapes may be languishing in storage in other countries and not in the U.S. at all.. the later Cat Stevens Quads mixed in the UK could still be in the UK? Quincy, Bacharach = last seen in Japan?

all that said, if a label like DV were to tackle the A&M Quads i feel sure they would pull out all the stops to find the best sources they could and we wouldn't get a repeat performance of that Six Wives SQ decode debacle.

well Pup, i'm not Ralph.. but my 2p's worth, fwiw, is i surmise next to nobody here knows for sure either way.

also, i think in this case the fire maybe a potential red herring because people were saying the A&M Quad masters were supposedly MIA before 2008.

i'm speculating along with the rest of us but i imagine some tapes may be languishing in storage in other countries and not in the U.S. at all.. the later Cat Stevens Quads mixed in the UK could still be in the UK? Quincy, Bacharach = last seen in Japan?

all that said, if a label like DV were to tackle the A&M Quads i feel sure they would pull out all the stops to find the best sources they could and we wouldn't get a repeat performance of that Six Wives SQ decode debacle.
A fine 2ps it is ABB 🧐
I assume nothing:)
Party 🎊 on 🖖

They wouldn't want to pay for doing it, but they should remix/remaster and issue (for the first time) a quad version of Blood, Sweat & Tears' "New Blood" and "No Sweat" albums. They're far better (both of them) than "Mirror Image" or "New City" in terms of Music. But the heavy lift for front end investment wouldn't be insignificant. If Kassem and Acoustic Sounds won't do it, they could slip in and I feel fairly certain it'd be worth their return on investment. Impex did it with "CIFTTM" and it wasn't a Billboard Top 100 album either.

They wouldn't want to pay for doing it, but they should remix/remaster and issue (for the first time) a quad version of Blood, Sweat & Tears' "New Blood" and "No Sweat" albums. They're far better (both of them) than "Mirror Image" or "New City" in terms of Music. But the heavy lift for front end investment wouldn't be insignificant. If Kassem and Acoustic Sounds won't do it, they could slip in and I feel fairly certain it'd be worth their return on investment. Impex did it with "CIFTTM" and it wasn't a Billboard Top 100 album either.

And yet, somebody had to foot the bill to remix two songs to complete Paul Revere & The Raiders' "Hard & Heavy" Quad album. Not to mention, D-V has remixed some classical stuff along the way as well. So, it's not unheard of, but certainly not the norm. As I said in a previous post, I think Mr. Dutton is on a mission to prove that there IS indeed a market for this stuff and it's now or never to start a) locating these items and, b) doing something with them. He and the Company have been getting good press in some publications. I hope it's profitable enough and he becomes popular enough so that maybe he could become the Steve Hoffman or Elliot Scheiner of the new Quad era where he becomes the "go-to" guy for surround or vintage-style Quad remixes.

Back