Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are these songs with video hidden mixes found on YouTube or are they uploaded by J. Pupster ? I would assume these are Quad Mixes. I have some uploaded on my YT channel and but I title them as Quad Mixes. Just asking. I've never heard these in Quad. We need some more of them uploaded !

Some other suggestions are Mac Davis and Mountain. There's a version of Mississippi Queen decoded I have that's very "Lossy" and sounds terrible because it was transferred from Q-8. It was just a sample of it decoded sent to me because my copy is straight SQ and sounds just like Mono more or less.

Are these songs with video hidden mixes found on YouTube or are they uploaded by J. Pupster ? I would assume these are Quad Mixes. I have some uploaded on my YT channel and but I title them as Quad Mixes. Just asking. I've never heard these in Quad. We need some more of them uploaded !
No, they aren't any special Quad version. I only link the songs here from YouTube so that some members who may stumble across this thread can hear samples of the music that have been released in a Quad version. Although I do try and find versions that sound decent on headphones and have no ads starting when played. When listening with headphones you can sometimes get that sense of channel separation in the music.

Another suggestion, Billion Dollar Babies, which on another chaboard was stated and shown that it already existed on SACD. Well, I'm afraid that was a Striaght Stereo release. No Quad mix has been released of this title and in my words is doubtful to happen soon. I can only hope someday. I think the CD-4 LP sounds fantastic.

I think it really sucks that no Back Stabbers Quad was ever released, at least I haven't seen any that existed. That and Love Train possibly would of sounded outstanding in that format. For The Love Of Money is another one I never cared for from them. Being interested in the SACD of Ship Ahoy wouldn't be one of my picks. Just my opinion again. I'd also would love to see The Carpenters Singles "Non Japanese" Quad as well. I'm not sure how Richard feels about ever letting that happen but he seems open to masters he has for past remix releases. The New Mixes were OK but Quads would be even better and I'd bet a good seller as well. There's alot of great ideas here.

Last edited:
I think it really sucks that no Back Stabbers Quad was ever released, at least I haven't seen any that existed. That and Love Train possibly would of sounded outstanding in that format. For The Love Of Money is another one I never cared for from them. Being interested in the SACD of Ship Ahoy wouldn't be one of my picks. Just my opinion again. I'd also would love to see The Carpenters Singles "Non Japanese" Quad as well. I'm not sure how Richard feels about ever letting that happen but he seems open to masters he has for past remix releases. The New Mixes were OK but Quads would be even better and I'd bet a good seller as well. There's alot of great ideas here.

Back Stabbers and Love Train are on the O'Jays Live In London Quad from 1974 (not currently on SACD, originally SQ LP & Q8 release) while not the original studio recordings they are great performances and solid Quad mixes.

I see that Back Stabbers and Love Train were two major hit singles released before the two albums we got on the DV twofer. I wonder why the labels sometimes did not go back to earlier successful albums when releasing quads, but rather concentrated on new music instead. They certainly weren’t consistent in their selection process...probably some business bullshit getting in the way of satiating us quadheads! 😜

I see that Back Stabbers and Love Train were two major hit singles released before the two albums we got on the DV twofer. I wonder why the labels sometimes did not go back to earlier successful albums when releasing quads, but rather concentrated on new music instead. They certainly weren’t consistent in their selection process...probably some business bullshit getting in the way of satiating us quadheads! 😜

We've had several in-depth discussions on this topic. Some albums were re-visited and given the Quad treatment. The early Chicago's and Santana's are examples. Bob Dylan's "Nashville Skyline" was originally destined to be a fall of '72 release but for whatever reason was delayed several years. (If memory serves, it's original catalog number was 31006, but didn't appear until 32872!) Also and especially with Columbia Records, they seem to have this uncanny trend of issuing the album AFTER the big hit.

