Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good question.. to me the value the Vocalion Raiders SACD represents, for £11.99, with a previously unreleased Quad album, 2 songs newly remixed from the multitracks in surround to complete that unreleased Quad and the Indian Reservation Quad sounding better than ever, i call that a bargain (the best i ever had... the best i ever had!)
Well it may be worth a try then. I was considering it a few weeks ago but held off.

don't forget to follow GOS' Rule and order an even number of discs to prevent jewel case crackage 😉

That's an 'old wives' tale, Adam. I've had cracked discs even when I've ordered even amounts of discs from D~V ... which is why I switched to Priority Mail...spends less time mucking around in the various postal systems' clutches!

That's an 'old wives' tale, Adam. I've had cracked discs even when I've ordered even amounts of discs from D~V ... which is why I switched to Priority Mail...spends less time mucking around in the various postal systems' clutches!

Mrs Gos never spread no rumors. lol

Seriously......I"ve had nearly 100% better luck when ordering by even numbers.

:SG

you're a cracked disc Ralphie! 🤗 you do make me smile! 🥳

you're a cracked disc Ralphie! 🤗 you do make me smile! 🥳

See the source image

Or rather EASE THE CRACKIN' by CHOOSING PRIORITY SHIPPING. The extra bucks will surely put more food on the Elves' dinner tables!🍽

The Hugo Montenegro, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly quad mix sounds almost like the stereo mix IMO. I have that DV 2-fer and it sounds slightly better than the Q-8 but not by much. I'll be quiet for awhile so I can hear others suggestions.

The Hugo Montenegro, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly quad mix sounds almost like the stereo mix IMO. I have that DV 2-fer and it sounds slightly better than the Q-8 but not by much. I'll be quiet for awhile so I can hear others suggestions.

i've never compared them but there may not have been a dedicated Stereo presentation and the 2-ch's just a downmix of the Quad?
iirc Mancini's Symphonic Soul is like that, only one mix, the Quad.

several RCA Q8's i picked up do sound very good in their own right but so far none of them for me have held a candle to DV's SACD masterings.

Seals And Crofts Summer Breeze would also be a great one. I thought AF would of done that one, but no go. Warner masters may be difficult.

i enjoyed the Seals & Crofts albums that saw Quad release, from a musical perspective there were a number of highlights (i never explored their catalogue before going down the CD-4 rabbit hole) but the surround mixes didn't stand out as anything to write home about.. i'll give them another airing over the summer holidays (if i get a break at all! 🤣) and see if they're better than i remember.

THREE EXCELLENT CHOICES, JP. Realistically, only the Isley Brothers now on the SONY LABEL is doable. Hopefully, in the NEAR future, D~V can access the STAX label, now under the Concord Music Group* and somewhere, somehow, Billy Preston's QUAD masters are alive and well [perhaps in Japan].

If D~V sticks to their prior release schedule, the next batch will probably be Classical with maybe a few pop/rock/jazz surprises thrown in for good measure.

*LABELS now under the Concord Music Group Banner [including TELARC, HEADS UP, FANTASY [CCR] and VANGUARD]:

https://concord.com/labels/

Last edited:
Back