Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Polygram group did a few test//stealth QS release from vague memory information from the reps for these companies. MGM had Gloria Gaynor - Experience, while Polydor supposedly had a couple of James Last's albums, and Slade - Alive (One side live, the other studio)
I have an original first press of Alive! I'll have to pull it out and look at the notes and see if it can give a clue.

what are the chances these Japanese Victor (RCA) CD-4 titles can be released by D-V?
There's a ton of great titles in this bunch.

https://www.discogs.com/search/?lim...format_exact=Vinyl&page=1&country_exact=Japan
They already got some stuff like this one right? or was that just because it's a US RCA also?

https://www.discogs.com/Hugo-Montenegro-Love-Theme-From-The-Godfather/master/316507

Tasty Titles, indeed, JP. The Elvis titles are probably off the table and a lot of the Mancini titles have already been released by D~V but of course, the real question remains .... Can D~V EVER reach an agreement with UMG to release all those Motown Titles? It would be a REAL coup if Marvin Gaye's What's Going On could be released and there is an actual LIVE performance of Gaye performing it LIVE in concert in its entirety but AFAIK has only been released in STEREO. Love to see [Harry] Belafonte at Carnegie Hall released in QUAD. AP did release it in its entirety on Stereo SACD and it remains a classic.

What's Going On
Recorded in 1972 @ The Kennedy Center in Washington, DC

Tasty Titles, indeed, JP. The Elvis titles are probably off the table and a lot of the Mancini titles have already been released by D~V but of course, the real question remains .... Can D~V EVER reach an agreement with UMG to release all those Motown Titles? It would be a REAL coup if Marvin Gaye's What's Going On could be released and there is an actual LIVE performance of Gaye performing it LIVE in concert in its entirety but AFAIK has only been released in STEREO. Love to see [Harry] Belafonte at Carnegie Hall released in QUAD. AP did release it in its entirety on Stereo SACD and it remains a classic.
Those Motown's would be killer!

What's Going On's Going On
Recorded in 1972 @ The Kennedy Center in Washington, DC
Just don't forget to bring the Hot Buttered Popcorn Ralphie -:ROFLMAO:
https://www.discogs.com/Hot-Butter-Popcorn/release/2793345

I would definitely be down with liberating any of the Japanese CD-4's either from the AVCO catalog, Motown or JVC/RCA.
Would be nice to finish off the BTO's. Would be extra nice to confirm once and for all if the Guess Who's So Long, Bannatyne and Live at the Paramount were ever started, completed or abandoned.

Really, we're running out of options. Sony Japan is digging it's heels into Santana. Now's the time to really start pushing for Janis Joplin, Paul Simon, Edgar & Johnny Winter, Aerosmith.

I'd still really like to see some of the Mac Davis' titles.

Or how about try reissuing the COMPLETE Elton John catalog on D-V SACD?

It's almost weird to think that with all that D-V has released.... (well in excess of 100 POPULAR titles), we're running out of options.

Maybe the Ray Stevens pair?

I would definitely be down with liberating any of the Japanese CD-4's either from the AVCO catalog, Motown or JVC/RCA.
Would be nice to finish off the BTO's. Would be extra nice to confirm once and for all if the Guess Who's So Long, Bannatyne and Live at the Paramount were ever started, completed or abandoned.

Really, we're running out of options. Sony Japan is digging it's heels into Santana. Now's the time to really start pushing for Janis Joplin, Paul Simon, Edgar & Johnny Winter, Aerosmith.

It's almost weird to think that with all that D-V has released.... (well in excess of 100 POPULAR titles), we're running out of options.

B. Striesend; A. Williams; J. Mathis; J. Denver; Van McCoy; Stylistics; Walter Murphy; Archies; Nina Simone; and more - Who controls the Isaac Hayes, Buffy St Marie, or Gladys Knight Buddah albums?

B. Striesend; A. Williams; J. Mathis; J. Denver; Van McCoy; Stylistics; Walter Murphy; Archies; Nina Simone; and more - Who controls the Isaac Hayes, Buffy St Marie, or Gladys Knight Buddah albums?
All the titles you mention, I'd love them. Especially Streisand, A Williams, J Mathis J Denver, etc..... Someone on QQ made the comment that these titles might not be "high profile enough". Which, personally, I don't agree with. Or, maybe I just don't want to hear that becasue I'm a huge fan...

Though J Mathis just released a massive box set a couple years ago, maybe his songs are tied up. Ugh, which I hate. The whole time based exclusivitiy thing.

All the titles you mention, I'd love them. Especially Streisand, A Williams, J Mathis J Denver, etc..... Someone on QQ made the comment that these titles might not be "high profile enough". Which, personally, I don't agree with. Or, maybe I just don't want to hear that becasue I'm a huge fan...

Though J Mathis just released a massive box set a couple years ago, maybe his songs are tied up. Ugh, which I hate. The whole time based exclusivitiy thing.
I can't imagine that Streisand isn't has "high profile" as Helen Reddy. 🙄

I wouldn't count on any of Paul Simon's albums being released in surround. One of the major reasons why he pulled his catalog from Columbia to Warner Brothers is because Columbia took "liberties" with his albums. He was against Columbia releasing his albums in quad, including BOTW, and Warner Brothers assured him he'd have complete control of his catalog.

I wouldn't count on any of Paul Simon's albums being released in surround. One of the major reasons why he pulled his catalog from Columbia to Warner Brothers is because Columbia took "liberties" with his albums. He was against Columbia releasing his albums in quad, including BOTW, and Warner Brothers assured him he'd have complete control of his catalog.
Sad situation fir sure... have you heard Baby Driver, the revving goes around the room... and the movie is a kick also- oh well, another lifetime I guess

https://www.discogs.com/Simon-And-Garfunkel-Bridge-Over-Troubled-Water/release/2106553

I have always heard the argument that some artists absolutely don't want their albums released in quad. I would love to understand why. What's the big deal? Wouldn't it be in their best interests for popularity and financially to rerelease their catalogs? (Okay, I know some really don't need more money, but they're artists. Wouldn't they want to always be popular? 🤷‍♂️)

Last edited:
Back