Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES, YES: a thousand times YES!

Isaac Hayes albums JOY and Live @ the Sahara [Tahoe]...2 disc set have also been released in QUAD.

hey Ralphie Hayes! you forgot "Tough Guys"!

the Quad mix on that is incredible!

Preacher man, police man,
working together
both can fight,
black and white
and they're tough guys

They're your friends through thick and thin
cause they're good guys.
Make them mad
and then you have
two tough guys..
Two tough guys...
Two tough guyyyyyyyysssssss....!!

:QQlove

hey Ralphie Hayes! you forgot "Tough Guys"!

the Quad mix on that is incredible

Make them mad
and then you have
two tough guys..
Two tough guys...

:QQlove

Actually, it's

Make 'em mad
and then you've had it from
two tough guys..
Two tough guys...

I always thought it was

Preacher man, Polish man

I was a kid. [shrug]

It is a nice mix, though I wouldn't call it incredible.
Was never crazy about the title track but some nice funky/jazzy instrumentals here.
I especially like the slow shuffle Randolph and Dearborn.

Actually, it's

Make 'em mad
and then you've had it from
two tough guys..
Two tough guys...

I always thought it was

Preacher man, Polish man

I was a kid. [shrug]

It is a nice mix, though I wouldn't call it incredible.
Was never crazy about the title track but some nice funky/jazzy instrumentals here.
I especially like the slow shuffle Randolph and Dearborn.

thanks for the info., now i've had a lyrical correction from.. one Eggplant, one Eggplant.. one PodCaaaaaaat...!!!! raaarrrrr!! :rocks

did you try the Tough Guys Q8?
as well as the SQ LP decodes, the Q8 was damned near revelatory to me, i'd go so far as to say a couple of things are mixed.. spectacularly!

an incidental little ditty like "Run Fay Run" while a linking part of some chase scene or other I guess (I've no idea of the plot, I've never seen the movie, it might be a pivotal moment) is soooo much fun in Quad and really grabs your attention, with all sorts of stuff going off in each channel simultaneously, its a 4-corner eargasm of a mix (purely imho, other opinions are valid)!

come on DV, get yer Stax skates on and drop us some Chef lurve! mmm.. give us some chocolate salty Quad, its stuffed full of channels and rich in fidelity, so suck on that Quaaaaad..!! :p

anytime matey, it is sad about the A&M Quads, if the masters are indeed gone forever such a shame, who knows they may be in a vault somewhere, just that Universal is such a gigantic entity with stuff from all sorts of labels, who knows their true status.. the A&M's are an interesting mixed bag of Quad mix approaches.. you've got the early release duffers presumed fake mixes (quite a few! incl Joe Cocker, Humble Pie), the tame mixes (earlier Carpenters, Cat Stevens) and the fab ones (Joan Baez Diamonds & Rust, Captain & Tennille, Billy Preston, the Rick Wakeman's, the later Carpenters, the Quincy Jones's).. ah, I think I might give Quincy's Body Heat an airing later when I get a moment, fab mix! :LB

Don't forget "Procol Harum Live: In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra"

I want all the albums of The Carpenters in Quadraphonic SACD disc

my dream is to listen to Solitaire music (Horizon album) in Quad 4.0 version
must be wonderful listen first time in High Resolution

I want the singer's album Judy Collins - JUDITH can be remastered
this Judith album have the song Send in the Clowns and Salt Of The Earth
must be wonderful listen first time in Quadraphonic SACD disc

I remember hearing it [Procol Harum LIVE] in CD-4 and playing it quite often. allmusic.com has an interesting write up of it.

Was it discrete or mostly audience applause in rear. WE NEED SOME PROCOL HARUM in SURROUND .... and what better way! Please Mr.Dutton?

Being that it's an A&M recording [from 1972] wonder if the QUAD masters still exist [intact]?

Last edited:
oh wow! :eek:
i didn't know it existed in the first place (in order to forget about it later!) :ROFLMAO:

According to what I have read... the concert was not in quadraphonic sound...it had quad "effects" added to it...this concert pre dated 4 track recorders...I didn't know that this is what caused Robin Trower to leave the band...he didn't want to play with a symphony...and the band was eager to shed their "one hit" wonder tag so they wouldn't include Whiter Shade of Pale in the song list...so Conquistador became the highlight of the concert...if you scroll down to the bottom of the article you will notice them mention the "quadraphonic effects tapes" HERE

According to what I have read... the concert was not in quadraphonic sound...it had quad "effects" added to it...this concert pre dated 4 track recorders...I didn't know that this is what caused Robin Trower to leave the band...he didn't want to play with a symphony...and the band was eager to shed their "one hit" wonder tag so they wouldn't include Whiter Shade of Pale in the song list...so Conquistador became the highlight of the concert...if you scroll down to the bottom of the article you will notice them mention the "quadraphonic effects tapes" HERE

Very strange, Clint, since it was a 1972 concert....the height of Quadraphonic Sound....and by then even the Beatles were doing 8 track recordings [the White Album was recorded 8 track]. That it only has QUAD effects is, IMO, better than nothing, since even Concerts recorded TODAY still utilize ambience in the rears [especially LIVE classical].

Still, IMO, a worthy QUAD reissue IF the multi tracks exist [A&M multi tracks are an endangered species].

BTW, Clint, interesting backstory regarding Robin Trower's decision to leave the band. I DO have the CD~4 vinyl but not the means to properly decode it and never did hear it 'properly' since my 70's CD~4 decoder was a piece of shite!

Last edited:
Very strange, Clint, since it was a 1972 concert....the height of Quadraphonic Sound....and by then even the Beatles were doing 8 track recordings [the White Album was recorded 8 track]. That it only has QUAD effects is, IMO, better than nothing, since even Concerts recorded TODAY still utilize ambience in the rears [especially LIVE classical].

Still, IMO, a worthy QUAD reissue IF the multi tracks exist [A&M multi tracks are an endangered species].

BTW, Clint, interesting backstory regarding Robin Trower's decision to leave the band. I DO have the CD~4 vinyl but not the means to properly decode it and never did hear it 'properly' since my 70's CD~4 decoder was a piece of shite!

Actually from the accounts I read.... the first concert at this venue was in 1971 but the music was released in 1972 and the way the article was written...it could have been that the band didn't have access to 4 track equipment...even if it did exist...

Can i dream, can i?
By the end of the year, Grover Washington "Soul Box" 2LP quad on one SACD stereo and multichannel. CTI/Kudu label.

Could be. D/V has released some CTI's to date.
I'd second that vote (for Grover Washington) on D/V Surround SACD. And don't forget about the Stanley Turrentine CTI Quad Album.... :)

The Raiders: Indian Reservation [two~fer w/Message From a Drum]

I imagine if they did Message they'd want to pair it with the other Redbone quad, Beaded Dreams.

I actually just picked up a Q8 of Message and the mix is stellar, so count me in on that one.

Perhaps Indian Reservation could be paired with the unreleased Hard 'n' Heavy quad?

Great choices! :)

Last edited:
The article shared about mixing Dark Side of the Moon in Quad linked to another article, about recording Schoenberg's Gurrelieder in quad: https://stereosociety.com/Gurrelieder/

It would require 2 discs but seems an obvious choice - the work is massive and really needs multichannel to tame some of the balances and spread the sound around.

Back