Supertramp: Crime of the Century MFSL

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Hookup

This CD, although not new, not surround, will absolutely knock your socks off. If it is still available, buy it! I have it. I hadn't listened to it for a while, but recently I listened to it again. Wow! the first two tracks will floor you. The dynamic range and the bass is awesome. You will not be sorry.

I knew this was special; but I didn't know it would be this special; Crime of Century by Supertramp (Audio CD - 1990) - Gold CD
2 new from $337.778 used from $69.69 WoW! (the price: new)

Many of the Gold MFSL discs have a price in the high 3 figure area

Someone just posted a WTB ad on Steve Hoffman Forum looking to buy it for $40, now I know why. I doubt if he finds a seller at that price.

I just snagged a used copy of this disc on Amazon from a seller that had listed it in the vinyl listing (he verified that it was indeed the MFSL cd version with photos) for $30.00 :)

Can't wait to give it a spin.

I just snagged a used copy of this disc on Amazon from a seller that had listed it in the vinyl listing (he verified that it was indeed the MFSL cd version with photos) for $30.00 :)

Can't wait to give it a spin.
I just hope you get a copy that plays fine since it is used. Hopefully, it's from a reputable seller.The new copies I found were about $300.00 more then that!

I've always thought Crime would sound fantastic in surround...
My fantasy. And as has been mentioned before, it almost happened. Original producer (and a hero of mine) Ken Scott contacted Supertramp management about doing it, saying it would be "money for old rope" (an English term for "making an easy buck"). Never happened. :(

I've never heard a Crime that I did not like, 2002 remaster included. At this point I'd rather see Supertramp in surround released before any other Pink Floyd.

Wishful

My fantasy. And as has been mentioned before, it almost happened. Original producer (and a hero of mine) Ken Scott contacted Supertramp management about doing it, saying it would be "money for old rope" (an English term for "making an easy buck"). Never happened. :(

Dave, I know it's water way under the bridge at this point, but are there any more details on why it didn't happen if it was such easy money?

:mad:@:

I thought the "money for old rope" comment came from Supertramp management.

Dave, I know it's water way under the bridge at this point, but are there any more details on why it didn't happen if it was such easy money?
If you're a member at SHTV you can look up Ken Scott's posts and see if it's there ( I can't..heehee). I think the idea just went nowhere.

Dave D,

We don't need no stinking badges (membership)
A Google search is your friend.
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=102309&highlight=Crime+Century

Wow, some stuff survives that censorship s*ite.
Ken Scott:
Firstly, thanks to all of you for your kind words.

Next, with regard to keyboards, it was all primarily Bechstein and Wurlitzer. We certainly used a minimal amount of Hammond and maybe a very little Rhodes. I'm really not sure on that one. The Wurlitzer was almost always DI'ed.

With regard to SACD or DVD, I really don't know. After doing Ziggy in 5.1 I contacted 'Tramps manager about the possibility of doing "Crime" in 5.1 and was told that it was already in the works and that it would be, to use an old Brit expression, "money for old rope". I will not give an explanation of that expression, maybe one of the other Brit members of this forum would care to jump in.

Anyway, I've checked every now and again on Amazon and the like, to no avail, and so I suppose it never actually saw the light of day. Such a shame. What a PERFECT record for surroundsound. Oh well.

Cheers.

Cheers!

Back