Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some great CTI's and Kudu's hopefully soon to be released. I love these two albums. They feature great mixes and solid musicianship. To have these on Quad SACD would be truly amazing. The Grover Washington, Jr. album is a double album so it could be a stand alone title. The Stanley Turrentine could be paired with a Stereo album like Salt Song or Sugar Man. All great albums from the period.

Stanley Turrentine ‎– Don't Mess With Mister T.

R-2868373-1304801105.jpeg.jpg

Grover Washington, Jr. ‎– Soul Box

R-8289020-1515733573-3813.jpeg.jpg
Some great CTI's and Kudu's hopefully soon to be released. I love these two albums. They feature great mixes and solid musicianship. To have these on Quad SACD would be truly amazing. The Grover Washington, Jr. album is a double album so it could be a stand alone title. The Stanley Turrentine could be paired with a Stereo album like Salt Song or Sugar Man. All great albums from the period.

Stanley Turrentine ‎– Don't Mess With Mister T.

R-2868373-1304801105.jpeg.jpg

Grover Washington, Jr. ‎– Soul Box

R-8289020-1515733573-3813.jpeg.jpg

I'll sit this one out. Not into classicals.

Will be ready for the rock, folk, or even country discs. I'm still hoping for some Gordon Lightfoot.

Until D~V can sign a deal with RHINO/WARNER, karlkastner, Gordon Lightfoot and all those wonderful Warner QUADs [and associated Warner labels] are OFF THE TABLE.

I can wait for the quad stuff already released on quad reel, their sound quality is acceptable for now. Most necessary are those only released on Q8, or never released. I love what's been coming, but I want more, soon. It's been a long wait.

And yet, somebody had to foot the bill to remix two songs to complete Paul Revere & The Raiders' "Hard & Heavy" Quad album. Not to mention, D-V has remixed some classical stuff along the way as well. So, it's not unheard of, but certainly not the norm. As I said in a previous post, I think Mr. Dutton is on a mission to prove that there IS indeed a market for this stuff and it's now or never to start a) locating these items and, b) doing something with them. He and the Company have been getting good press in some publications. I hope it's profitable enough and he becomes popular enough so that maybe he could become the Steve Hoffman or Elliot Scheiner of the new Quad era where he becomes the "go-to" guy for surround or vintage-style Quad remixes.
It happened before with DTS, Sony agreed to open its vaults, I gave my opinion (as a record/CD store owner) to Tad on which titles would sell best, the list was sent in, the first batch got released, but the second batch got stopped and shortly after came news of SACD. Sony released some selections on its own and the door slammed shut.

I can wait for the quad stuff already released on quad reel, their sound quality is acceptable for now. Most necessary are those only released on Q8, or never released. I love what's been coming, but I want more, soon. It's been a long wait.
The stuff previously on SQ (and likely Q8) is just amazing to hear upgraded on SACD 4.0.

In fact I bought duplicate copies of several because I just love hearing an upgrade from SQ/Q8 to 4.0 SACD. Here’s the funny thing, I sold off my Bread and my Doors AF SACDs without having 2nd copies of them on hand. Prices went high enough for me and they seem less important being there were Q4 tapes of both. The BOC and Loggins & Messina SACD second copies I can’t part with yet. Those were dreams come true, and no Q4s to speak of. I bought extras to help Audio Fidelity’s bottom line, and to flip later and break even on the collecting of these titles.

Last edited:
Any of the Aristas would be great. The two-fer Melissa Manchester, a two-fer or three-fer of Barry Manilow, I would be OK with Tony Orlando & Dawn's Greatest Hits as a single disc BUT I would also add just for fun, could the two songs that appear on Quadra-mono get remixed for the first time?

Breckers, Outlaws, Eric Carmen.... any of those would be great.

On the topic of Coumbia titles.... how about the two Janis Ian titles that were SQ only? Would be another first time available in discrete!

Back