Surround Master V3 has landed (news, discounts etc)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all. I discovered this forum a few weeks ago and have been trying to read most of the posts re the Surround Master V3, going back to V1. I think I'm about to take the big jump and purchase an SM3.

Since the early 90s, I've owned, used and have been very satisfied with the sound from a Fosgate Audionics DSL 2 Surround Sound Decoder. It had (for its time) an extremely sophisticated de-matrix channel steering capability that for pre-DolbyDigital 5.1 gave one of the best home surround-sound experiences you could then have for both movies and music. (Jim Fosgate actually developed the original ProLogic 2 codec and steering logic for Dolby Labs but his private label's units had much more sophisticated steering logic which really increased the apparent separation between channels and significantly improved the LtRt* experience. Although discreet 5.1 DolbyDigital which obsoleted matrix surround was only a few years behind, I continued to use the Fosgate unit almost exclusively for "decoding" standard stereo music recordings thru the various music decode functions. These unit were constructed for the most part, from pretty quiet discrete components and when properly adjusted, create a very satisfying surround music experience. I really have actually been very happy listening to music through this unit for nearly 30 years now. The improvement in the listening experience are significant. Its sometimes actually difficult to listen to recordings in just 2-trk stereo. It feels like something is missing. Unfortunately, some component(s) in the Fosgate have starting to fail creating significant audio distortion. I have no clue whether or not there's anybody that can repair it because it's so old, so I figure it's time to modernize into the 2020s. The Surround Mater V3 sounds like just the solution I need.

After reading what I've found both here on the forums and on the Involve Audio website, there is one relatively minor issue I've been "concerned" about. Even as far back in 1992 when I purchased the Fosgate, the unit came with a wireless remote. to set up channel levels and tweak decoding parameters accurately generally requires that your measurements and setup adjustments be done from the listening position. From what I can seem the Surround Masters (1, 2 & 3) have all parameter adjustments on the front of the box. Is it recommended that I obtain 8, 25ft long RCA cable so I can place the SM3 next to my seat? Or are there any setup tricks I need to know so I can install the SM3 within my audio rack where it probably should be, 'cause I really don't look forward to running back and forth between the couch and the audio system to adjust the setup every time I change sources.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Encouragements?

*LtRt - "Left total Right total." The studio jargon for a 2-track multi-channel matrixed soundtrack.
I would run the 5.1 channel printmasters through a Dolby DP563 ProLogic II encoder to create a 2-Channel stereo compatible track (LtRt) for across the board compatibility on all release mediums, broadcast, DVD, Blu-ray, streaming etc. This 2-Trk matrixed "mix" is always shipped along with any other audio formats, 5.1, 7.1, Atmos etc.
You need a confederate to turn the knobs.

After reading what I've found both here on the forums and on the Involve Audio website, there is one relatively minor issue I've been "concerned" about. Even as far back in 1992 when I purchased the Fosgate, the unit came with a wireless remote. to set up channel levels and tweak decoding parameters accurately generally requires that your measurements and setup adjustments be done from the listening position. From what I can seem the Surround Masters (1, 2 & 3) have all parameter adjustments on the front of the box. Is it recommended that I obtain 8, 25ft long RCA cable so I can place the SM3 next to my seat? Or are there any setup tricks I need to know so I can install the SM3 within my audio rack where it probably should be, 'cause I really don't look forward to running back and forth between the couch and the audio system to adjust the setup every time I change sources.
Yes as others have already stated there are no adjustments on the SM, just mode (SQ/Involve) settings.

Myself and Sonic have been clamouring for the inclusion of a pre-synth or phase balance circuit to be added to the unit. With such a device the decoder will function as the vintage Sansui units do with surround/QS/hall modes, fully adjustable just by tweaking a single knob. DIYers would have no trouble building their own add on circuit.

Most here are fully satisfied with the performance of the unit as is. Myself I like the sound (of stereo) to be fully stretched across the four speakers. I have never really cared for stereo played via pure QS.

Dear all

I am hoping we will have stock on the SM3 in 2 weeks time, we are still waiting for the circuit boards that should come later this week.

As a reminder our QQ discount codes are:

Coupons:

QQ forum $50 coupon: smv3qq21
Upgrade $100 coupon: sm2ug2k21 BUT Dave needs your email address so he can authorise the email with this coupon, or it won't work.
Email in Dave's inbox now :)

And on technical note: what images can you flash into the bare evaluation PWB?

