Surround Albums to AVOID!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking the same thing. But then I came across the Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band 5.1's. Unbelievably, I never noticed...or maybe I just forgot...that these two fantastic sounding discs are SILVERLINE titles.
Silverline have some true winners! They're just so hit and miss.

I know that many will disagree but my choice of surround album to avoid is "Roxy Music". Everything that I love about the stereo mix is buried in the surround mix. I wanted to love it, I forced myself to listen to it a number of different times and my opinion didn't change. Lack of punch is an understatement.

I know that many will disagree but my choice of surround album to avoid is "Roxy Music". Everything that I love about the stereo mix is buried in the surround mix. I wanted to love it, I forced myself to listen to it a number of different times and my opinion didn't change. Lack of punch is an understatement.

Wow, that’s fascinating! I haven’t listened to it yet, and not being super familiar with the stereo mix I wonder how it’ll hit me... but I know that feeling you’re describing, for sure. Been there!

I need to get that one queued up soon...

Which Roxy Music album are you referring to? Certainly not Avalon as that is one of the best 5.1 surround mixes I have ever heard IMHO.

Opeth - Sorceress - DVD-V: Worst surround mix I've ever heard. AC3 and something on surround, center, lfe I can't distinguish from the front speakers. And the incredible bad sounding dolby digital. This mix must be an accident. It's probably an upmix.
Made a penteo upmix from CD that is 100 times better. Album itself is good.

Santana - Abraxas - DTS-CD: 2nd worst so far for me. Guitar sound is often so bad. I don't like the mix. But a great album as well.

Disappointing, yes. But to be avoided? I'm still glad to have it, despite it being such a lost opportunity.
I think there's two very different threads running alongside eachother here, and I think some clarity would be helpful. There's "surround mixes which are so bad they're worse than the CD," and there's "surround mixes that aren't all they could have been." I personally think this thread has been more the latter, especially with people saying "I love X album but the surround mix wasn't all I'd hoped for." I think Moving Pictures is a great example - it's a competent surround mix that opens things up nicely. It isn't all it could be but as a casual Rush fan I'm glad to have it.

Disappointing, yes. But to be avoided? I'm still glad to have it, despite it being such a lost opportunity.

The "music" and stereo mix is excellent - The surround version isnt very good
The price of the second hand blu-ray/dvd doesnt merrit the purchase price - hence avoid

Back