Johnny Nash's "I can see Clearly Now". Huge hit. No Quad issued. Follow-up album WAS and tanked hard.
Redbone's "Wovoka" had two big hits, most notably "Come & Get Your Love". Not issued in Quad though it may have actually been mixed. However the NEXT album "Beaded Dreams" was issued.
Wild Cherry's debut with "Play that Funky Music" was passed over but their next "Electrified Funk" was.

But, on the flip side, initially, we got some heavy-duty albums right out of the gate. Indian Reservation was a huge album in 1971. Columbia's best-selling album until Thriller years later. Pearl was Janis Joplin's dear john letter to us all. Sly Stone's Greatest Hits. Bridge over Troubled Water. Blood, Sweat & Tears II. These were all massive albums.

Something seems to have happened though. While we got all these terrific debut acts in the 30xxx series of tapes, come the 31xxx series, we see a serious decline in output. It's almost like they ran out of ideas or something. The amount of Quad albums put out between 30999 and 32000 is staggeringly small. Thing is, 1972 was a GREAT year for music! So what gives? By the time the 32xxx series began rolling out, sure, we started seeing a lot more output.... but strange choices. Albums with no hits. Albums from less-than-stellar artists. Strange choices for Quad release. My speculation is that "management" tried running the show and we all know how things go when that happens.

I still wonder if Backstabbers was done. Even listening to the stereo track, there is some heavy LEFT <--> RIGHT separation with very little use of the phantom center. It seriously makes me wonder if the stereo album was just a fold-down of the Quad mix. Same thing with Love Train. For a 16-track stereo mix, it seems unusual that the strings are relegated to only a single channel.

Supposedly, several Byrds and Simon & Garfunkel albums were mixed and never issued. Laura Nyro, mixed at least 3 times was never issued.

Albums like "Edgar Winter's White Trash" (and possibly "Roadwork") were left unreleased and more-current albums "They Only come out at Night" issued. For whatever reason in this instance, those early albums; while completed, were never issued. I nearly exploded into a burst of glitter when the unreleased Reels of White Trash were shared. That album has two of my favorite Edgar Winter songs on it! So, hope springs eternal in regards to "BackStabbers".

Last edited:
Johnny Nash's "I can see Clearly Now". Huge hit. No Quad issued. Follow-up album WAS and tanked hard.
Redbone's "Wovoka" had two big hits, most notably "Come & Get Your Love". Not issued in Quad though it may have actually been mixed. However the NEXT album "Beaded Dreams" was issued.
The stereo mix of this song is an odd one.

Agreed, Clint. But with the available real estate on an SACD (and especially DVD~Audio and Blu ray Audio), you'd think they could include some 'quality' extras.

BTW, do you have this one: http://www.amazon.com/First-Time-Ev...1-1&keywords=Johnny+Mathis+DTS&tag=acleint-20

Excellent, as well. Some stunning songs and vocals from former gospel singer (extraordinaire) JM!
Yes I agree the Nina Simone blu ray in high resolution stereo only is a short disc with no extras some blue rays have two albums or just lots of extras like Grace Jones

I’d definitely love to get some more country as well! 🌻👩‍🌾🐴

Being the Tokyo cowboy you are .... why am I NOT surprised!

See the source image

ヒー・ホー

And WHEN are you going to trade in that ORGAN ..... for a HARMONICA?

Last edited:
If they are going with RCA quads, there really are some great ones still for the pickings. And since we got a couple Capitol Uni quads recently I'm ever hopeful for more from them. Let's hope the bat flu don't mess things up on the quadraphonic SACD front.

I find that strangely ... stimulating 😲

Tomita
https://www.discogs.com/Tomita-Kosmos/release/8833322

I love tradtional instruments like these. They are so simple but have a magic ability to transport the listener to another place or time. The Tomita is delightful, too. Speaking of time travel, I remember getting that album back in the 70s with my Dad and brother. Back then I played the heck out of it. But somewhere along the way, it wandered off. I haven’t heard since...until just now. Thanks for taking me back to a happy time. 😊

Back