( it's going to be integrated into either my SQD 2020 or my Pioneer decoder... )

Email in Dave's inbox now :)

And on technical note: what images can you flash into the bare evaluation PWB?

( it's going to be integrated into either my SQD 2020 or my Pioneer decoder... )
Hi Elvi

Please see attached some info on the evaluation modules

Attachments

• Involve Encode Evaluation Manual 1.1.pdf
    433.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Involve Decode Evaluation 5.1 upgrade manual.pdf
    463.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Involve evaluation module press release_V1.4(1).pdf
    725.5 KB · Views: 0
The preamp is being designed to be fully compatible to the SM. All SM's are programmed with the vinyl software.

I am buying the preamp and amplifier when they are available
I have a Marantz receiver that has only one set of surroound analog inputs which I am using for my Bose 4401 preamp with sq and CD-4 decoders built in. How could I integrate the surround master into the system? Most of my collection is CD-4 with some SQ, and no QS.
The Bose does have two sets of 4 ch tape inputs, but that would mean the surround master signal is going thru the Bose preamp which does not seem ideal. Will the new preamp do CD-4?

I have a Marantz receiver that has only one set of surroound analog inputs which I am using for my Bose 4401 preamp with sq and CD-4 decoders built in. How could I integrate the surround master into the system? Most of my collection is CD-4 with some SQ, and no QS.
The Bose does have two sets of 4 ch tape inputs, but that would mean the surround master signal is going thru the Bose preamp which does not seem ideal. Will the new preamp do CD-4?
The Zektor switch boxes are poplar around here for expanding MCH inputs. But you can also use two stereo switch boxes too. Poke around here a bit:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...mponent-video-audio-switch.32671/#post-638230

This thread shows something that may be of help:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/zektor-hds4-ic-component-video-audio-switch.32671/
See @Sonik Wiz 's post #4 in that thread.

The switch is available on eBay.

The Zektor switch boxes are poplar around here for expanding MCH inputs. But you can also use two stereo switch boxes too. Poke around here a bit:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...mponent-video-audio-switch.32671/#post-638230

This thread shows something that may be of help:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/zektor-hds4-ic-component-video-audio-switch.32671/
See @Sonik Wiz 's post #4 in that thread.

The switch is available on eBay.

Now I'm worried, Wiz. You and I both posted the same exact thing, on the same exact day, at the same exact hour and at the same exact minute.
o_Oo_Oo_O

Now I'm worried, Wiz. You and I both posted the same exact thing, on the same exact day, at the same exact hour and at the same exact minute.
o_Oo_Oo_O
It didn't concern me.... until now. I probably wont be able to sleep tonight pondering the implications.
The first case of multi-atom Quantum Entanglement!

Note this about pre-amps:

- Most line-level inputs don't do anything to the sound except pass it through the tone controls or equalizer and the volume control.

= Phono and tape head inputs get the most processing, as the signals have to have the de-emphasis equalization to compensate for pre-emphasis put in the recording to make the medium work.

- CD-4 requires even more processing - demodulation, de-emphasis, and matrixing.

You might be correct:
https://newatlas.com/telecommunications/quantum-entanglement-atoms-distance-record/
But I am much more familiar with a quantity of multi-channel wire entanglement.
I'll bet you that once they get it up and running, I'll still have problems trying to stream ATMOS on it; and it will still be lossy ATMOS over the streaming services. :ROFLMAO:
To quote part of the line from "Marmion" by the great Sir Walter Scott (who must have foreseen the Internet and Quantum Entanglement) "Oh what a tangled web we weave" and it ends with "when at first we start to deceive" which probably sums up most of what is on the internet.... apart from this hallowed site of course!

Surely no-one has made a pre-amp with a "tape head" input since the 1960's?

Certainly you are right. But I think the real point is whether it's a pre-amp with tape head input or conventional cassette/R2R unit with line output, the signal must under go reverse EQ put in at recording.
And add in Dolby/dbx sliding bias etc Whew! Makes me glad for digital!

Not a case of harmonic convergence?

Let me also ask this question: Has anyone ever seen or photographed Sonik Wiz and ar surround together? 🤔
Actually, yes! This was taken a few years ago when our harmonica's converged for a performance at The Restaurant at the End of the Universe:

1658951478223.png

Turned out to be a pretty hot meme on Frogstar World B.

Back