BluRay Music Video Poll Supertramp - LIVE IN PARIS '79 [Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Supertramp - LIVE IN PARIS '79

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2012 release from the band Supertramp featuring a filmed performance from Paris on their 1979 "Breakfast in America" tour.

(n) :) (y)

R-4571007-1368712417-3517.jpeg.jpg

R-4571007-1368712421-4358.jpeg.jpg

Having seen Roger a couple of months ago or so, it obviously took me back to my Supertramp LPs....My first girlfriend gave me this on LP and wrote something very romantic and sweet on the hype sticker....(Yes, I'll always love you too , MarĂ­a...)
Having been hit over the head with BiA repeatedly, this was a landmark LP when it came out.

This was "HiFi Showroom material"....this is one of the BEST EVER sounding records...I still have the LP and, although it has seen better days, it still plays VG+ (that was when A&M had started using better vinyl..this was not transluscent purple like the later ones ...at least if IIRC)

Quite smart of them to have their live FOH mixer to the studio with them, he did a GREAT job, which I think is what is missing on the BD.

The mixes are very similar, but I STILL prefer the LP one.

BTW, don't bother with the "5.1", it's only audience and reverb in the rears- you're better off streaming the Stereo thru DPL II , or whatever you like (Surround Master?)

We get some extra songs and we DON'T get concert footage from several of them...although the visuals are interesting.

The film itself was very grainy to begin with , so imagine CROPPING from 4:3 to 16:9...but, since there is not a lot to see (especially Rick looking like a madman while singing...reminds me of Donnie Fagen whom I can't TOLERATE watching perform!), it was a very interesting document of the times...funny how "modern" they look, as opposed to those hopelessly "dated" fashions from the late 70's...

Bottom line:
PRO: Great having it on 96/24 and on film. Mixes are a bit drier, but very close to the original, so , good.

CONS: no discrete mix anywhere to be found...

I bought this Blu Ray a couple of years ago and think it is a stellar 10. The 5.1 is excellent for a concert video. Originally I had the double CD when it was first released and was always a favorite, in fact my only, and to this day my favorite Supertramp. Recently I have purchased the available Hi Res Supertramp's.
Anyway, I feel the best thing for me about this BD release is that the video portion connected me with the band and I found it to be a bonus more than the 5.1.

I bought this Blu Ray a couple of years ago and think it is a stellar 10. The 5.1 is excellent for a concert video. Originally I had the double CD when it was first released and was always a favorite, in fact my only, and to this day my favorite Supertramp. Recently I have purchased the available Hi Res Supertramp's.
Anyway, I feel the best thing for me about this BD release is that the video portion connected me with the band and I found it to be a bonus more than the 5.1.
I am replying with a quote of myself. This BD concert video in 5.1 is Supergreat.

I am replying with a quote of myself. This BD concert video in 5.1 is Supergreat.

Agreed, it is a great chance to see Supertramp in their prime and the sound is very clear but it is really only a stereo recording as there's nothing going on in the rears. As you have said it is Supergreat though :)

Maybe my setup is all wrong...could you give me an example of a song where there's an instrument panned to any of the rears?
To me it sounds like ambient (reverb and crowd) on the rears...

I've taken a gamble and ordered the Blu-ray. I bought the vinyl the week it was released and I was so disappointed, it just did nothing for me. Soundwise it was fine but the performance was just so dull I gave up on it after three or four plays. The LP(s) have been up in my attic for twenty plus years, so now let's see if time has changed my opinion. It should be with me early next week..

Maybe my setup is all wrong...could you give me an example of a song where there's an instrument panned to any of the rears?
To me it sounds like ambient (reverb and crowd) on the rears...
There is no example of that, it is as you hear. My only point is that, for me, it was a great 5.1 release because I could hear a better version than my original 2 disc RBCD and the video totally connected me with the band.

There is no example of that, it is as you hear. My only point is that, for me, it was a great 5.1 release because I could hear a better version than my original 2 disc RBCD and the video totally connected me with the band.

Well ...that much is certainly true...a BD at lossless 96/24 is better than an LP, anytime....even if it's only stereo..shame that nobody piped up and went..."you know we could makea WICKED MCH mix out of this...!"

Much better than I remember from the vinyl, most enjoyable. Only minor gripe is the no option for play all on the bonus tracks. An 8 from me.

This is a 10 all the way! Some have said that there's nothing going on in the rears. Au contraire, mon frere. There is some nice percussion and woodwinds and vocals in the rear in addition to the crowd. No double stereo here. This is a GREAT recording and the video quality has been resurrected from the dead. This is a great concert document. If you even halfway like Supertramp, you will love this blu ray.

Well ...that much is certainly true...a BD at lossless 96/24 is better than an LP, anytime....even if it's only stereo..shame that nobody piped up and went..."you know we could makea WICKED MCH mix out of this...!"
Do you often go to live shows and have musicians playing behind you?

For me, dvds or blu-rays of live concerts etc are a quite different thing to an actual live concert experience. I don't have to have a video audio mix attempt to emulate the live experience and so keep the music in front of me. I really enjoy listening to surround music, whether that be a remixed studio album or an imaginatively remixed live concert. So I'm with kap n krunch. :)

BTW, don't bother with the "5.1", it's only audience and reverb in the rears- you're better off streaming the Stereo thru DPL II , or whatever you like (Surround Master?)

We get some extra songs and we DON'T get concert footage from several of them...although the visuals are interesting.

CONS: no discrete mix anywhere to be found...
I think this was down to the limitations of the audio captured alongside the video. The live album was mostly recorded two days earlier and the tapes are clearly in better shape. Go back to the bonus montages: These songs (which weren't filmed) come from the album's multitracks and if I remember correctly, they are much more discrete mixes than the main film.

Since this is a surround forum, I will only rate the surround mix. Love the band, but there is only muted instruments and crowd noise in the rears, I can only give this disc a 6.

Since this is a surround forum, I will only rate the surround mix. Love the band, but there is only muted instruments and crowd noise in the rears, I can only give this disc a 6.
Hey bro,

Nice to see your recent enthusiasm for some classic surround titles.
It's cool if you wish to focus on the surroundiness of what you're voting on. Just be aware that the forum guidelines, in terms of points, out of ten, are:

3 Musical content
3 Sound quality
3 Surround mix
1 Misc/overall package value

Surround mixes really don't stand alone, isolated from all the other aspects of musical appreciation.
So, feel free to branch out a bit!

đź‘Ť

Back