Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops, how could I forget another gem:
4) Hot Butter - Pop Corn (1972)
Didn't know of this, seems like a fun choice! I hope DV do more rock titles but this seems like a realistic option based on their past releases.

I hope that they don't fritter away any of their selections for quad on SACD with novelties and unessentials. Too many great albums with stellar music, classic songs, and fine quad mixes left to do yet.

Would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to get some of the Japan-only AVCO or Motown stuff in discrete form.

Supremes, Diana Ross, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Jackson 5, The Stylistics, Van McCoy, Hot Butter, Rare Earth..... and there's LOTS there for some two-fers.
Probably even more that I'm forgetting....

I really wonder though.... were some of these Japan-only LP's ever initially considered to be released in the USA? I get the impression they were, it simply came down to AVCO/Motown not being able to locate or have production space allocated for their stuff. I mean, finding stereo 8-tracks from Motown is quite rare, and I'm not 100% sure who did them as they are a unique bunch. Who did LP stamping for Motown? If it was CBS, I could certainly understand CBS not wanting to stamp CD-4 LP's for a competitor....

Last edited:
Would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to get some of the Japan-only AVCO or Motown stuff in discrete form.

Supremes, Diana Ross, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Jackson 5, The Stylistics, Van McCoy, Hot Butter, Rare Earth..... and there's LOTS there for some two-fers.

I really wonder though.... were some of these Japan-only LP's ever initially considered to be released in the USA? I get the impression they were, it simply came down to AVCO/Motown not being able to locate or have production space allocated for their stuff. I mean, finding stereo 8-tracks from Motown is quite rare, and I'm not 100% sure who did them as they are a unique bunch. Who did LP stamping for Motown? If it was CBS, I could certainly understand CBS not wanting to stamp CD-4 LP's for a competitor....
I believe that the Japanese were very good about archiving and storing their tapes. The fact that the J5 and miss Ross got one of their quad albums out - even in fold-down state tells me that Motown in quad is a workable thing. At least they should do “What’s Going On” for disc or streaming.

I would love to hear that the Stylistics Quad masters are all sitting safe in a vault somewhere. A good long compilation disc is just waiting for someone to do. Even if just streaming it’s an obvious project.

That Sony Japan have the 7” series is really a ray of hope for Japanese quad master tapes I think.

I hope that they don't fritter away any of their selections for quad on SACD with novelties and unessentials. Too many great albums with stellar music, classic songs, and fine quad mixes left to do yet.
Seems like that's the case. A year since Burton Cummings and B.T.O. were released. It was mentioned they were directing their releases more to classical genere. Doesn't look to promising right now.

I'd buy all of them even if they weren't two-fers! I love that style of music.
:SB

Seems like that's the case. A year since Burton Cummings and B.T.O. were released. It was mentioned they were directing their releases more to classical genere. Doesn't look to promising right now.

Patience as the country of Austria (where sacd discs r made) i recently read has been under strict lockdowns due to political BS...cv19

This too shall pass eventually imho

I'd buy all of them even if they weren't two-fers! I love that style of music.
:SB

as much as i'd absolutely love the Motown Quads to be reissued by DV on SACD, i can't see Universal licencing them out anytime soon.

even then there's also source considerations since back in the day the Marvin Gaye Quads were said to be missing from the archives. according to Brian Moura, Universal scoured the vault to reissue Marvin's Quads about 20 years ago, to no avail (does anybody know where Brian is btw? 👀 hope he's ok!! 🤞).

although there's a faint glimmer of hope, in the years since then a couple of Motown Quads have surfaced, albeit in Stereo only (The Jackson 5 Greatest Hits & Diana Ross' "Last Time I Saw Him" Hip-O Deluxe) so maybe tapes have been located and at least Universal are still aware of the Motown Quads' existence.. where's there's life, there's hope! 😍

Patience as the country of Austria (where sacd discs r made) i recently read has been under strict lockdowns due to political BS...cv19

This too shall pass eventually imho

that may be a factor idk, i would also guess that vault access hasn't been the easiest during the lockdown etc and since DV rely on mastertapes for their releases that's possibly part of why there's not been anything for a while?

