Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposedly they have some great new releases in the pipeline, but no word yet on when. I guess we'll just have to be patient.
I've always figured that DV had things working with their releases up to two years in advance. So the pandemic might slow down pressing plants a bit, but licensing and all the rest of the efforts would not be as big an issue short term. In other words, I am expecting a good batch of rock / pop titles any minute. The pre-holiday season would be ideal, but I can wait until Jan. if the logistics are just too much for this year. Hummmm.

dv ron.jpg

I was browsing eBay the other day when I came across this and did a double take. A DV reissue of Christmas With Ronnie Aldrich?!! How did I miss that??

Sadly it's from 2005 and is a stereo CD only. But I would buy this in July if DV did a quad reissue. Especially if it was a twofer with one of his other quad releases.

View attachment 74541

I was browsing eBay the other day when I came across this and did a double take. A DV reissue of Christmas With Ronnie Aldrich?!! How did I miss that??

Sadly it's from 2005 and is a stereo CD only. But I would buy this in July if DV did a quad reissue. Especially if it was a twofer with one of his other quad releases.
I see three other Aldrich Quads, but didn't know this one had a Quad issue, do you know of one?

View attachment 74541

I see three other Aldrich Quads, but didn't know this one had a Quad issue, do you know of one?

Via AMPEX's tape duplicating services, there were quite a few London Phase 4 QUAD OPEN REEL RELEASES some of which I own. Wonder why D~V has never released any as part of their two~fer QUAD SACD releases?

BTW, Pupster, a complete list of Ronnie Aldrich QUAD releases. Did NOT realize there were so many:

RONNIE ALDRICH -
Christmas with Ronnie Aldrich. London H-144051 (QR),
L-744051 (Q8)

Close to you. London H-17156 (QR), L-77156 (Q8), LEQ-44156 (Q8) [Canada]
Come to Where the Love Is. London H-17190 (QR), L-77190 (Q8), LEQ-44190
(Q8) [Canada]
Destination Love. London H-144135 (QR), L-744135 (Q8)
For Young Lovers. London H-144108 (QR), L-744108 (Q8)
In the Gentle Hours. London H-144221 (QR), L-744221 (Q8), 4D-26
(CD4) [Japan]
Invitation to Love. London L-77176 (Q8), LEQ-44176 (Q8) [Canada]
It’s Happening Now. London H-144127 (QR), L-744127 (Q8)
Love Story. London H-144162 (QR), L-744162 (Q8)
Magic Moods Of. London H-144062 (QR), L-744062 (Q8)
Magnificent Pianos. London H-144029 (QR), L-744029 (Q8)
Romantic Pianos. London H-144042 (QR), L-744042 (Q8)
Soft & Wicked. London H-17195 (QR), L-77195 (Q8), LEQ-44195 (Q8)
[Canada]
The Way We Were. London H-144209 (QR), L-744209 (Q8)
Top of the World. London H-17203 (QR), L-77203 (Q8), LEQ.44203 (Q8) [Canada]

BTW, Pupster, a complete list of Ronnie Aldrich QUAD releases. Did NOT realize there were so many:

RONNIE ALDRICH -
Christmas with Ronnie Aldrich. London H-144051 (QR),
L-744051 (Q8)
Close to you. London H-17156 (QR), L-77156 (Q8), LEQ-44156 (Q8) [Canada]
Come to Where the Love Is. London H-17190 (QR), L-77190 (Q8), LEQ-44190
(Q8) [Canada]
Destination Love. London H-144135 (QR), L-744135 (Q8)
For Young Lovers. London H-144108 (QR), L-744108 (Q8)
In the Gentle Hours. London H-144221 (QR), L-744221 (Q8), 4D-26
(CD4) [Japan]
Invitation to Love. London L-77176 (Q8), LEQ-44176 (Q8) [Canada]
Love Story. London H-144162 (QR), L-744162 (Q8)
Magic Moods Of. London H-144062 (QR), L-744062 (Q8)
Magnificent Pianos. London H-144029 (QR), L-744029 (Q8)
Romantic Pianos. London H-144042 (QR), L-744042 (Q8)
Soft & Wicked. London H-17195 (QR), L-77195 (Q8), LEQ-44195 (Q8)
[Canada]
The Way We Were. London H-144209 (QR), L-744209 (Q8)
Top of the World. London H-17203 (QR), L-77203 (Q8), LEQ.44203 (Q8) [Canada]
Thanks for the research Ralphie, yeah that's a hand full alrighty
-and don't look at the Cheesecake for his Japanese "Romance In The Night" release... don't do it! 😊

Thanks for the research Ralphie, yeah that's a hand full alrighty
-and don't look at the Cheesecake for his Japanese "Romance In The Night" release... don't do it! 😊

Hate to spoil the fun, JP, but by today's standards Ronnie's twin pianos sound oh so gimmicky and CORNY! 🌽

Wish D~V could release pianist George Winston's stunning Windham Hill Christmas album DECEMBER as a stereo SACD! Simply Gorgeous!

