Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of my favorite acoustic music was released by Windham Hill: Montreux and its splinter groups (Chiaroscuro is a masterpiece), Michael Hedges, Turtle Island String Quartet, label founder Will Ackerman... Right up there with ECM in terms of consistent quality and unique style. I don't think any of their releases need remastering, though; they already sound stellar. They just need to be re-pressed.

I have a huge collection of their [IMO] Uncompressed CDs and of course the AF Stereo SACD of M. Hedges Aerial Boundaries but am quite surprised that none of their other EXQUISITE [and I mean EXQUISITE] master tapes have never been earmarked for any other SACD releases.

Would be a natural for D~V as the label is now controlled by SONY and would definitely satisfy his established base of customers.

Fingers Crossed JJ!

Tuck and Patti from the ole Windham Hill Days......Tuck [Guitar]

Last edited:
You put the vocal on all four. One of the great tricks that we came up with was with an eight-track machine, we'd run delay from one to two, two to three, three to four. Then you bring each of these tracks up on different speakers and it'd cross the room. That was when you really got an idea of what could happen — when you had a delay that went across the room quickly, it was startling. You got this real vivid aural experience.

That would explain the mixing of the vocals on the Paul Revere & The Raiders unreleased/incomplete "Greatest Hits". Backing vocals are generally dry in FL, a bit delayed in FR, really delayed in BR and are they still singing the same song? in BL. The only song that it sounds good on is "Good Things" when it almost achieves a Beach Boys-esque style of chorus. Every other song it just sort of overpowers everything and sounds out-of-sync. They tried the same trick on a few songs on "Hard & Heavy" as well with mixed results.

Columbia must've been experimenting with Quad in the late 60's. Other than "White Trash", all the funny unreleased Robin Reels pre-date 1970. Bookends, Laura Nyro's Eli, Cheap Thrills, Hard & Heavy, Bookends, Johnny Winter's 1st, Byrds, Bloomfield/Kooper Live!, Child is Father to the man. Not to mention those were pretty BIG albums for their time, too.

I think the only post-'70 unreleased but announced titles were: White Trash, Christmas & the Beads of Sweat, Poco's "From the Inside", Byrdmaniax, Sly/Family Stone "There's a Riot Going On", .... I think that's all. The rest are mostly from the truncated 31xxx series of Quads.

Some of my favorite acoustic music was released by Windham Hill: Montreux and its splinter groups (Chiaroscuro is a masterpiece), Michael Hedges, Turtle Island String Quartet, label founder Will Ackerman... Right up there with ECM in terms of consistent quality and unique style. I don't think any of their releases need remastering, though; they already sound stellar. They just need to be re-pressed.
I guess Windham Hill never got into any multi-channel mixes. That's a shame.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but definitely worth another mention. Barry Manilow. If anyone fits into DV's repertoire, it's BM. And he has two quad albums already mastered, II and Tryin' To Get The Feeling; perfect two-fer from DV. :LB Now, where would those masters be? :unsure:

There were actually THREE Barry Manilow's, the last album being only available on CD-4. So if they did a three-fer, it'd be the first time discrete presentation for "This One's for You".

Eric Carmen and The Outlaws - Lady in Waiting are the two Arista titles I'd expect interest in over Mantilow. DV should look into those if they have not already. Each are hits albums, Sony controlled, so possible?

OK, but beeing who she is, controlling her material, want the income from releasing her old material again.
I think Barbra would be happy, knowing there's still interest among her fans in her older recordings, especially the quads. She only did one SACD in surround; I'd be very interested in having more of her music in full, discrete quad.

IMO, ALL of Streisand's early albums were EVENTS ...... and were NEVER well served on RBCD. Her collaborations with arranger/conductor Peter Matz were simply amazing and her French album Je 'M'Appelle Barbra arranged and conducted by Michel Legrand is ASTOUNDING. Not only did Columbia/SONY never release any of those treasures as hi def SACD Stereo discs, they only released her legendary early TV shows like My Name is Barbra and Color Me Barbra as low quality DVDs with barely adequate sonics [DD at best].

Simply unconscionable that an artist of Streisand's stature was/is so shoddily represented on SACD and that her only album on Multi~CH SACD is The Movie Album when her Broadway Album is so superior on EVERY CONCEIVABLE level [truly a masterpiece].

Whether Dutton Vocalion can gain access to all her albums, stereo and QUAD remains a BIG IF!

Since Ms Streisand only performs LIVE very rarely nowadays and her once four octave vocal range has been diminished by time, now, more than ever, SONY should pay tribute to that once legendary voice by releasing those vaulted stereo/Quad masters themselves or allowing Dutton Vocalion to perform their magic before those analogue masters are lost forever to the ravages of time.

See the source image

SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR????????

Last edited:
Agree. What can we do to get those quads rereleased? About her DVD:S I also agree. The box with five shows for TV are a disaster
when it comes to sound quality. The soundtrack albums are at least in stereo, but the soundtracks are the mono sound with a lot
of reverb and fake stereo to make it sound like surround sound which it of course does not. Could have been done so much better

I was afraid of that. A shame, those are great albums. Warner/Rhino has access to some great quads that were released in. CD-4.

Fingers crossed that with the success of both the Chicago and Doobie Brothers' QUADIO BD~A sets, Rhino will see fit to release MORE in that format. I did ask RHINO if they'd consider a potpourri BD~A collection of different artists in a future box set and their reply was NO due to licensing agreements, royalty fees and approvals from the [various] artists would encompass a veritable nightmare.

Obviously Dutton Vocalion has a very generous licensing agreement from SONY and even UMG in Europe, but I don't think Warner/RHINO would budge on their uber pricey licensing/royalty fees .... and thus it wouldn't be worth it to D~V. When Audio Fidelity released those few Warner QUAD SACDs a few years ago, Warner charged them $30K PER title for the privilege of releasing them. WAAAAYYYY too pricey for D~V!

I'm thinking with the new access to the Mercury Quads..... does that mean a reissue of The Ohio Players Fire & Honey in the near future?? I hope so. Perhaps even maybe delving in to see if any of the announced but unreleased titles exist? That could mean a couple of high-profile titles from Rod Stewart and Bob Marley.

I'm thinking with the new access to the Mercury Quads..... does that mean a reissue of The Ohio Players Fire & Honey in the near future?? I hope so. Perhaps even maybe delving in to see if any of the announced but unreleased titles exist? That could mean a couple of high-profile titles from Rod Stewart and Bob Marley.
Bob Marley was not to my knowledge on Mercury Records. And as much as I do like the quad mixes of the Ohio Players albums, DTS discs sound rather good for what they are.

We are now in a countdown of time, and I hope what DV come up with next has not already appeared on a surround disc release since 1999 or 2000. I am even hoping now for titles that did not get a Q4 reel issue in the 70s (we already have decent quality quad on those titles). That is one thing going for the selection of Sony titles from Columbia and Epic Records catalogue, they did no reel to reels in quad.

The race is on to get us some Capitol, Warner/Reprise, Elektra/Asylum, and additional RCA quad titles.

But I do agree that BTO from the Mercury catalogue (controlled by Universal yet) is a good development.

Back