Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's some discussion somewhere or other (on a QQ thread, I mean) about the EMI/Angel catalogue--whether the quad masters still exist, how many of the titles are anything to write home about surround-wise, etc. @ubertrout might know?
I have conversions from Fostex Q8s of these (forget how discrete/mixed they sound); but @steelydave may know about masters availability?

I can't speak to how likely it is D-V would go after these, but you can obviously infer from their UMG release schedule that things move much slower than with Sony, so they're probably a bit more discerning when it comes to choosing things - with Sony something like this would probably be an easy decision, but with UMG, do you want this at the expense of a pop twofer?

It's my understanding (via articles like this LA Weekly piece from a few years back) that unlike some of UMG's other "problematic" (to say the least) storage facilities, the Capitol vaults are in good shape, temperature controlled and well cataloged and staffed by people who know what's there and how to take care of it. Given that those two Q8's were released as part of Capitol's short Q8 program of '74-'75 I would imagine that at the very least there are safety copies of the quad masters there, if not the original tapes.

There's another glimpse of the Capitol vaults in the video below, which was taken during a tour hosted by engineer Al Schmitt, who's done a whole bunch of 5.1 remixes including all of the Diana Krall albums, George Benson, Al Jarreau, etc.

I can't speak to how likely it is D-V would go after these, but you can obviously infer from their UMG release schedule that things move much slower than with Sony, so they're probably a bit more discerning when it comes to choosing things - with Sony something like this would probably be an easy decision, but with UMG, do you want this at the expense of a pop twofer?

It's my understanding (via articles like this LA Weekly piece from a few years back) that unlike some of UMG's other "problematic" (to say the least) storage facilities, the Capitol vaults are in good shape, temperature controlled and well cataloged and staffed by people who know what's there and how to take care of it. Given that those two Q8's were released as part of Capitol's short Q8 program of '74-'75 I would imagine that at the very least there are safety copies of the quad masters there, if not the original tapes.

There's another glimpse of the Capitol vaults in the video below, which was taken during a tour hosted by engineer Al Schmitt, who's done a whole bunch of 5.1 remixes including all of the Diana Krall albums, George Benson, Al Jarreau, etc.

Al just wants to carry out some of those Beatles tapes :ROFLMAO:
I'm not familiar with how a "Vault" should look, but this one looks good to me, even if it appears to be just the ones on the way out!
What does their large warehouses look like I wonder?
And no, definitely not these for a pop twofer (got any burning desire to forecast some of those Dave? ;))

The guy recording the video introduced himself as Michael Fremer, if I heard correctly...

So what exactly is hybrid stereo?
A hybrid SACD contains two complete layers of music information -- the DSD layer and the CD layer. And yet hybrid SACDs are single-sided just like conventional CDs. ... The optical pick-ups in all CD players, however, emit a 780 nanometer laserlight which is transparent to the DSD layer, so only the CD layer is read.

There's some discussion somewhere or other (on a QQ thread, I mean) about the EMI/Angel catalogue--whether the quad masters still exist, how many of the titles are anything to write home about surround-wise, etc. @ubertrout might know?
I have the sense they do? DTS Entertainment reissued about a dozen transfers from quad tapes in 1998. There were also the DVD-Audios, but I've heard mixed comments about whether they have fidelity to the original quad mix. I listed them here: Definitive List Of DTS-CDs Sourced From Quad Masters

What does their large warehouses look like I wonder?
:SB Large warehouse:
IJ-warehouse.jpg

It would be great if D-V could issue the four Isley Brothers quad mixes: 3+3, Live It Up, The Heat Is On and Harvest For The World.

that would be amazing!!
not least because the "Harvest For The World" Quad was only ever issued on SQ LP with no tape release, would be something to hear it discrete for the first time.
pretty sure "The Heat Is On" was never released in Quad unfortunately (not one copy appears to have turned up on SQ or Q8 in the last 45 years) but it may have been mixed and be held in the vaults.. 1977's "Go For Your Guns" was released on both SQ LP and Q8 cart with a superb slightly more restrained more modern Quad mix by CBS stalwart Larry Keyes, one of the label's final Rock/Pop Quad releases.

that would be amazing!!
not least because the "Harvest For The World" Quad was only ever issued on SQ LP with no tape release, would be something to hear it discrete for the first time.
pretty sure "The Heat Is On" was never released in Quad unfortunately (not one copy appears to have turned up on SQ or Q8 in the last 45 years) but it may have been mixed and be held in the vaults.. 1977's "Go For Your Guns" was released on both SQ LP and Q8 cart with a superb slightly more restrained more modern Quad mix by CBS stalwart Larry Keyes, one of the label's final Rock/Pop Quad releases.

Discogs shows The Heat Is On in quad as T-Neck PZQ 33536.

Discogs shows The Heat Is On in quad as T-Neck PZQ 33536.

of this i am aware, however not one person on Discogs who supposedly owns a copy has provided photographic evidence of the SQ LP or Q8 - and i have asked more than once on there for photos of the Quad LP or tape. until i see such proof i am skeptical of its existence.

I'm sure I've mentioned some of these before, but here's my current top 10 most-wanted list for D-V:

Dave Mason - It's Like You Never Left
Isley Brothers - Go For Your Guns
Ted Nugent - Free-For-All
Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation
O'Jays - Message In The Music
War - The World Is A Ghetto
Wild Cherry - Electrified Funk
Minnie Riperton - Adventures In Paradise
Mott The Hoople - The Hoople
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness & Eternity Live

Don't you wish this was the next DV release.
I'm sure I've mentioned some of these before, but here's my current top 10 most-wanted list for D-V:

Dave Mason - It's Like You Never Left
Isley Brothers - Go For Your Guns
Ted Nugent - Free-For-All
Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation
O'Jays - Message In The Music
War - The World Is A Ghetto
Wild Cherry - Electrified Funk
Minnie Riperton - Adventures In Paradise
Mott The Hoople - The Hoople
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness & Eternity Live

I'd be doing cartwheels in Herald Square, New York City!

Back