Surround Master V3 has landed (news, discounts etc)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First complaint we have had that our lights are not bright enough!!!!!!

Ha :ROFLMAO: Was not a complaint.

It was actually my fault. It was clipping very little only when the artifacts ocurring and the red LED intensity (proportional to clipping level or duration) was minimal.

As a future enhancement, If the peak level of clipping was memorized and the red LED was kept lit until a reset is done, It would asure some clipping has already occured :)

Also, as I'm now in a testing and tuning phase, I miss a remote for all the controls ;)

It was actually my fault. It was clipping very little only when the artifacts ocurring and the red LED intensity (proportional to clipping level or duration) was minimal.

As a future enhancement, If the peak level of clipping was memorized and the red LED was kept lit until a reset is done, It would asure some clipping has already occured :)

Also, as I'm now in a testing and tuning phase, I miss a remote for all the controls ;)
Many members here call it "the blue eyed monster"

Last edited:

Perhaps the LED should be set to come on shortly before any clipping actually occurs and also the duration that the LED stays on should be increased?

The LED right light alert seems to me is strictly an after the fact feature. Since the SM can’t have anyway to know what it’s about to be feed. Don’t think we’ll ever get Precog Mode (Minority Report Style) alerts.

And another issue is; it can be just a few instances, say off an album mostly of few really dynamically hot spots. It’s a problem for setting up my conversions of material, just a couple spots set too hot, and the main (or maybe Oppo) input Vol. has to be dropped back and the rip started over.

The LED right light alert seems to me is strictly an after the fact feature. Since the SM can’t have anyway to know what it’s about to be feed. Don’t think we’ll ever get Precog Mode (Minority Report Style) alerts.
Perhaps the LED should be set to come on shortly before any clipping actually occurs
I think he meant in voltage terms not temporal!

Hi @chucky3042,

I’m planning for the remote ON/OFF of the Surround Master V3, using an external WI-FI switch to provide the external AC power.

The Surround Master ON/OFF button would be always pressed (connected). I would provide or cut the AC power with the external WI-FI relay.

Is there any problem in this operation? Would this affect or disturb the right startup of the Surround Master with its internal relay sequence?

Hi @chucky3042,

I’m planning for the remote ON/OFF of the Surround Master V3, using an external WI-FI switch to provide the external AC power.

The Surround Master ON/OFF button would be always pressed (connected). I would provide or cut the AC power with the external WI-FI relay.

Is there any problem in this operation? Would this affect or disturb the right startup of the Surround Master with its internal relay sequence?

I use my SM V3 that way. I have it plugged into a switched outlet of my Furman Elite 15 PFi power conditioner and use the trigger output of my preamp
to power up my entire system.

Hi @chucky3042,

All good

I want to use the Surround Master V3 for sources other than music CD’s.

I plan to use the Vertex2 HDMI Audio Output, and then I need a Converter from HDMI to audio stereo.

What alternative would be better: HDMI to RCA or HDMI to Optical Toslink?

If connected both inputs Optical and RCA what does Surround Master do? Does it mix both inputs? Does it sense and take priority one of them?

Is there any difference in sound quality or performance between HDMI to toslink or HDMI to RCA converters? Other than sound quality could be restrictions on special format conversions, PCM, DD, DD+, etc.?

EDITED:
I answer myself. The majority of converters I find, have both outputs, optical and RCA. Even some have also splitter for HDMI/audio/video, So just to chose one and test both connections.

Last edited:
I want to use the Surround Master V3 for sources other than music CD’s.

What alternative would be better: HDMI to RCA or HDMI to Optical Toslink?

In theory HDMI to Toslink should be better.

If instead, you convert your HDMI source to analogue (RCA) the first thing the SM has to do is convert it back to digital (!) so that’s an entirely unnecessary D/A – A/D conversion step you can avoid.

Whether you can actually hear any difference is however an entirely different matter.

I continue enjoying and testing the Surround Master V3.

The best I enjoy is Involve 4.1 Mode, as everyone says.

But curious about the SQ Mode, I’ve been listening today a vinyl rip from ‘Caravanserai US Quadraphonic SQ’ and selecting the SQ 4.1 Mode gives a more discrete and pleasant listening (more ‘Quad’ style) than the Involve 4.1 Mode that seems more like an AVR upmix. This is to be expected as the source was SQ matrixed.

But I’m curious about Why, in general, the volume level in SQ Mode is lower than the Involve Mode. No problem as I can adjust the AVR Master Volume.

But just curious: Is that volume level difference intended for any reason? Is it something related to the supposed Phono MC source level after any phono pre-amp?

I continue enjoying and testing the Surround Master V3.

The best I enjoy is Involve 4.1 Mode, as everyone says.

But curious about the SQ Mode, I’ve been listening today a vinyl rip from ‘Caravanserai US Quadraphonic SQ’ and selecting the SQ 4.1 Mode gives a more discrete and pleasant listening (more ‘Quad’ style) than the Involve 4.1 Mode that seems more like an AVR upmix. This is to be expected as the source was SQ matrixed.

But I’m curious about Why, in general, the volume level in SQ Mode is lower than the Involve Mode. No problem as I can adjust the AVR Master Volume.

But just curious: Is that volume level difference intended for any reason? Is it something related to the supposed Phono MC source level after any phono pre-amp?
Re Volume discrepancy, I chatted to Dave the bitch on the matter and he said:

Funnily enough, the Involve encode of Money played back through Involve is much quieter than the SQ track I use for testing, which RustiAndI put on the CD for us - they're not inherently quieter or louder than each other, it's very much the source and setup of the user. Pretty sure they don't appreciably change the input:eek:utput on either, can't account for every user set up though.

Back