DVD/DTS Poll Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power [DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DD DVD of Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Post your thoughts, comments, reflections, opinions and other qualitative assessments of Welsh indie powerhouse Super Furry Animals 2003 release, Phantom Power.

DVD includes all 14 album tracks all mixed in 5.1 with accompanying music videos, along with 16 (stereo only) remixes.

Note that this disc was issued in three different territories: UK/Europe (PAL, Dolby Digital), Australia (PAL, Dolby Digital) and North America (NTSC, Dolby Digital)

R-1061996-1448097802-8193.jpeg.jpg
super-furry-animals-phantom-power-3-dv.jpg

Discogs links: UK/Europe PAL/DD DVD / Australia PAL/DD DVD / North America NTSC/DD DVD
Wiki page for the album: Phantom Power

I voted 9. I just got this disc, used, for about $10 including tax & shipping from an Amazon seller. It sounds really good on the first run-through. I may have voted prematurely (and it's my first poll vote ever!), but I couldn't bear to see zero votes for this disc from an incredibly interesting and idiosyncratic band, that made the effort to provide surround mixes for several of their albums. I took off a point because it's a DVD-V, so the 5.1 mixes are lossy, and it's mastered quite loud for my tastes (apparently an issue with all their releases). But still very well worth getting, if you like the band at all, or if you're open to weird power-poppy rock that's all over the map with major talent seeping through.

Although it's not mentioned on the inlay, this disc also has a DTS option. However, the sound is still rather disappointing. I ripped it to Flac and made a note that the DTS was 48/16 - yes, 16 - so that might explain it though I doubt it. Could also be because of the dynamic compression. I don't find it a tiring listen which you might expect with a low DR, but it is rather lifeless and dull. I'm sure I would enjoy the music and the mix more if the sound was better. Even so, it's a pretty good mix and nice to have some 'modern' music in surround.

[A surround album with 16 remixes would sell for £30 if released these days. Instead, this can be had in Like New condition for £2.49 inc postage. (I've just checked, there are multiple copies on Amazon marketplace.) Certainly worth a try for the price.]

Last edited:
Although it's not mentioned on the inlay, this disc also has a DTS option. However, the sound is still rather disappointing. I ripped it to Flac and made a note that the DTS was 48/16 - yes, 16 - so that might explain it though I doubt it. Could also be because of the dynamic compression. I don't find it a tiring listen which you might expect with a low DR, but it is rather lifeless and dull. I'm sure I would enjoy the music and the mix more if the sound was better. Even so, it's a pretty good mix and nice to have some 'modern' music in surround.

[A surround album with 16 remixes would sell for £30 if released these days. Instead, this can be had in Like New condition for £2.49 inc postage. (I've just checked, there are multiple copies on Amazon marketplace.) Certainly worth a try for the price.]
I think it is mainly the overdone dynamic compression that compromises the fidelity most for this album, and, as I mentioned above, all releases from this band. I was just listening to their Dark Days/Light Years album on CD, and it's brickwalled to the point that it's hard to listen to in spots... but still the music is so interesting and the styles so varied that I persist with it. Song-wise, I prefer Dark Days... to the three (that I know of) that were released in a surround version. Apologies for wandering off-topic on a poll page.

Last edited:
I've had another look at this DVD. I had ripped just the main tracks to Flac - I'm not very interested in the stereo-only remixes. However, it seems that each track has an extra intro if you watch it individually. (I used the whole album option before I ripped the disc.) There is a vast amount of tracks on the disc - about 60, one of which is the complete album, meaning there's a lot of extra stuff. There are the individual tracks, their intros, the remixes and the song lyrics. Though the remixes are stereo only the intros, lyrics, menu and credits are DD 5.1. It's probably not worth listening the lyric audio too often (you'll see what I mean if you try) but the intros and credits section are worth ripping, I think. Just thought I'd mention it in case anybody else finds DVD structure (or lack of) as confusing as I do and had missed it.

