Surround Albums to AVOID!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But were you familiar with the stereo mix beforehand?

Sorry but I like this mix so much I can't take this discussion seriously on an "albums to AVOID" thread. Please don't tell me every little thing you don't like about it compared to the stereo mix. I really don't care. Don't take it personally, but over analyzing something that is great has zero upside from my perspective.

Sorry but I like this mix so much I can't take this discussion seriously on an "albums to AVOID" thread. Please don't tell me every little thing you don't like about it compared to the stereo mix. I really don't care. Don't take it personally, but over analyzing something that is great has zero upside from my perspective.
This thread is about opinions, I would not recommend that mix to anybody! Even the CD's included in the set are useless they are all brickwall limited and unlistenable, while the original CD's sound fine! Obviously others have a different opinion (which they and you are entitled to).

Some don't like the Santana Quad mix due to lack of punch but personally I love that mix! But they are each entitled to their own opinion!

This thread is about opinions, I would not recommend that mix to anybody! Even the CD's included in the set are useless they are all brickwall limited and unlistenable, while the original CD's sound fine! Obviously others have a different opinion (which they and you are entitled to).

Some don't like the Santana Quad mix due to lack of punch but personally I love that mix! But they are each entitled to their own opinion!

I think the Santana is great too...

Interesting that no one has discussed releases from a great emo rock band Mineral and Gloria Record issued by Silverline. Not a great mix on it but I just love the plaintiff rock. Still if you don't like the band avoid, if you do, its the best from them.

This is pretty rough sledding (fidelity only). Wasn't familiar with this at all prior to spinning it, and I know this is an old recording to begin with so the expectations can only be so high... but not only does there not seem to be any reason to recommend this disc for its (lack of) surround treatment, right from the first song there's audible tape wow and flutter that's pretty hard to put out mind... I can't find it streaming anywhere to compare but I have a hard time imagining the stereo version being anything but better. This strikes me as having some of the same issues as the Colosseum disc even without an A/B test.

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 1.07.04 PM.png

Opeth - Sorceress - DVD-V: Worst surround mix I've ever heard. AC3 and something on surround, center, lfe I can't distinguish from the front speakers. And the incredible bad sounding dolby digital. This mix must be an accident. It's probably an upmix.

The stereo version streamed from Spotify sounds better than that surround mix. That's quite an achievement.

Back