SUN RA -Magic City. Impulse AS-9243 (QS) Is it really QUAD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect that the discrete masters are long gone and a decoded QS version would be all that is available. A couple of the Modern Harmonic/Sundazed reissues claim to be mixed down to stereo but I am wondering how they took out the QS information. I assume they used the LP master tapes which would most likely be QS encoded two track masters. I like the quality of other Sundazed titles in my collection so maybe the MH reissues are the way to go for Sun Ra fans.

I have all the MH titles and they do sound great!

But Sun Ra in surround sound and/or SACD......

Ed Michel does not list the album as being produced by him.
list of all the recordings I've produced

I am leaning way passed this being quad but who knows when I will get around to updating the popular and not quad pages. Plenty of time for others to chime in. I still need to give it a listen myself.
I sure wish I could get more input from folks but maybe the lack of input speaks for itself. No one knows where this being listed as quad started other than the Billboard article.

BUMP !

That Billboard listing has "Dog Style " as a new QS recommended tune from the album of the same name by Three Dog Night .

I checked the album # and ABC/Command CQD 40018 , belongs to Three Dog Night - "Coming Down Your Way "
still I can't help but notice that that's two different sources now that listed Three Dog Night -"Dog Style " being released in Quad (QS).
The other was of course Sansui 's 4 Channel Scene .

Makes me wonder if it might have been issued for Radio/Review copy , but then suppressed , never released commercially.
"Dog Style" was the originally intended title for "Coming Down Your Way". Wikipedia says that it was changed for unknown reasons but I think that the reason for the change is very obvious!

"Dog Style" was the originally intended title for "Coming Down Your Way". Wikipedia says that it was changed for unknown reasons but I think that the reason for the change is very obvious!

Thankyou , Ken
At the time of writing that post, ..I was not aware that Dog Style was the working title. As a matter of fact just this year I found out that discrepancy , when I was jumped all over for posting it as a Never Released quad album for Dutton Vocalion to consider.
So that is one that escaped my attention .

Ed Michel does not list the album as being produced by him.
list of all the recordings I've produced

I am leaning way passed this being quad but who knows when I will get around to updating the popular and not quad pages. Plenty of time for others to chime in. I still need to give it a listen myself.
I sure wish I could get more input from folks but maybe the lack of input speaks for itself. No one knows where this being listed as quad started other than the Billboard article.

I'm just bumping this thread ,as I think ED Michel 's quad QS listings are most revealing .
Lot's of "stealth" quad albums contained therein .
:)

Back