Surround Headphones: Where Are We Today ... Really?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holland123

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Does anyone here have any experience with either the; Sony HW700DS surround processing headphones or the Sennheiser RS 170/175 surround headphones. I would love to get something like this if they provide enjoyable surround and sonic listening and, yes I know the Smyth - Realiser is supposed to be the best out there but I can't spend $3,000 for the 8's or $1500 for the 16's due out in 2017, (my old lady would quite rightly shoot me).

So has anyone tried either of these phones and if so what did/do yours ears have to say??

I heard some Sony surround sound headphones at the AIX stand at a recent audio show. I don't recall the model number. They were not effective at producing any directional cues.

dts Headphone
dts Headphone:X (simulates 12 -- yes 12 channels)
Dolby Headphone
Dolby Atmos for Headphones

Does any of this shit work?
Not just at the CES demo booth, but in real life?
Not just for laser guns and explosions, but real 5.1 music?

If so, what do I have to buy?
Unacceptable answers include "a new receiver" and "new headphones".

PowerDVD simulates Dolby headphones using a DLL that is provided by Dolby. Foobar2000 can also use this library with the appropriate plugin.

dts Headphone
Dolby Headphone

Also, Smyth Realiser A8 and A16 as well as a new product from Dirac Research.

dts Headphone
Dolby Headphone

Short answer is no.

You're asking the right questions.
It DOES work for movies, games, etc where the content is obvious and even at a startling level of realism sometimes. But for dense music surround mixes and where you are looking for audiophile level of accuracy with a system, then no.

Nor can you create a stereo image that conveys surround content without cheating. There are a couple ambiguous spots where we can't discern front from behind purely from the stereo image we hear (with all the reflection cues our perception uses). You need to turn your head a little for it to snap into front vs. rear focus. Can't do that with headphones! Those recordings you hear with the fly buzzing around your head or the keys rattling around your head? They cheat by adding reverb to give you the perceptual cues you need. Can't very well start adding reverb to music mixes to do that without making mud so - the short answer is this truly doesn't work and never will be possible (with a stereo image)*.

The gamer headphones with multiple speaker drivers in them have a literal 5.1 speaker array in the headphones. Problem is these are crude. Great for movies or games but far too crude for music.

* I have read about the concept for motion detection headphones that would read your head motion and "work" the surround content into the stereo image as you turn your head from side to side. Not sure where this is at yet but I feel safe to guess nowhere near audiophile music system standards.

Back