Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burton is not the easiest fellow to get in touch with at the best of times and I believe just has a publicist running his Social Media right now. I've not seen his personal account "online" for some time. So no, I've not had the opportunity to get a definitive answer directly from the horse. Not 100% sure if he'd know as it seems that the Quad mixes prior to "Road Food" with the exception of "Rockin' " were done well after the release of the stereo album (obviously); but they were mixed by RCA staffers and NOT the Guess Who's long-time engineer Brian Christian. Even "#10" is not clear on exactly who mixed it as the LP jacket doesn't have any "Quadraphonic Remix by" credits, it just mentions who did the stereo release.

Without Jack Richardson around anymore, I think the only way to get confirmation would be to ask Mr. Dutton to put in a specific request and see what comes back.

I'm trying to get in touch with Brian Christian as his son and a few friends frequent the Steve Hoffman board on occasion. Just playing the waiting game and email tag.

I posted about this previously somewhere, maybe even in this thread, but based on the of the D-V Guess Who reissues, Mike had Sony look for the supposed quad mixes of Paramount and Bannatyne based on the lists I provided, and they couldn't find anything. That isn't to say that they never existed, or don't exist (although I think the mixes of tracks from these albums on Greatest Hits, Vol. II were newly done for that comp based on the master tape box) or were even destroyed, but the current status is "can't find them." Maybe they'll turn up one day, as was the case with things like AF's Loggins & Messina Full Sail (which apparently was lost until it was found) and MFSB's Philadelphia Freedom, which I know took almost a year to turn up...but by the same token I wouldn't hold your breath, it's entirely possible these things were junked at the time if they were never finished.

Have there been any "unreleased quad" mixes been eventually released over these later years? I'm not talking about new 5.1 type mixes. I'm talking about something old that was found and released as a SACD, DVDa, or Blu-ray. Just curious.
At least one that I know of. The Album that was paired with The Raiders' "Indian Reservation", was never released in quad, any format, until this SACD. I believe the album is called "Hard and Heavy".

I posted about this previously somewhere, maybe even in this thread, but based on the of the D-V Guess Who reissues, Mike had Sony look for the supposed quad mixes of Paramount and Bannatyne based on the lists I provided, and they couldn't find anything. That isn't to say that they never existed, or don't exist (although I think the mixes of tracks from these albums on Greatest Hits, Vol. II were newly done for that comp based on the master tape box) or were even destroyed, but the current status is "can't find them." Maybe they'll turn up one day, as was the case with things like AF's Loggins & Messina Full Sail (which apparently was lost until it was found) and MFSB's Philadelphia Freedom, which I know took almost a year to turn up...but by the same token I wouldn't hold your breath, it's entirely possible these things were junked at the time if they were never finished.

And to be honest, I don't think Burton is the right man to talk to anyway. His memory of that time is fuzzy at best due to..... reasons. Now that I've been pointed in the direction of Brian Christian, *IF* I can get in touch with him, he might be able to put this topic to bed. After all, the chances are pretty good that if they were done, he'd have been the one who did 'em. He might even be able to answer why Artificial Paradise, Flavours and Power in the Music are phoney-baloney.

Have there been any "unreleased quad" mixes been eventually released over these later years? I'm not talking about new 5.1 type mixes. I'm talking about something old that was found and released as a SACD, DVDa, or Blu-ray. Just curious.
Here is a listing I've compiled to date.

Pink Floyd - Echoes
Gentle Giant - Freehand
Gentle Giant - In'terview
Jethro Tull - War Child (2 bonus tracks)
Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery
Jethro Tull - Too Old Too Rock And Roll , Too Young To Die
Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood (4 tracks)
Laura Nyro - Eli and The 13th Confession
Paul Revere and The Raiders - Hard N' Heavy
Gong -You (2 versions)
King Crimson - Pittsburg 1974
Ray Thomas - From Mighty Oaks*
Grateful Dead - Movie*
Grateful Dead - Closing Of Winterland*
Santana - Lotus (7 bonus tracks)
David Bowie - David Live*
David Bowie - Stage*
Frank Zappa - QuAUADIOPHILIAc*
Frank Zappa - Baby Snakes*
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
The Rolling Stones - Ladies And Gentlemen*
Charles Gerhardt - The Thing From Another Planet

-and many From DG , DECCA , LONDON , PHILLIPS via Pentatone

*mixed from quad to 5.1 , in most cases.

