Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a possibility of a partnership between the Universal Music label, Dutton Vocalion and Richard Carpenter to be able to launch a remastered Quadraphonic version of The Carpenters albums? Do Analog Master Tapes Quad still exist? My dream is to be able to listen to all their albums in Quadraphonic format.
From Richard Carpenter [paraphrased]: The Carpenter's multi track analogue masters perished in the Universal Fire of 2007. The last time I used them was to make Carpenter's The Singles on Multi~CH SACD 5.1. If I had NOT been so diligent and returned them on time, they still would've existed.

See the source image

I don't know if it's just me feeling my age or not, but the Carpenters hipness co-efficient seems to have crept upward from my POV over the last few years. I always liked most of their music from my youth, but the worse everything on the radio now gets, the more I appreciate their musicianship. Following with interest...

The multitrack masters may be gone, but the quad masters could still exist. Now & Then and The Singles were issued on CD-4 LP by King Records in Japan - if the US A&M quad masters are indeed gone, maybe the Japanese copies are still around. Didn’t D-V use a Japanese quad master for their BTO two-fer?

Checklist of all albums Quad of The Carpenters: Close to You (1970), Carpenters (1971), A Song For You (1972), Now and Then (1973), Singles 1969-1973 and Horizon (1975). A total of six albums in Quadraphonic version. And out of all these six albums, the two I most want to hear on Quad are A Song For You and Horizon, mainly the songs Solitaire and Desperado, must be amazing listen in Quad version.

Checklist of all albums Quad of The Carpenters: Close to You (1970), Carpenters (1971), A Song For You (1972), Now and Then (1973), Singles 1969-1973 and Horizon (1975). A total of six albums in Quadraphonic version. And out of all these six albums, the two I most want to hear on Quad are A Song For You and Horizon, mainly the songs Solitaire and Desperado, must be amazing listen in Quad version.
"A Song For You" was released in New Zealand on a QS LP. It might also have been issued on Q8 there, but it also was here. I'd be happy to get my hands on one of those QS records.

Would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to get some of the Japan-only AVCO or Motown stuff in discrete form.

Supremes, Diana Ross, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Jackson 5, The Stylistics, Van McCoy, Hot Butter, Rare Earth..... and there's LOTS there for some two-fers.
Probably even more that I'm forgetting....

I really wonder though.... were some of these Japan-only LP's ever initially considered to be released in the USA? I get the impression they were, it simply came down to AVCO/Motown not being able to locate or have production space allocated for their stuff. I mean, finding stereo 8-tracks from Motown is quite rare, and I'm not 100% sure who did them as they are a unique bunch. Who did LP stamping for Motown? If it was CBS, I could certainly understand CBS not wanting to stamp CD-4 LP's for a competitor....
I'd really love to see some Motown "Greatest Hits" albums on quad SACD, but with the hit versions, not the "alternate takes" that the Japanese quad LP's used. That would be a "Miracle"; a "Supreme" delight. It would be a real "Temptation" to buy them...

Now that EMI falls under the UMG umbrella, there are some great titles that were released in quad in many parts of the world, but not in the US. Capitol was a major holdout for quad; they released only a handful of compilation albums in SQ, but no major releases. There were titles released in Canada that could only be had by buying them from there. England had many; Germany, too, as well as many other countries. We've been deprived, in the US, of many of these. How about it, D-V?

Now that EMI falls under the UMG umbrella, there are some great titles that were released in quad in many parts of the world, but not in the US. Capitol was a major holdout for quad; they released only a handful of compilation albums in SQ, but no major releases. There were titles released in Canada that could only be had by buying them from there. England had many; Germany, too, as well as many other countries. We've been deprived, in the US, of many of these. How about it, D-V?

Mandingo! Especially the Canadian release Mandingo III! The other two albums were released "Sacrifice" in Germany and "The Primeval Rhythm of Life" released in Australia. Curiously the Australian release bears the Columbia label but is not our (CBS) Columbia!

I'd really love to see some Motown "Greatest Hits" albums on quad SACD, but with the hit versions, not the "alternate takes" that the Japanese quad LP's used. That would be a "Miracle"; a "Supreme" delight. It would be a real "Temptation" to buy them...
That would be “Tops.” And I “ain’t too proud to beg.”

Mandingo! Especially the Canadian release Mandingo III! The other two albums were released "Sacrifice" in Germany and "The Primeval Rhythm of Life" released in Australia. Curiously the Australian release bears the Columbia label but is not our (CBS) Columbia!
"Columbia" was an EMI label in most of the world, until Sony bought out the rights to the name from them, and from Nippon Columbia in Japan (Denon).

Last edited:
"Columbia" was an EMI label until Sony bought out the rights to the name from them, and from Nippon Columbia in Japan (Denon).
All the Columbias have a common American ancestor, but were split off at some point many decades ago. As late as at least 1978, there were British EMI Columbia records issued with labels that were very similar to ancient American Columbia 78s.

PRICE INCREASE at the end of September for ALL D~V SACDs .....So if you've delayed any orders of previous titles, ORDER NOW:

End of September price increases – SACD titles only
Due to various factors beyond our control, chief among which is rising manufacturing costs, we’ve had no choice but to increase the price of our SACD titles.
From the end of September all double-disc SACD titles with 2CDLK, 2CDSML and 2CDLX prefixes will go up by £4 to £23.99 plus p&p, except for 2CDLX 7385 Havergal Brian “Faust” which will become £26.99 plus p&p.
Also, from the end of September all single-disc SACD titles with CDLK, CDSML and CDLX prefixes will go up by £1 to £12.99.
*The prices of all non-SACD titles will remain the same.

Back