Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want a two-fer if Walls and Bridges & Venus and Mars, how’s that for a double feature.

But I’d settle for the Ringo and with John’s final Apple effort both in 4.0. I’ve not heard the Q8 of that Lennon album - is it a rather good mix in quad?
Walls and Bridges is pretty average mix IMO; but I love the music even more than Imagine. I only have a standard res. conversion of the Q8.

JOY

https://www.discogs.com/Isaac-Hayes-Joy/release/786039

mmm 😋 just love the Hot Buttered production on this ... the smooth driving bass ... the amazing drumming - almost sounds like Purdie ... a soul jamming shuffle ... the airy strings and the funky wah wah guitar 🎸- you can almost smell the Quad in the air ... er uh sound in scrumptious surround:cool:

Oh man, if the Stax stuff still exists and is available, that would be to DIE for. The Quad mixes were done under the supervision of The Holy Trinity of Quad, and are some of the best mixes out there. And there should be enough material for at least two BIG two-fers: Shaft Soundtrack and Live at the Sahara Tahoe; then Truck Turner Soundtrack with Joy.
(I honestly don't care for the Staple Singers' title. It has cross-channel drums and no big hit.) To my knowledge, the Truck Turner Soundtrack never made it to Q8, or, at the very least I've never seen it - but the SQ LP set is out there.

Or do the two movie soundtracks together and team the live album with Joy. Whatever. Gimme song Isaac Hayes in QUAD!

Last edited:
Indeed, the Isaac Hayes quads are sticking out like a sore thumb to be reissued.

But now... it seems... it really is a wait and see on everything. AF knew which titles we wanted most, DV is now aware of what we want and what is possible and what is not possible and what is a maybe. At least QQ forums has been a message pipeline, and now we have been heard.

Oh man, if the Stax stuff still exists and is available, that would be to DIE for. The Quad mixes were done under the supervision of The Holy Trinity of Quad, and are some of the best mixes out there. And there should be enough material for at least two BIG two-fers: Shaft Soundtrack and Live at the Sahara Tahoe; then Truck Turner Soundtrack with Joy.
(I honestly don't care for the Staple Singers' title. It has cross-channel drums and no big hit.) To my knowledge, the Truck Turner Soundtrack never made it to Q8, or, at the very least I've never seen it - but the SQ LP set is out there.

Or do the two movie soundtracks together and team the live album with Joy. Whatever. Gimme song Isaac Hayes in QUAD!

there's also Tough Guys, with a similarly wonderful Quad mix 💪 🤜✊👊😹

I'd love to see DV get into the UMG vaults (what's left of them) and give us the remaining Moody Blues and Elton John albums on SACD.

Do you mean you would like to have the albums that came out after Seventh Sojurn to be releasedon Stereo SACD?

The core albums from 67 to 73 have already all been released on SACD. Long Distance Voyager was released on Single Layer Stereo SACD in Japan back in 2011.

Indeed, the Isaac Hayes quads are sticking out like a sore thumb to be reissued.

But now... it seems... it really is a wait and see on everything. AF knew which titles we wanted most, DV is now aware of what we want and what is possible and what is not possible and what is a maybe. At least QQ forums has been a message pipeline, and now we have been heard.

One thing many people seem to forget is that there may be a difference between what some people here want D/V to reissue and whay D/V wants to reissue. Ultimately, whilst it's always great to dream and speculate about which titles we would like to be reissued, it may be best to lower one's expectations as to not be overly disappointed about what does come out. :)

One thing many people seem to forget is that there may be a difference between what some people here want D/V to reissue and whay D/V wants to reissue. Ultimately, whilst it's always great to dream and speculate about which titles we would like to be reissued, it may be best to lower one's expectations as to not be overly disappointed about what does come out. :)

Yes, we certainly have been spoiled!

D/V performance appraisal over the last few months:

X Kicks Ass
Exceeds Expectations
Meets Expections
Improvement Needed
Unsatisfactory

Well... good points. Why would they not want to, since DV issued a Shaft (or was it Superfly?) blaxploitation collection in quadraphonic not that long ago, I have no doubt that they would be thrilled to get licensing cleared for the real SHAFT and Tough Guys soundtracks. It’s two titles positively right up their alley in fact. Soundtracks, 70s R&B, orchestral arrangements, and exclusive quad mixes. Throw in “Joy” to round out two 2-fers and you have a couple of double sets that have quite strong international cross-over appeal.

My sister used to say to me (when she was a teen youngster), “hope for the best and expect the worst” and I told her a couple of years ago that I HATE that expression. I’m still in the years where I am expecting really great things to appear in life. Maybe I should keep more of my thoughts to myself, but my expectations remain high.

