Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as an interesting idea the suggestions here are, there appears to be little thought about the viability of most of the suggestions made.

DV are a company that needs to make a profit to enable the continued release of the quad material that hasn't seen the light of day since the original days of quad. Releasing titles that will only sell in limited numbers would soon restrict their ability to co tinue with the quad project.

They have majored in releasing the easy listening and classical ranges because they have obviously done them well, even before they started releasing quad product.

A few thoughts that came to me while reading this thread.
There’s plenty here actually, just start with post number 1,792 a few posts back and go from there from someone that has a clue!
We’ll have fun if we want to, and cry if we want to.

I guess it's a combination of 1) what's still available out there that already has a 4 channel master in existence and 2) will it sell enough to make some money.

Your second point basically backs my thoughts, and the first is a worry because if the original four channel tapes are no longer available i have spotted that DV are releasing very poorly decoded albums (deodato and airto live) along with four channel mastered albums on SACD.

Continuing along that line would possibly start the decline in sales unless they greatly improve the decode methode they use.

Your second point basically backs my thoughts, and the first is a worry because if the original four channel tapes are no longer available i have spotted that DV are releasing very poorly decoded albums (deodato and airto live) along with four channel mastered albums on SACD.

Continuing along that line would possibly start the decline in sales unless they greatly improve the decode methode they use.
which decode methods do you believe they use?

As much as an interesting idea the suggestions here are, there appears to be little thought about the viability of most of the suggestions made.

DV are a company that needs to make a profit to enable the continued release of the quad material that hasn't seen the light of day since the original days of quad. Releasing titles that will only sell in limited numbers would soon restrict their ability to co tinue with the quad project.

They have majored in releasing the easy listening and classical ranges because they have obviously done them well, even before they started releasing quad product.

Yes but its a Hybrid SACD disc
so can play on any CD player, a New DSD upgrade.
and 4 Channel Multi Channel.

Adding back to my idea on Blue Swede, their next album "Out of the Blue" has also never seen a digital release. So, if we could get both albums remastered in stereo for the first time anywhere and maybe even the unreleased Quad mix of "Hooked on a Feeling".... that would be amazing. That would be an exclusive item for sure. And if I'm being honest, some of their music is pretty good even if the songs are only covers.
"Ooga Chucka Ooga Ooga" in surround? Bad enough in stereo!

DV are a company that needs to make a profit to enable the continued release of the quad material that hasn't seen the light of day since the original days of quad. Releasing titles that will only sell in limited numbers would soon restrict their ability to continue with the quad project.

I get the impression that their (DV) late rock and pop line of titles opened up a new sustainable market for them. The reason I think it's been a growth area is that more than a few of their rock quad SACDs got repressing runs. Sold out and then a repressing tells us something. The Return to Forever was originally said to be very limited, I think due to Audio Fidelity having just issued it on SACD, DV expected light sales. Then it was near sold out and they pressed up another batch. So much for that very limited run item. But it was a good experiment - and it showed that a title just out in the USA could be issued in the UK with a quad mix and find it's market.

So their product line has changed for the better imo and not hurt their bottom line. That is not to say that Donny Hathaway "Extensions" would be a hot seller. No hits are included. The album charted low in the US and failed to chart at all in the UK. And rumors abound that Warner does not want to license quad masters - preferring to look at their own future possibilities with those tapes. Marshall of AF told me that Warners had no issues with licensing their quad masters for 4.0 SACDs, but that many of their artists (and for their better albums) were asking too high of prices for the license. It may now have changed, where Warner, Atlantic, and Elektra titles are much harder to license than in previous years.

I really wish the Joel Dorn Sound Engineer, Quadraphonic mix
Donny Hathaway 1973 recording "Extension of a Man"
Could become a 4 Channel SACD.
I'm happy that there was a QR released in the 70s so we have that to hold us over while waiting for more Santana, and a Johnny and Edgar Winter title or two. I am convinced there are no licensing issues with any of these titles from Sony. They own the albums and can do as they please.

It seems the interest in the Winter Bros albums is not a top priority. And BGO has had them out in the UK in recent years. But those CDs are really getting old, might be 14 years or more now. It really is time to do a quad Winter title or two. Now that Santana in quad has been addressed finally.

Last edited:
1605372024841.gif

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has ever mentioned this Band or LP but I think this would sound simply AMAZING in 5.1 or better

I imagine that would be hugely successful in 5.1, and if the drums were isolated it would expand on this being one of the most sampled records ever for break beats. The album, particularly the beats, has been sampled on 728 records to date. Also, a great album!

Maybe DV could do some compilation SACDs. That might be fun. Take a few choice songs from artists.

The K-Tel of quads discs!

its a lovely idea.. i am mindful that Audio Fidelity did that with "The Collection" and it supposedly nearly broke them! all the rights and clearances and hassle and expense must be pretty arduous for a licensed Surround compilation... but if DV can pull it off i long for the outcome (as the actress said to the bishop) 😅

To my knowledge, the Deodato/Airto title is the only one that ever used a decode and it said so previous to having to purchase it on their webpage. Good on them for letting everyone know before hand. I really didn't think it was that bad. Not as good as a quad reel or the actual master but I rather enjoy it.

Edgar Winter's White Trash

I'm with ya! Would LOVE to see any of these (preferably ALL of these) make it to the big time.

White Trash + They Only Come Out at Night
Shock Treatment + Jasmine Nightdreams
E.W.G. w/ Ricky D.
Would be interesting to see if there's a discrete tape of "Roadwork". There's potentially three 2-fer's worth of material there.

Over with Brother Johnny, there's at least two 2-fer's to work with:

Unreleased Self Titled + Saints & Sinners
Still alive & Well + John Dawson Winter III

Back