I realize there have been a plethora of MCH releases of this album already, but Machine Head’s US quad still has never made it to a digital format. Could do a two-fer with the Stormbringer quad mix, which has been released on DVD but I believe was rechanneled 5.1. Still have yet to hear the US quad and have heard it’s quite the ride. Not sure how the licensing would work for that one though.

I realize there have been a plethora of MCH releases of this album already, but Machine Head’s US quad still has never made it to a digital format. Could do a two-fer with the Stormbringer quad mix, which has been released on DVD but I believe was rechanneled 5.1. Still have yet to hear the US quad and have heard it’s quite the ride. Not sure how the licensing would work for that one though.
As much as a LOT of people could appreciate something like that, I don't know if that's exactly the kind of music that DV tends to have in its catalog. (Although I also never thought I'd see something like BTO or Mott the Hoople coming out on the DV label either...)

As much as a LOT of people could appreciate something like that, I don't know if that's exactly the kind of music that DV tends to have in its catalog. (Although I also never thought I'd see something like BTO or Mott the Hoople coming out on the DV label either...)
That’s true, although we’ve had multiple Guess Who releases and we just got the Rick Derringer two-fer, so here’s hoping. I for one would love to see how they would combine the two covers.

This has nothing to do with Dutton Vocalion, but REALLY wish SONY would re~activate their SACD pressing plant in Indiana to at least service all U.S. companies [MoFi/Analogue Productions/Intervention Records/Impex/PSAudio et alia] which continue to release SACDs. In part, it would take the expense and burden of shipping everything to Austria for replication and perhaps bolster the amount of SACDs produced domestically.

Just a thought!

This has nothing to do with Dutton Vocalion, but REALLY wish SONY would re~activate their SACD pressing plant in Indiana to at least service all U.S. companies [MoFi/Analogue Productions/Intervention Records/Impex/PSAudio et alia] which continue to release SACDs. In part, it would take the expense and burden of shipping everything to Austria for replication and perhaps bolster the amount of SACDs produced domestically.

Just a thought!
I didn't think MoFi did multi-channel anymore.

I would like to buy from DV at least three Quad SACD's:
1) Blue Jays (1975)
Blue Jays is a 1975 album by Justin Hayward and John Lodge. It was recorded and released during the Moody Blues' five-year hiatus. During work on the Moody Blues album that was to follow Seventh Sojourn, bandmates Lodge, Mike Pinder, Ray Thomas and Graeme Edge summoned Hayward and producer Tony Clarke out of a recording session to call off the project.
2) Focus - Moving Waves (1971) or Focus - In And Out Of Focus (1970)
I don't remember which one has original Quad mix.
3) Passport - Passport - Doldinger (1971)

... and all 70's Santana Quads.

Can you elaborate a bit ,on that particular Passport album ?
I only know of the Atlantic (WEA Europe) and Japanese Warner/Pioneer ...Passport-Handmade both in CD-4.
So if I'm missing something in quad ,it sure would be nice to know.

Also Focus had 2 available Q8's back in the day on Sire/GRT.

"Moving Waves" and "Live At The Rainbow".(This attached listing is from the Quad Inc Catalogue)

A bit of good news regarding the Bluejays album ,is that the Stereo copies are mixdowns from the Discrete masters and should play with some degree of four channel ,via a quad synthesizer, such as Sansui's QS matrix.

FWIW :Audio magazine in the US recommended trying QS or SQ ,on that Bluejays album. Frequently they would try this out(matrix decodes) on a number of albums and publish their findings.
:)

Attachments

• 16439229526193092899087817939894.jpg
    16439229526193092899087817939894.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 16439231423181914707139328497986.jpg
    16439231423181914707139328497986.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 57
Back