Last edited:
Let’s face it, we just want it all :p
From Columbia / Epic I’m like so close to feeling completely satisfied. That last BOC, The Winters, and maybe an Aerosmith or two... and that’s enough for me I think.

For RCA it’s a couple of titles in pop / rock and a couple of country.

Then it comes down to those other labels..... and it’s a big sea surrounding us.

We really are at a good place, and I’m more happy now than I was 5 or 6 years ago. “What a Difference a Decade Makes” a singer could have once sang!

Yes, we certainly have been spoiled!

D/V performance appraisal over the last few months:

X Kicks Ass
Exceeds Expectations
Meets Expections
Improvement Needed
Unsatisfactory

AR, you've hit the proverbial nail smack dab ON THE HEAD:

I have two overflowing shelves of Dutton Vocalion QUAD/Stereo SACD two~fers which were released over the past few years.

OK, not every one's a winner but what other reissue company in one's memory has even approximated D~V's BOUNTIFUL output?

I have NO doubt, Michael Dutton and his woodland elves are working feverishly, as we speak, to expand the repertoire to include more labels and a surprising array of artists across ALL genres

In the words of Karen Carpenter with a slight alteration: THEY'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN!

See the source image

WATFORD UK'S CITY OF ANGELS with Saintly Michael Dutton presiding at its Burly Gates

See the source image

"I've Got a Whole Bunch of discs to sell You, Guys & Dolls! Buy NOW or REPENT later!"

~Simone: Fairy Queen in charge of marketing @ Dutton Vocalion
[Simone@get yer ya yas out@gstring.net]

Last edited:
majestic suggestion! 🤩 Puppy Power! 💪
..and not too bad a price on that copy in the U.S... 🤔 does it matter if the sleeves a bit crummy? 🧐 its a scarce birdie.. you'd be a silly trucker to miss the army truck 💪 🚛 for the sake of the sleevey ruck 🤳👊 g'waan Pup, you've got the gear, you've got the looks, come on! lets go Quad Truckin' 🥳
Hey, just chimin’ in after @Q-Eight actually but this stuff even sounds good on headphones, you can just hear the Quadiness all through it.

The mind boggles at what they can give us next. Since they're dipping their toe in the Capitol Vault, could that mean some solo Beatles on the horizon?

Paul - Band on the Run and Venus & Mars
John - Imagine and Walls & Bridges?
Ringo - Unreleased Ringo and Goodnight Vienna?

Other than we just had the Imagine Boxed set not that long ago, the Macca stuff hasn't seen the shelves in over 20 years and Ringo never has. Does Capitol still hold rights to these albums?

Would love to see if Blue Swede / Hooked on a Feeling was real or not.

More O'Jays would be terrific. If Backstabbers was done and gets a debut here, you all will probably hear the loudest expletive ever followed by a small explosion. That would be me, having exploded.

Ohio Players, Bachman-Turner Overdrive (though that might be a bit Heavy for D-V, I'd still be OK with it). Mountain had two Quads: Best of and Avalanche, heck, I'd be ok with some Kris Kristofferson or some Mac Davis. Maybe even a Ray Stevens two-fer.

Still holding out for some Waylon or Dolly.

Michael Nesmith two-fer would be bloody amazing.

Two words: David Essex.

If the masters could be located, I'd even be down for some Roy Clark or Donna Fargo. Believe it or don't: those Dot Quad mixes are actually quite nice. If you like the ABC mixes, you'll LOVE the Dot stuff.

What worries me though is that we're starting to get down to the crunch. We've almost exhausted the number of decent, popular (and by that I mean, "marketable") Quad properties. I really don't think too many folks are going to jump on Jim Nabors, Tammy Wynnette or Ray Price. Unless of course, some muscle can be flexed and get into the likes of Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Paul Simon, Janis Joplin, Aerosmith. My hope is that this is sort of what D-V has been working towards because looks at some of the more recent releases, they've gone from Ray Coniff and Doc Severinsen to some big hitters like The Raiders, The O'Jays, The Guess Who. I can't be the only one thinking that somebody is trying to prove a point that there IS a market for this sort of thing.
When you figure how much is out there that may have been mixed for a quad release that never materialized, or where multichannel masters still exist, that could truly be mind-boggling. Of course there's a market for it! Getting the word out there is, basically, up to us. I'm very grateful for DV for the wonderful hybrid SACD's they've given us so far, but if we don't help spread the word that these discs are out there, DV could go the way of Audio Fidelity and others, who gave us some great releases, then abruptly stopped. Rhino did it with their Quadio series discs. I'll be happy to get my surround music on SACD, DVD, or Blu-Ray Audio, but I just want it to sound great. I like the variety of genres that DV have been giving us, so let's give them all the support we can.

Back