Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See the source image

"Mike, Don't I deserve my very own LIFE IN SURROUND segment?" えっ
You do! Mike needs much more Tomita in Surround education though!

I think if anything SONY/BMG (RCA, JVC) would have the Tomita Quad Masters.

So for any release....... if not DV..... maybe SONY Japan.

BTW ,.....That "Pyramid Sound" has me wondering if Tomita didn't engage in some form of quad matrix ?
It could be 4 corners w/middle height.

:unsure:

I think if anything SONY/BMG (RCA, JVC) would have the Tomita Quad Masters.

So for any release....... if not DV..... maybe SONY Japan.

BTW ,.....That "Pyramid Sound" has me wondering if Tomita didn't engage in some form of quad matrix ?
It could be 4 corners w/middle height.

:unsure:
RCA masters now fall under Sony Music, and have for some time. That includes Tomita's masters, too. Denon has released some of Tomita's albums on SACD, and this one may be on their agenda to release.

Its been a long time since any new DV quad reissues. I wish someone in the know like steelydave could reassure us that there are some in the pipeline headed to us even if not till sometime next year. I get nervous that the spigot has been turned off like AF.

well they just released some new stuff in Surround, it didn't include any old Quads but it gives me hope they're still in the game 🤞🙏

Adam, D~V's trend has been to release their own Epoch Classical Recordings [Multi~CH SACD] first followed by a conucopia of Rock, Pop, Jazz QUAD SACDs. No doubt, the pandemic has slowed things down considerably but no doubt, the mighty Watford Wizard will NOT let us [frankly, overzealous] devotees .. DOWN!

R.8247781a59c40ed13b95efdf5af207f9

Last edited:
I wonder what's happening at Sony? I still don't know much about this RA 360 stuff - never seen an advertisement for it or anything. They don't seem to be pushing it too hard, I almost wonder if it's an attempt on their part to see if they can market some sort of surround sound format. Typical Sony, it has to be their format; their game. I almost kind of hope it tanks so that they might just fling the vaults open for DV and hand him the key.

Thanks @winopener

I know he used "Pyramid Sound" on his stereo copy ,as verbatim is stated as you've pointed out. I have both CD-4
and stereo COPIES.

Also of note ,he utilized the very same "encoding" system on both "Live In Linz 1984" and "LIVE In New York 1986"(Back To Earth) released in 1988 , and there he renamed the encoded system as "Sound Cloud".

It kinda suggests to me he never really abandoned surround ,even in the form of a 5ch matrix ?

Attachments

• 20211120_164910.mp4
    4.2 MB
  • 20211120_165030.mp4
    6.8 MB
  • 20211120_165131.mp4
    2.6 MB
  • 20211120_165437.mp4
    1.6 MB
Back