Suggestions for Record Cleaning

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll cringe, but years ago I worked at a used record store that used Windex and a soft cloth to clean records. Worked great.

I am using a cheap Chinese 10L ultrasonic tank with a rotisserie from "Vinyl Stack". Works great, I rinse after and then dry with a microfiber from the auto parts store. Seems to work better than my old Nitty Gritty, or at least the solution got dirty cleaning records that had already been cleaned with the NG, and I am noticing less surface noise as well.

Stylus is dipped in a container of Moongel between plays; I am told that that is very similar to the Zerodust but cheaper.

One thing about using a product not intended for records: Tomorrow's "new improved formula" might be death for records.

One thing about using a product not intended for records: Tomorrow's "new improved formula" might be death for records.

Yeah, "Ya know, Windex worked real good but when they started putting lacquer thinner in it, my records didn't sound too good. In fact the grooves seemed to have disappeared. Weird!"

:D

But seriously, there isn't really anything in present day Windex that'll hurt record vinyl.

Doug

I ended up financing mine, which made it easier on my financially. But, it took me years to pull the trigger on the purchase.
I ended up financing mine, which made it easier on my financially. But, it took me years to pull the trigger on the purchase.
I hear you on that. I've been looking at them for years....also dragging my feet. Seems a bit extreme, but I know I'd get good use out of it.

Back