Suggestions for Record Cleaning

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Any suggestions for an excellent method of cleaning records that won't break the bank? I don't have a lot of LP's and don't want to invest a large sum in a record cleaning device. What are some suggestions that I might look for?

I use Cai Cambell's suggested method, squirt some liquid lighter fluid on a cotton ball or soft brush and clean the record with it. It evaporates, does not harm the vinyl being a petroleum based fluid, and gets it super clean. I also use a Magnetic Record Cleaner (it looks like a rectangular lint remover thingy) before I play each lp, keeps the static and dust down.

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
Here's an article I grabbed off the web (might have been thru a reference on Steve Hoffman's board, but I don't remember). I haven't tried it yet since it seems to involve a lot more prep work than I have time for at the moment, but perhaps some hardy soul is willing to give it a shot...

Attachments

• Record Cleaning.doc
    40.5 KB · Views: 260
I use Cai Cambell's suggested method, squirt some liquid lighter fluid on a cotton ball or soft brush and clean the record with it. It evaporates, does not harm the vinyl being a petroleum based fluid, and gets it super clean. I also use a Magnetic Record Cleaner (it looks like a rectangular lint remover thingy) before I play each lp, keeps the static and dust down.

What? Lighter Fluid on vinyl? Buehler?

This really depends on what you want as far as end results, I don't own a ultrasonic but have used one on several occasions some good some not so good, but putting a record out to dry or in the case of the
single disc on in the link with air drying is in my opinion is bad, as all fluids need to be as close as possible to being 100% removed. If one vacuumed the fluid off that would be much better.
Spenceo's suggestion is a good way to go if your on a tight budget, but use good pure fluids, fluids with high solids, sugar, soaps will mask what you hear and this one statement is well pretty crazy
if people would actually use vodka for any clean purpose other then your liver

"Ethyl alcohol, sometimes applied to records in the form of vodka is more damaging to vinyl than is isopropyl "

A lot to me depends on what you want to clean, $1 thrift store vinyl and high $ vinyl like new Mofi stuff really need two different levels of care and same goes for the fluids used. Yes new record do need a cleaning. On some used stuff I pick up it can take me 3 or 4 cleans to get old dried fluids out of the groves to the point were the record finally reveals it's true audio sparkle.

Once you climb the ladder of stylus tips you will start to see why fluids used can have a big impact on what you hear and of course pulling out ALL the dirt helps too.

Well, 350 bucks isn't too bad but I have always just hand washed records with Dawn and have always had good results, including with CD-4 records. With my degenerated dexterity, however, if I had many records to clean, I might reconsider. I don't foresee ever having many records to clean from now on, though.

Doug

Many do not realize the importance of completely rinsing the fluid with suspended contaminants in it, off the record. It really is of utmost importance. I have always considered the vendors claiming you don't have to rinse their cleaner off as nonsense.

Doug

Well, 350 bucks isn't too bad but I have always just hand washed records with Dawn and have always had good results, including with CD-4 records. With my degenerated dexterity, however, if I had many records to clean, I might reconsider. I don't foresee ever having many records to clean from now on, though.

Doug
Doug - when you use water and Dawn, once you rinse the record......how do you get it dry?

First, I will describe how I make sure the record is thoroughly rinsed. After rotating the record numerous times with the detergent, I initially rinse the detergent off but then go back to scrubbing the record again with no detergent present to get into the groove to remove any remaining detergent. Then, I rinse again for a while and if I know the water is hard water, use distilled water as a final rinse.

To dry the record, I just use a lint free towel (dish towel, ideally washed several times) until the surface gets slick, which indicates it's dry. Upon the first playing I use a Discwasher brush just in case there's any dust left. There rarely is and I have never had any problems with surface noise after this procedure.

Doug

I used to do a method like Doug G's. I did a write up on it on my website with some specifics -- Cleaning Records . It's cheap and easy and works very well.

These days, I use a VPI because I scored one pretty cheap. Not sure that there's a huge difference in terms of cleanliness, but the VPI is less messy to use.

Ortofon record brush(about $30) for cleaning the excess dirt and then some distilled water mixed with a squirt of rubbing alcohol (the alcohol is on the bottle contents, NOT for every cleaning), and wipe off with Kimwipes..Usually repeat the water and kimwipes for "dirty" LPs...

I used to do a method like Doug G's. I did a write up on it on my website with some specifics -- Cleaning Records . It's cheap and easy and works very well.

These days, I use a VPI because I scored one pretty cheap. Not sure that there's a huge difference in terms of cleanliness, but the VPI is less messy to use.

Yes, and the chief benefit of a machine is the ease. Washing them by hand to get them really clean is a fair amount of work, especially as you get older.

Doug

I Built my own vacuum LP cleaning machine using ideas from this site:

DIY Record Cleaner

By far the best thing I ever did for my LP's. Especially for my CD-4's. Well worth the time and way better than coughing up $500-$1000 for a nice Nitty Gritty or VPI machine. :smokin
This is on point.

A dry carbon fiber brush for lifting up stray dust (so it doesn't get mashed down into the groove from playing it!) for already clean records. For anything soiled with finger oil or worse, the above.

Back