Surround Master V3 has landed (news, discounts etc)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

barfle

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I have some iTunes downloads (AAC) that I prefer to the CD versions. These particular iTunes songs simply sound cleaner.
I can’t argue with your statement. I have a few fecordings in multiple formats, and Imdefinitely prefer some over others myself. Cleaner sound is often my descriprption as well, but I couldn’t tell you if someone meddling with the signal somewhere in the production chain made the effect happen, if I used a different DAC, or if I was just in a better mood.

MidiMagic

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
If I were a recording engineer, I would probably use 24/96 as my baseline, because the dynamic range allows for considerable manipulation in the mix. But as far as distribution is concerned, red book CDs work perfectly well for stereo.

Oh, and many of us quadheads already accept the limitations that come with trying to put 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag. A record groove needs a lot of manipulation to hold four channels of audio, particularly given the size of vinyl molecules.

Chucky, thanks for the excellent technical article. I hope those who need it most didn’t go the TL:DR route.
The record groove works just fine for matrix. It sounds fine for me now.

If I can ever get a Surround Master, it might sound better.

~dave~~wave~

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter

ClassicalSurroundFan

I’m planning a project to archive rare classical SQ and QS recordings as rendered by the SM3 in the best way with modest home studio equipment. What I would like to do (if it is best) is keep the original L/R digitizations that I made, then reamp the SM3 render of the surrounds (fed to its digital input) and add them to the 2 channel original in GarageBand or similar to make 4 channel PCM files. I want to avoid the loss associated with reamping the front channel output of the SM3 and use my original stereo digitization for those.

My basic question is, is the SM3 output of the front channels in SQ or QS mode critically different than the input in some way, or is it essentially a passthrough? Is audible audio information removed (or added!) from the front channels in the surround render? This question is maybe more about SQ/QS technologies in general. Of course, I could try both ways and listen, but the theoretical answer might help me better understand the formats.

Anything else I should consider would be appreciated.

chucky3042

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I’m planning a project to archive rare classical SQ and QS recordings as rendered by the SM3 in the best way with modest home studio equipment. What I would like to do (if it is best) is keep the original L/R digitizations that I made, then reamp the SM3 render of the surrounds (fed to its digital input) and add them to the 2 channel original in GarageBand or similar to make 4 channel PCM files. I want to avoid the loss associated with reamping the front channel output of the SM3 and use my original stereo digitization for those.

My basic question is, is the SM3 output of the front channels in SQ or QS mode critically different than the input in some way, or is it essentially a passthrough? Is audible audio information removed (or added!) from the front channels in the surround render? This question is maybe more about SQ/QS technologies in general. Of course, I could try both ways and listen, but the theoretical answer might help me better understand the formats.

Anything else I should consider would be appreciated.
Hi
The decoded fronts are can really be quite different to the original "vanilla" L and R source signals if there is surround content contained. The rear directed information is effectively removed by up to 40dB from the fronts. For example if the audience is applauding most of it will come out of the rears and only a bit will be in the fronts. If there is no surround content then the fronts will be identical to the original source stereo,

ClassicalSurroundFan

Thanks Chucky! While I have your ear, can the decoder itself work at 96k 20bit if a 96k 20bit signal is input? Would save me a little space to know otherwise.

ClassicalSurroundFan

But in terms of D-A conversion, is that done at 48k? Would the output be the same if the digital input were 96k20b or 48k16b for example? Sorry I'm not sure what was meant by processing.