(Edit-twice)

Last edited:
Here is a listing I've compiled to date.

Pink Floyd - Echoes
Gentle Giant - Freehand
Gentle Giant - In'terview
Jethro Tull - War Child (2 bonus tracks)
Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery
Jethro Tull - Too Old Too Rock And Roll , Too Young To Die
Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood (4 tracks)
Laura Nyro - Eli and The 13th Confession
Paul Revere and The Raiders - Hard N' Heavy
Gong -You (2 versions)
King Crimson - Pittsburg 1974
Ray Thomas - From Mighty Oaks*
Grateful Dead - Movie*
Grateful Dead - Closing Of Winterland*
Santana - Lotus (7 bonus tracks)
David Bowie - Stage*
Frank Zappa - QuAUADIOPHILIAc*
Frank Zappa - Baby Snakes*
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
The Rolling Stones - Ladies And Gentlemen*
Charles Gerhardt - The Thing From Another Planet

-and many From DG , DECCA , LONDON , PHILLIPS via Pentatone

(Edit-twice)
I believe DV release their discs in a standard, 4.0 quad format. Any of these albums you list, if they were to release them, would be in that format. Staying with the original quad mix would, in my opinion, be a plus.

They've really got me wondering what's coming next. I mean, the last ones in January were an out-of-the-park smash.
If history tells us anything, it seems the next batch is due in the summer. I'm an August baby and turning the big 4-0.
C'mon Mr. Dutton.... give me something worth living for!! 🤪

They've really got me wondering what's coming next. I mean, the last ones in January were an out-of-the-park smash.
If history tells us anything, it seems the next batch is due in the summer. I'm an August baby and turning the big 4-0.
C'mon Mr. Dutton.... give me something worth living for!! 🤪

Turning 4.0?
How appropriate :)

David Bowie - Stage*

That's not really correct, David Live and Stage are both modern 5.1 remixes from the original multitracks. Tony Visconti mentions in the liner notes for Stage that he had quad in mind during the recording process, but he never actually created a quad mix of it in the '70s.

Stage Liner Notes.jpg

That's not really correct, David Live and Stage are both modern 5.1 remixes from the original multitracks. Tony Visconti mentions in the liner notes for Stage that he had quad in mind during the recording process, but he never actually created a quad mix of it in the '70s.

View attachment 67831

That 4 mics indication sounds as if he most definitely had quad in mind. (4 mics). Tony Visconti also mentions RCA bigwigs were on hand to oversee the recording session .
(FWIW @neilwilkes also pointed this probability out some time back and yet no one questioned him.)

DAVID LIVE was mixed in quad at the Electric Lady Studios by Eddie Kramer with both Tony Visconti and David Bowie.
Billboard 28th September 1974 pg 20 ;
"David Bowie in to mix a 4 channel 2 LP set with Tony Visconti at Electric Lady Studios N Y , Eddie Kramer engineered".

Upmixing from 4.0 to 5.1, in my opinion, goes against the original intent of the mix. Sure, certer channels and subwoofers weren't "a thing" back then, but I feel staying faithful to the original mix is important.

Yea, but that goes without saying and No one's suggesting they should .
Dutton will release quad sacd in 4.0.🤔

Weird that it doesn't come up in the Surround Polls index though!
Is there a master list anywhere of all Tomita available in optical formats?

https://www.hraudio.net/search.php?format=1&keywords=tomita
BTW, totally unfamiliar with this title but still available at CDJapan albeit as a Stereo SACD:

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/MHCL-10116
EDIT: NOT an Isao Tomita album...the CDJapan musical 'samples' suggest lounge musak!

Reissue as Hybrid SACD format. All tracks are newly mixed by Keiichi Tomita. Features remastering by Bernie Grundman.

Last edited:
Back