Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be great if Mr Dutton could get access to the quad recordings from United Artists. Almost all their quad recordings were only avaiable on 8 track. There is a good choice of music, much of which lan towards the easy listening music that fills their catalogus. The Ferrante and Teicher recordings come to mind.

It would be great if Mr Dutton could get access to the quad recordings from United Artists. Almost all their quad recordings were only avaiable on 8 track. There is a good choice of music, much of which lan towards the easy listening music that fills their catalogus. The Ferrante and Teicher recordings come to mind.

A possibility since United Artists now comes under the UMG banner. But until that time, D~V has a wonderful two~fer on a superbly remastered CD of:

Ferrante & Teicher In a Soulful Mood & Killing Me Softly

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4491
And the current sale price is £0.99.........

There might be a Ventures album or two from the UA catalog (owned by Capitol, and now UMG) in quad, I think I recall.

There are MORE than just a few:

THE VENTURES -
Hawaii Five-O. Liberty A-8948 (Q8)
On Stage '71. Liberty LZ-90001 (QS) [Japan]
On Stage '72. Liberty LLZ-80003 (QS) [Japan]
On Stage '73. Liberty LLZ-93001B (QS) [Japan]
On Stage '74. Liberty LLZ-82004 (QS) [Japan]
Only Hits (Complete). United Artist [2 TAPE] UA-DA1470-P (Q8)
Only Hits Vol. 1. United Artist UA-DA1471-H (Q8)
Only Hits Vol. 2. United Artist UA-DA1472-H (Q8)

THE VENTURES -
On Stage '71. Liberty LZ-90001 (QS) [Japan]
On Stage '72. Liberty LLZ-80003 (QS) [Japan]
On Stage '73. Liberty LLZ-93001B (QS) [Japan]
On Stage '74. Liberty LLZ-82004 (QS) [Japan]

I would LOVE it if Dutton could release some Ventures on Quad SACD.

THE VENTURES -

I'd take a 2-Fer of all hits, sure.

D-V have done a couple of titles from the U/A catalog, Donald Byrd's Black Byrd and Street Lady. These are obviously Blue Note titles but the Blue Note catalog was under the control of U/A at the time, and has since been absorbed into UMG.

I did a thread a few years back that was a history of all the U/A (and related labels) releases which includes a full discography of both released and announced-but-never-released titles for anyone interested:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ed-artists-blue-note-quad-info-history.23442/
I think if the U/A catalog was under the control of Sony you'd probably see D-V tackle some of the easy listening titles like Ferrante & Teicher, but licensing from UMG is slow and more complicated so they've chosen to focus on titles with broader appeal, like the two Donald Byrd albums, and more recently the Bachman-Turner Overdrive two-fer.

Of the titles that remain, for me the real prizes would be Lou Donaldson's Sassy Soul Strut (the third and final Blue Note quad), the two Bobby Womack titles (legendary, chart-topping albums with nice mixes), Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die (if a quad mix exists), the soundtrack for Live and Let Die (for the title track alone), and maybe the Buddy Rich Greatest Hits album, even though the quad mix isn't super discrete, because there isn't much big band music in quad. Paul Anka's The Painter would also make an interesting release, if a discrete quad master exists (it was a single-inventory QS LP release) given that it dates from right at the end of the quad era, and Anka is right in D-V's wheelhouse, style and genre-wise.

The War titles (Deliver the Word, The World is a Ghetto, Live Vol. 1 & 2) would make great candidates too, but sadly the rights to those titles belong to their former manager, and he's taken them to Warner Music in recent years so they're not available to D-V.

That Ventures Only Hits double album is misleading too - it's not a greatest hits album, it's new recordings done by a group of mostly studio musicians (and not the original band) and for me, of minimal interest as a result, especially if you weigh it up against the other stuff I've listed above.

The War titles (Deliver the Word, The World is a Ghetto, Live Vol. 1 & 2) would make great candidates too, but sadly the rights to those titles belong to their former manager, and he's taken them to Warner Music in recent years so they're not available to D-V.
That would make a great Quadio box set. Calling @ForagingRhino ...

He did get some Donald Byrd!

D-V have done a couple of titles from the U/A catalog, Donald Byrd's Black Byrd and Street Lady. These are obviously Blue Note titles but the Blue Note catalog was under the control of U/A at the time, and has since been absorbed into UMG.

I did a thread a few years back that was a history of all the U/A (and related labels) releases which includes a full discography of both released and announced-but-never-released titles for anyone interested:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ed-artists-blue-note-quad-info-history.23442/
I think if the U/A catalog was under the control of Sony you'd probably see D-V tackle some of the easy listening titles like Ferrante & Teicher, but licensing from UMG is slow and more complicated so they've chosen to focus on titles with broader appeal, like the two Donald Byrd albums, and more recently the Bachman-Turner Overdrive two-fer.

Of the titles that remain, for me the real prizes would be Lou Donaldson's Sassy Soul Strut (the third and final Blue Note quad), the two Bobby Womack titles (legendary, chart-topping albums with nice mixes), Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die (if a quad mix exists), the soundtrack for Live and Let Die (for the title track alone), and maybe the Buddy Rich Greatest Hits album, even though the quad mix isn't super discrete, because there isn't much big band music in quad. Paul Anka's The Painter would also make an interesting release, if a discrete quad master exists (it was a single-inventory QS LP release) given that it dates from right at the end of the quad era, and Anka is right in D-V's wheelhouse, style and genre-wise.

That Ventures Only Hits double album is misleading too - it's not a greatest hits album, it's new recordings done by a group of mostly studio musicians (and not the original band) and for me, of minimal interest as a result, especially if you weigh it up against the other stuff I've listed above.
I've been wanting that Lou Donaldson Sassy Soul Strut for a long time; but at this point any decent popular release would be a relieving sight.

This one's probably been mentioned before, but I know this sounds AMAZING and would make a great D-V SACD.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2746276-Creative-Source-Migration
Here's what it says about the Sussex label on discogs:

Early 1970s Los Angeles-based label founded by Clarence Avant and distributed by Buddah for the whole of its existence. Best remembered for the early recordings of Bill Withers as well as being the home base of guitarist/producer Dennis Coffey.
The label closed in 1975 after Avant was prosecuted for tax evasion and the label's offices were raided by the Internal Revenue Service. By this time, Coffey moved to Westbound and Withers, the label's biggest star, signed with Columbia Records and took his Sussex masters with him.
Avant ultimately joined Columbia as it's Black Music A&R chief and formed a new label (Tabu Records) during his time there.

So I guess, Columbia to Sony, or Tabu which ended up with Demon Music Group Ltd., :unsure:
But this is so good, I'm wondering why MJD hasn't done it yet, perhaps just little known band or missing/damaged tapes (IRS raid???)

i am really hoping for some more pop rock, i would especially like for them to finish the BTO quads. I haven't bought anything from them in almost year and a half. Ready to spend. Hope they have more coming sometime.

Back