Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you suppose.... since D-V is dipping it's toe into the Capitol vaults.... can they do a search for Merle Haggard - Movin' On and Blue Swede's Hooked on a Feeling? I've seen those mentioned in a few catalogs and tape order guides. Even as single-disc releases, I'd buy 'em!
Since Capitol is owned by Universal, I wonder if this could mean that UMG is willing to open up their vaults... what's left of them... to DV?

Since Capitol is owned by Universal, I wonder if this could mean that UMG is willing to open up their vaults... what's left of them... to DV?

they have done so already a fair few times 🤩 Helen Reddy, Donald Byrd, Swingle Singers, Ray Davies & The Button Down Brass, Paul Mauriat.. all UMG titles licensed to Dutton Vocalion! hoorah! 🥰

Kosmos is available as Quad Hybrid-SACD but renamed Space Fantasy available from the Far Side UK/Europe or from CDJapan

The Bermuda Triangle appears to be only available as a CD so a possibility.
Nice call there Duncan, turns out I do have the Space Fantasy that’s a Denon Quad SACD and also The Bermuda Triangle on LP CD-4.

maybe these two also:
https://www.discogs.com/Tomita-Pictures-At-An-Exhibition/release/5710002
https://www.discogs.com/富田勲-Switched-On-Hit-Rock/release/6476630

Did you get the mono singles steppenwolf cd? Pretty good. Some of them were mastered from acetate vinyl 45s because the F**head running the record company threw out all the tapes mono multitracks etc. EDIT: Jay Lasker is his name. Who knows what alternate takes or unused songs were lost.

Thank you Sjcorne for correct name

Last edited:
Do you suppose.... since D-V is dipping it's toe into the Capitol vaults.... can they do a search for Merle Haggard - Movin' On and Blue Swede's Hooked on a Feeling? I've seen those mentioned in a few catalogs and tape order guides. Even as single-disc releases, I'd buy 'em!

When the possibility of licensing titles from the Capitol vaults emerged a few years back, I provided D-V with a spreadsheet with a full accounting of everything they released in quad, but also everything rumoured to exist, with a note about the source of the rumour, if I know where it originated. So aside from their own vault searching (which is formidable, and extensive I can assure you) they also have a sense of what should, or might, exist.

As for the titles you mentioned above, I'm kinda dubious about their existence, because I think they originate from that August 9, 1975 issue of Billboard that also has other apocryphal quad listings including Supertramp's Crime of the Century and Bob Marley's Natty Dread, titles which we know were never released. But I think one of the fun things about this hobby is wondering if (and hoping that) some of these unreleased mixes exist, so I always keep the mindset that anything is possible so I'll keep an open mind until the evidence proves otherwise. After all, we recently discovered that Crime of the Century showed up in a 1975 A&M UK tape catalogue, so maybe it was closer to release than we realized.

When the possibility of licensing titles from the Capitol vaults emerged a few years back, I provided D-V with a spreadsheet with a full accounting of everything they released in quad, but also everything rumoured to exist, with a note about the source of the rumour, if I know where it originated. So aside from their own vault searching (which is formidable, and extensive I can assure you) they also have a sense of what should, or might, exist.

As for the titles you mentioned above, I'm kinda dubious about their existence, because I think they originate from that August 9, 1975 issue of Billboard that also has other apocryphal quad listings including Supertramp's Crime of the Century and Bob Marley's Natty Dread, titles which we know were never released. But I think one of the fun things about this hobby is wondering if (and hoping that) some of these unreleased mixes exist, so I always keep the mindset that anything is possible so I'll keep an open mind until the evidence proves otherwise. After all, we recently discovered that Crime of the Century showed up in a 1975 A&M UK tape catalogue, so maybe it was closer to release than we realized.

What always makes me laugh is the irony sometimes surrounding this topic. "Unreleased" albums that were once reported in catalogs truly do not exist; and then we'll get some other albums that never appeared in ANY form and we would've never even GUESSED they were mixed to Quad (Laura Nyro, Edgar Winter/White Trash, Johnny Winter, Big Brother, etc) actually DO exist. In my mind, "Keep Movin' On" was a bit of a stretch, since it came out in the spring of 1975.... so unless the Quad mix was done around the same time as the stereo mix..... that's getting pretty close to the demise of Quad as a format.

But Blue Swede actually makes a little bit of sense. The title song alone was a #1 hit in Billboard & Cashbox and was #2 in Canada. It only made sense to try and push an album that popular in the Quad format (or.... it makes sense to me! Columbia Records might say otherwise.... :LOL:) but not only was it a chart topper, the single came out in February of '74.... that's still in the sweet spot to get a Quad mix out by spring or summer of '74.

PLUS, Blue Swede might make sense for D-V as (to my knowledge, anyway).... I don't think that album has ever been released on CD. So, it might be an exclusive deal with them to not only remaster the stereo album, release it on a digital format but also include the never-before-heard Quad mix! That sort of thing should make the NBC nightly news!

I wonder what will happen now with the Mac Davis Quads? Was there anything in the works on them? I suppose everything must go through the estate now and I'm sure that's going to be a bit of a mess for the near future.

Adding back to my idea on Blue Swede, their next album "Out of the Blue" has also never seen a digital release. So, if we could get both albums remastered in stereo for the first time anywhere and maybe even the unreleased Quad mix of "Hooked on a Feeling".... that would be amazing. That would be an exclusive item for sure. And if I'm being honest, some of their music is pretty good even if the songs are only covers.

I really wish the Joel Dorn Sound Engineer, Quadraphonic mix
Donny Hathaway 1973 recording "Extension of a Man"
Could become a 4 Channel SACD.

As much as an interesting idea the suggestions here are, there appears to be little thought about the viability of most of the suggestions made.

DV are a company that needs to make a profit to enable the continued release of the quad material that hasn't seen the light of day since the original days of quad. Releasing titles that will only sell in limited numbers would soon restrict their ability to co tinue with the quad project.

They have majored in releasing the easy listening and classical ranges because they have obviously done them well, even before they started releasing quad product.

A few thoughts that came to me while reading this thread.

As much as an interesting idea the suggestions here are, there appears to be little thought about the viability of most of the suggestions made.

DV are a company that needs to make a profit to enable the continued release of the quad material that hasn't seen the light of day since the original days of quad. Releasing titles that will only sell in limited numbers would soon restrict their ability to co tinue with the quad project.

They have majored in releasing the easy listening and classical ranges because they have obviously done them well, even before they started releasing quad product.

A few thoughts that came to me while reading this thread.
I guess it's a combination of 1) what's still available out there that already has a 4 channel master in existence and 2) will it sell enough to make some money.

Back