(I know it can be fun, but DVD Easter Eggs often frustrate me! Though it's worth buying The Who's The Kids Are Alright just to get the 5.1 of Who Are You.)

I obviously made this poll partly because I think this title is a hidden gem, but I'm conflicted about what to vote on it.

As others have pointed out, the mix is pretty highly compressed (relative to older music) but I don't find it bothering me, as it's obviously an artistic choice on the part of the band (much like the Flaming Lips, although not nearly as severe) and not because of a sadistic mastering engineer.

The reason I say I'm conflicted is because my inclination is I want to vote a '7' because I think Rings Around the World, SFA's other DTS DVD-V album, is better (in terms of songs, sonics and songwriting) but a 7 seems like I'm damning it with faint praise.

It's a funny thing - if there's a classic album that gets reissued with a modern surround mix that's well crafted but underwhelming (take Guthrie's 5.1 of Pink Floyd's DSOTM for example) I'd probably also rate it a '7', but I almost never listen to releases I'd give that kind of rating (7's I wish were 10's) to. Whereas with these SFA discs I find myself keeping them in semi-regular roation despite their shortcomings and enjoying them every time.

I've had another look at this DVD. I had ripped just the main tracks to Flac - I'm not very interested in the stereo-only remixes. However, it seems that each track has an extra intro if you watch it individually. (I used the whole album option before I ripped the disc.) There is a vast amount of tracks on the disc - about 60, one of which is the complete album, meaning there's a lot of extra stuff. There are the individual tracks, their intros, the remixes and the song lyrics. Though the remixes are stereo only the intros, lyrics, menu and credits are DD 5.1. It's probably not worth listening the lyric audio too often (you'll see what I mean if you try) but the intros and credits section are worth ripping, I think. Just thought I'd mention it in case anybody else finds DVD structure (or lack of) as confusing as I do and had missed it.

(I know it can be fun, but DVD Easter Eggs often frustrate me! Though it's worth buying The Who's The Kids Are Alright just to get the 5.1 of Who Are You.)
There's a funny Easter egg on the dvd, i think it was chapter 90 on the disc (very long time since i hunted for it though)

I obviously made this poll partly because I think this title is a hidden gem, but I'm conflicted about what to vote on it.

As others have pointed out, the mix is pretty highly compressed (relative to older music) but I don't find it bothering me, as it's obviously an artistic choice on the part of the band (much like the Flaming Lips, although not nearly as severe) and not because of a sadistic mastering engineer.

The reason I say I'm conflicted is because my inclination is I want to vote a '7' because I think Rings Around the World, SFA's other DTS DVD-V album, is better (in terms of songs, sonics and songwriting) but a 7 seems like I'm damning it with faint praise.

It's a funny thing - if there's a classic album that gets reissued with a modern surround mix that's well crafted but underwhelming (take Guthrie's 5.1 of Pink Floyd's DSOTM for example) I'd probably also rate it a '7', but I almost never listen to releases I'd give that kind of rating (7's I wish were 10's) to. Whereas with these SFA discs I find myself keeping them in semi-regular roation despite their shortcomings and enjoying them every time.

I think this probably deserves a 6 or 7. It's a pretty good mix, with lots of extras, music pretty good, spoiled by slightly below average sound.

I don't want to derail the thread but this is an example of why although I comment, I rarely vote. (I haven't here.) I usually don't even bother to look at the votes when deciding whether to buy a release. I find comments useful, votes much less so. I think 7 is a respectable score. Compared to The White Album of course it's going to be significantly worse.

Dammit! Why do there continue to be interesting bands I've ignored that I now must check out?!
I know it's old, but I loved your comment. I purposely ignored this band because of the name but a guy that runs a local record store calls me when he gets any surround discs in from people who sell them to him because they think the discs are defective (it's 2023 - how is THAT still happening?). I came on here to read comments and then gave a quick listen to the album on youtube and decided it was worth it and love the album.

Back