See the source image

Hate to spoil the fun, JP, but by today's standards Ronnie's twin pianos sound oh so gimmicky and CORNY! 🌽

Wish D~V could release pianist George Winston's stunning Windham Hill Christmas album DECEMBER as a stereo SACD! Simply Gorgeous!

See the source image
So far, I know of just one Windham Hill album that has been re-released on SACD: Michael Hedges' Aerial Boundaries, by Audio Fidelity, mastered by Kevin Gray. The great thing about original Windham Hill CDs from the '80s and early '90s, though, is that they already sound great.

So far, I know of just one Windham Hill album that has been re-released on SACD: Michael Hedges' Aerial Boundaries, by Audio Fidelity, mastered by Kevin Gray. The great thing about original Windham Hill CDs from the '80s and early '90s, though, is that they already sound great.

Yes, JJ, I do have that ONE title from AF on SACD and it sounds superb and agree that even their RBCDs sounded wonderful but just wondering if the label now controlled by BMG/SONY is interested in licensing more of their catalogue to D~V possibly for STEREO SACD two~fers?

RONNIE ALDRICH -

A word of warning. I looked this up on Discogs and though it has a totally 'groovy' sleeve it is fake quad. (First example I've seen of company admitting a release is fake quad.)

It's a bit boring I guess, but while Boulez's Ravel quad recordings are pretty well-covered with digital releases (DG set, and some of Dutton's own releases) - Boulez's rendition of Le Tombeau De Couperin has never made it on to any digital formats in quad, and boy I'd like it to. Presumably the tapes are out there since so much of the other Boulez/Ravel quads have made it out.

Boulez Conducts Ravel, New York Philharmonic – Boulez Conducts Ravel, Vol. 2 (1973, Vinyl)

Just bugs me a bit that everything else has been covered but this hasn't >_>

Is anything even blowing in the breeze at D-V? Or is the world still far too insane to produce an SACD?
Yes, I'm with you on that.... I'm also waiting on their next 'bunch' release of Multi-channel SACD's that are other than classical. Nothing against classical! I'll get the classical titles but along with the Pop, Rock, Country & Easy listening ones in the same order.

Is anything even blowing in the breeze at D-V? Or is the world still far too insane to produce an SACD?
I keep seeing all those titles that D-V got out in Quad and were successful sellers at a guess, now in the lists on the streaming threads, and wondering now the labels can see they can make more money by renting have they taken D-Vs market from them? I hope not

I thought I saw some rumbling about a few classical titles (over at the other forums), but did not read it. I came here for the January announcement.

I hope they are not going to sit by and watch Sony Japan and Apple streaming deliver the killer quads that were oh so close and oh so available get reissued elsewhere. DV was so close to handing us that hard rock I so desired.

Just one more good round of rock titles, please!

I would like to buy from DV at least three Quad SACD's:
1) Blue Jays (1975)
Blue Jays is a 1975 album by Justin Hayward and John Lodge. It was recorded and released during the Moody Blues' five-year hiatus. During work on the Moody Blues album that was to follow Seventh Sojourn, bandmates Lodge, Mike Pinder, Ray Thomas and Graeme Edge summoned Hayward and producer Tony Clarke out of a recording session to call off the project.
2) Focus - Moving Waves (1971) or Focus - In And Out Of Focus (1970)
I don't remember which one has original Quad mix.
3) Passport - Passport - Doldinger (1971)

... and all 70's Santana Quads.

Attachments

• Blue Jays SACD.jpg
    Blue Jays SACD.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Focus - Moving Waves (1971).jpg
    Focus - Moving Waves (1971).jpg
    19 KB · Views: 49
  • Passport - Passport - Doldinger (1971).jpg
    Passport - Passport - Doldinger (1971).jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Focus - In and Out.jpg