Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hoping to see Godspell too, but that's Arista so I don't know the story on those tapes. I'm not trying to offend anyone here but there's too many RCA and Columbia titles being released right now that I really don't care for, not that I don't like any of the artists on those label's but it's just my opinion.

Any of the Aristas would be great. The two-fer Melissa Manchester, a two-fer or three-fer of Barry Manilow, I would be OK with Tony Orlando & Dawn's Greatest Hits as a single disc BUT I would also add just for fun, could the two songs that appear on Quadra-mono get remixed for the first time?

Breckers, Outlaws, Eric Carmen.... any of those would be great.

On the topic of Coumbia titles.... how about the two Janis Ian titles that were SQ only? Would be another first time available in discrete!

I'd really like some Quad of Tony Orlando n dawn.

I was hoping to see Godspell too, but that's Arista so I don't know the story on those tapes. I'm not trying to offend anyone here but there's too many RCA and Columbia titles being released right now that I really don't care for, not that I don't like any of the artists on those label's but it's just my opinion.

nobody should be offended by your views, your opinion counts for as much as anybody else's 🙂

meantime, what i would say is that there have been and still are a lot of great Quad mixes trapped on discs using CBS' SQ LP system (with all of its facets good and bad) and oodles of RCA CD-4's of wildly varying pressing quality, so while what's left at DV's disposal may not all be among our cherished artists it is surely welcome when any old Quad is freed from its vintage format shackles 👍

I'd really like some Quad of Tony Orlando n dawn.

i enjoy the Arista Tony Orlando & Dawn Hits Quad but there are some unusual mixing decisions (and some fakery/trickery apparently!) to get beyond to really get stuck into it all.. i found the more worthwhile of their mixes to be the 2 x Elektra Quads, which i sadly can't see happening unless Rhino extract their digits and do some Quadio 2-fer's but you never know! 🧐

I'd still like to see Love Will Keep Us Together as well but that question is were those tapes involved in the Universal fire ? Also the Carpenter's also go along with my hopes but that remains an issues as well. 5.1 mixes just don't interest me in these titles. I think some I have sound phenomenal in a few titles I have. I'm not all disappointed of the DV titles because I do have some and am very happy with what I have. I guess I'm just being careful buying the titles recently released, meaning for example..Indian Reservation which I don't actually care for the LP quad do to it sounding kind of odd to me. Maybe decoded is better, I don't know. What's some opinions on it ?

Last edited:
i enjoy the Arista Tony Orlando & Dawn Hits Quad but there are some unusual mixing decisions (and some fakery/trickery apparently!) to get beyond to really get stuck into it all.. i found the more worthwhile of their mixes to be the 2 x Elektra Quads, which i sadly can't see happening unless Rhino extract their digits and do some Quadio 2-fer's but you never know! 🧐
I've heard about the "Trickery" with the Dawn quad mixes. It still would be a go for me to get that one because of the different take of Knock Three Times. It also runs longer in the fade. The other issue is Candida is Mono for some strange reason. I have the LP in NM condition and think some sound fine, some don't.

Didn't you say that? Somewhere in a thread it was determined that no true quad versions were found.

I recall Dave recently (re-)confirming that they were fake quad. (Not on this thread, I think? Another one...) He may have implied--or we all may have inferred--that in that case it would be pointless for D-V to go after them.

Yeah, obviously I can't speak directly for D-V, but think the priority is on "real" quad mixes and I've encouraged them to avoid these two, especially since Iconoclassic has done really nice stereo CD reissues of both of them with bonus tracks in the last few years.

Yeah, obviously I can't speak directly for D-V, but think the priority is on "real" quad mixes and I've encouraged them to avoid these two, especially since Iconoclassic has done really nice stereo CD reissues of both of them with bonus tracks in the last few years.

you are hereby henceforth decloaked as Michaela Q. Dutton - and i claim my five pounds! 🤑

I'd still like to see Love Will Keep Us Together as well but that question is were those tapes involved in the Universal fire ? Also the Carpenter's also go along with my hopes but that remains an issues as well. 5.1 mixes just don't interest me in these titles. I think some I have sound phenomenal in a few titles I have. I'm not all disappointed of the DV titles because I do have some and am very happy with what I have. I guess I'm just being careful buying the titles recently released, meaning for example..Indian Reservation which I don't actually care for the LP quad do to it sounding kind of odd to me. Maybe decoded is better, I don't know. What's some opinions on it ?

anecdotally the A&M Quads went AWOL before the fire but in the absence of facts we're all just specumalating 🤷‍♀️

ahh.. now.. while its absolutely no reason for you to purchase Vocalion's Raiders offering, having played around with the SQ LP and Q8 of Indian Reservation, i can confirm the new SACD handily evacuates on the defunct LP and tape offerings from a height of epic proportions (pun intended) 💪👊😤👍

So in your opinion do think it should be given a try this time ?

good question.. to me the value the Vocalion Raiders SACD represents, for £11.99, with a previously unreleased Quad album, 2 songs newly remixed from the multitracks in surround to complete that unreleased Quad and the Indian Reservation Quad sounding better than ever, i call that a bargain (the best i ever had... the best i ever had!)

Back to.Tony Orlando & Dawn Geatest Hits CD-4, the version of Knock Three Times is not the original stereo mix. It appears to be an instrumental addition with a longer fade that doesn't appear on any CD. Also adding to that where the "Cracking" sound after the "Oh My Sweetness" line before the instrumental break is missing as the stereo version is plainly present. Quad or not, it's a different take. I'm not saying the statement of "Fake Quad" is incorrect, just odd to what the version is actually from.

Back