Sure hope no one falls for this one (PF Reel)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The description says it came from a box set with vinyl from Japan. But on the inside is a Capital Records logo. $3000 dollars? They also would not have used Maxel tape. And even if they did, the record company back then would certainly not use the Maxel brand logo on the reel from what I recall. The seller also claims they sold the vinyl box set to a collector. But if this was true and was rare, why wouldn’t you keep everything together to make much more money?

About 10 - 15 years ago, eBay used to be good about removing stuff like this. If eBay is not removing such material, it’s probably because the “Rights” holder needs to contact eBay. This does not mean that the seller or eBay should not be contacted to alert them about the issue.

You can still get the official Box set with Blu-ray for under $100:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wis...+set&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

A primer on reading between the lines I guess. :)

This part especially:
"THE SOUND IS AMAZING! I HEARD INSTRUMENTS THAT I CAN'T HEAR ON THE LP OR CD FROM THIS ALBUM. CRISP AND CLEAR! I THINK THAT HAPPENS BECAUSE, ON THE STEREO SOUND WITH 2 CHANNELS WHEN MANY INSTRUMENTS ARE MIXED, YOU CAN'T HEAR SOME OF THEM VERY WELL, ESPECIALLY THE QUIET ONES. THE QUADROPHONIC SOUND BRINGS UP MORE DETAILED SOUND. "

This person has never heard quad surround and doesn't even understand what it is. (And if they're yelling like that they must be hard of hearing in general!)

Yeah, that rare Japanese box set release from 1975 that combined vinyl and open reel. As was popular to do. Yeah, I'd split something like that up too.

A primer on reading between the lines I guess. :)

This part especially:
"THE SOUND IS AMAZING! I HEARD INSTRUMENTS THAT I CAN'T HEAR ON THE LP OR CD FROM THIS ALBUM. CRISP AND CLEAR! I THINK THAT HAPPENS BECAUSE, ON THE STEREO SOUND WITH 2 CHANNELS WHEN MANY INSTRUMENTS ARE MIXED, YOU CAN'T HEAR SOME OF THEM VERY WELL, ESPECIALLY THE QUIET ONES. THE QUADROPHONIC SOUND BRINGS UP MORE DETAILED SOUND. "

This person has never heard quad surround and doesn't even understand what it is. (And if they're yelling like that they must be hard of hearing in general!)

Yeah, that rare Japanese box set release from 1975 that combined vinyl and open reel. As was popular to do. Yeah, I'd split something like that up too.

What? Don't you have a closet full of those rare box sets with Quadradiscs and Q4's? As I recall, that was the preferred way to buy collectors sets, even though most collectors bought the box set with the Quadradisc and Q8 because it was considerably cheaper.

It screams "fake" at every turn. Besides the Maxell reel, the box is Capitol/Audiotape brand. Who knows what the tape itself really is. Maxell? maybe. Capitol bought Audio Devices (Audiotape/Audiopak) in the early 70's, so the box is "period."

"The" Pink Floyd. No date "p" inside circle. In 1975, really?

Lord only knows what's on that tape. I'd bet it is "Wish." Did he create a new mix from Guthrie's mix? Or, is it an SQ decode? From the Q8?

The possibilities are endless! Caveat Emptor.

I used many of those Capital R2R blank tapes back when I did most of my recording on tape. It is/was good quality and the ones I have still sound good. But it wasn't Maxell tape and Old Quad Guy is correct that no record label would have used a brand name on the reel unless unless they farmed out to whole manufacturing of that particular format as some did with Ampex. The first thing I noticed was what Linda said - "The Pink Floyd" - the group would have demanded a recall. Oh, and the fact this title was never released on quad R2R....

What? Don't you have a closet full of those rare box sets with Quadradiscs and Q4's?

I split them all up and sold the Q4's. Was that a bad call? :D

It screams "fake" at every turn.

It's kind of impressive just how many points they nailed there!

I think some people play the numbers on Ebay. Post a ringer just in case some oil baron's kid happens by to make an impulse purchase. I was just looking up Macbook pro batteries and there's always one for $3000 stuck in the middle of the rest of them ($20 - $120).

Last edited:
Not difficult to guess the sellers age and/or experience with records: "IT WAS IN A SET WITH A VINYL".

"a vinyl"? "A VINYL"? A vinyl what?

At least we know it wasn't IN A SET WITH A POLYCARBONATE.

Not difficult to guess the sellers age and/or experience with records: "IT WAS IN A SET WITH A VINYL".

This seems to be the modern vernacular for an LP, record or disc as I read it more and more. They're replaced a noun with an adjective.

This seems to be the modern vernacular for an LP, record or disc as I read it more and more. They're replaced a noun with an adjective.

Here is a lesson on proper English from Truman Capote:

I have occasionally had a prerecorded R2R reel fail (usually by warping or a crack) and replaced the reel. The original printing on the reel was no longer with the tape. I usually made a paper label and put it on the new reel. Of course, I had no idea of reselling the tape.

Also, occasionally (when more than one person was using the same tape machine) the tape would end up on the wrong reel and sometimes tail out. Often someone wanted to play a tape and would find the machine had shut itself off after the tape had run out after a previous play. Instead of checking the reels to determine which one belonged to the tape, he took off the full reel and put it in the empty box, and used the empty reel for the take-up reel for what he wanted to play. I finally got sick of this and made a special take up reel from a clear reel by adding a rainbow pattern with permanent magic markers. A sign told everyone that the rainbow colored reel stays with the machine.

So it is quite possible that a tape offered for sale is not on the original reel.

The phonogram symbol (circled P) first appeared on US records on 2/15/1972.

Back