Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PRICE INCREASE at the end of September for ALL D~V SACDs .....So if you've delayed any orders of previous titles, ORDER NOW:

End of September price increases – SACD titles only
Due to various factors beyond our control, chief among which is rising manufacturing costs, we’ve had no choice but to increase the price of our SACD titles.
From the end of September all double-disc SACD titles with 2CDLK, 2CDSML and 2CDLX prefixes will go up by £4 to £23.99 plus p&p, except for 2CDLX 7385 Havergal Brian “Faust” which will become £26.99 plus p&p.
Also, from the end of September all single-disc SACD titles with CDLK, CDSML and CDLX prefixes will go up by £1 to £12.99.
*The prices of all non-SACD titles will remain the same.
I guess it was to be expected, but the prices are still reasonable, especially for the twofer albums.

In the process of ripping this SQ LP title #CBS Masterworks - 76520 from 1978; and was wondering about a possible DV release for this one. It's pretty dynamic and dramatic stuff that might fit in well with some Sci-Fi movie soundtrack.

https://www.discogs.com/release/112...York-Philharmonic-Ameriques-Arcana-Ionisation
VARESE SQ.jpg

In the process of ripping this SQ LP title #CBS Masterworks - 76520 from 1978; and was wondering about a possible DV release for this one. It's pretty dynamic and dramatic stuff that might fit in well with some Sci-Fi movie soundtrack.

https://www.discogs.com/release/112...York-Philharmonic-Ameriques-Arcana-Ionisation
View attachment 83677
I'd get behind that. Not an easy listen, exactly, but surely Michael feels compelled to complete the "Boulez Conducts" series?

I'd get behind that. Not an easy listen, exactly, but surely Michael feels compelled to complete the "Boulez Conducts" series?
I'm on my second listen of side one as I rip side two, I like it and would be an instant buy!

Besides, if MJD did do it, I'm guessing it would come out more discrete than my SQ decode.

I'm on my second listen of side one as I rip side two, I like it and would be an instant buy!

Besides, if MJD did do it, I'm guessing it would come out more discrete than my SQ decode.
Hey, if everyone from Frank Zappa to Bobby Lamm dug Varese, then a broad range of QQers could learn to dig him, too!

It's been released through Nippon Columbia/Denon, and is available from Amazon.
Hello jaybird100... your response gave me goosebumps. I jumped to the amazon sites (both the international and the japanese sites) but I had no luck. No version of The Bermuda Triangle in surround available on amazon or anywhere else for that matter.
Do you have any more specific information about this?

Best regards, my dear fellow surround enthusiast !!

Hello jaybird100... your response gave me goosebumps. I jumped to the amazon sites (both the international and the japanese sites) but I had no luck. No version of The Bermuda Triangle in surround available on amazon or anywhere else for that matter.
Do you have any more specific information about this?

Best regards, my dear fellow surround enthusiast !!
My bad... it was a misprint. I fell for it, too. Sorry 'bout that!

To complete what they started last go round, Kris Kristofferson "Best of".

Also The Friends Of Distinction "Love Can Make It Easier" & "Greatest Hits" perhaps as well " Friends & People" (stereo) for completeness.

I would love to see the Johnny Winter quads especially "Saints & Sinners"

Aerosmith "Rocks" Get Your Wings and Toys In The Attic

To complete what they started last go round, Kris Kristofferson "Best of".

Also The Friends Of Distinction "Love Can Make It Easier" & "Greatest Hits" perhaps as well " Friends & People" (stereo) for completeness.

I would love to see the Johnny Winter quads especially "Saints & Sinners"

Aerosmith "Rocks" Get Your Wings and Toys In The Attic

The Aerosmith QUAD SACDs will most likely be issued by SONY Japan if Toys In The Attic was any indication!

So many Quads from the Warner group would be great. Still many Columbia's that haven't been released as well. Two Warner's that (CD-4) I always loved and so well mixed are:

Maria Muldaur "Wattress in a Donut Shop"

Arlo Guthrie "Last of the Brooklyn Cowboys"

I listen to these now (stereo) and it just isn't the same as the quad mixes that I remember so well. It's hard to listen to the stereo only versions. There are many examples of quad mixes that are only avaible in stereo and hard to listen to, such a loss. I still don't understand the so called audiophiles dislike of quad, there loss, AH.

Was BTO's greatest hits ever produced in quad? I've been holding out purchasing the DV quad of BTO's first two albums hoping we'd see their greatest hits and Not Fragile as a twofer. Even a single quad of their greatest hits would be very desirable for a casual fan such as myself. (But, with a twofer of Not Fragile and Four Wheel Drive, I'd no doubt buy both twofers.)

Was BTO's greatest hits ever produced in quad? I've been holding out purchasing the DV quad of BTO's first two albums hoping we'd see their greatest hits and Not Fragile as a twofer. Even a single quad of their greatest hits would be very desirable for a casual fan such as myself. (But, with a twofer of Not Fragile and Four Wheel Drive, I'd no doubt buy both twofers.)
no GH Quad BTO afaik unfortunately 😔

no GH Quad BTO afaik unfortunately 😔

They could create it though, by simply compiling what they've already remastered. The 1976 album "Best Of (So Far)" was only 9 songs, but D-V could add "Free Wheelin'" and "Four Wheel Drive" to make the track list similar to the 1998 re-release. It's entirely possible.

I guess one thing I'd like to know - really - but exactly HOW untouchable are the Elvis Quads? They've seen a SONY RA 360 release including an entirely never-before-known-about album. Maybe it's time to dig and see if there's any other? Supposedly, "From Elvis Presley Boulevard; Memphis, TN" was in the process of being readied for release in 1976. But with the Sony releases on their new format, maybe they're not opposed any longer for releasing a hard copy? And heck, I would not mind one bit if they were one-disc, one-album releases. I'd be perfectly fine with that. It's just high time (I believe) that this stuff was put out. Especially Aloha. AND especially "From Elvis in Memphis", Mr Dutton, please contact me before you let that one out so we can get the channel locations correct once and for all!

Another silly thought : Laura Nyro.
So, we know "Eli & The 13th Confession" was done to Quad at least three times. Jim Reeves claims he did "Christmas & the Beads of Sweat" and a magazine article from way, way back claims "Gonna take a Miracle" was done and coming soon. (Sorry, I don't jot down sources, just what albums get mentioned) That got me thinking. Laura Nyro was a fairly heavy-hitting artist for CBS in her day. Were any other albums given the Quad treatment? Maybe it's worth a look?? I for one won't cry over a second release of "Eli" for those who missed it the first time around on Audio Fidelity. Should we get a three-pack or a foursome on a D-V 2-disc set, one being the inclusion of "Eli".... I'm not going to piss and moan.

Not to mention, I don't think any of her albums have been re-released in any form in a long, long time. I'd say her stereo albums are due some time in the sunshine.

Back