Surround Master V3 has landed (news, discounts etc)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm probably the only nut around here who gets so excited about a new piece, that I go through a crazy, cables and components everywhere type phase while I sit and savior the music and test everything out....

View attachment 74398

Are you using a pair of Sansui amps for the front & back stereo pairs?

I have almost the same setup: with a tuner between them so they can stack on top of one another & have cable room. You may not need that case/want to keep good airflow behind the amps? The cooling fins are back there.

I bet that George Clinton stuff sounds outta sight, in quad!

Last edited:
Are you using a pair of Sansui amps for the front & back stereo pairs?

I have almost the same setup: with a tuner between them so they can stack on top of one another & have cable room. You may not need that case/want to keep good airflow behind the amps? The cooling fins are back there.

I bet that George Clinton stuff sounds outta sight, in quad!
I am! Two Sansui AU-5500's. I have used a 9001, 7001, and Marantz 4140. I got the QSD-1 recently and figured I would try it with the two amps. I really like it. It sounds really nice, and I like have the ability to go from source, to Deck 1 (QSD-1) and now to Deck 2 (SMv3). Having volume control for front and back at your fingertips, as well as your choice of input, is a plus for me.

I used that wood shelf to have a place for the QSD-1 until I find a better configuration for things....not my first choice, but a good interim fix. It keeps things front and center rather than in a cabinet.

The Mothership Connection was the maiden voyage for the SMv3....and yes, it sounded pretty funk'n nice!

I have a very basic question. I'm thinking about purchasing one of these. Question: I understand I can run my turntable to preamp to RCA inputs into the SurroundMaster, and then the RCA outputs to my AV receiver for 4.0 or 5.1 sound. And that's probably enough for me, but I see a lot of commentary about folks playing SACD through the SurroundMaster. If I play an SACD on a UHD, there would be no reason to pass that through the Surroundmaster via optical, and then out to the receiver, right? Because the UHD player directly to the AV receiver by HDMI is already decoding and processing the SACD?

I have a very basic question. I'm thinking about purchasing one of these. Question: I understand I can run my turntable to preamp to RCA inputs into the SurroundMaster, and then the RCA outputs to my AV receiver for 4.0 or 5.1 sound. And that's probably enough for me, but I see a lot of commentary about folks playing SACD through the SurroundMaster. If I play an SACD on a UHD, there would be no reason to pass that through the Surroundmaster via optical, and then out to the receiver, right? Because the UHD player directly to the AV receiver by HDMI is already decoding and processing the SACD?
Correct

Many SACD's are stereo only, not MCH. If the UHD disc spinner plugs into the AVR by HDMI you can only decode/playback that stereo by what is in the receiver. And stereo to surround is probably not as good as what the Surround Master offers.

Many SACD's are stereo only, not MCH. If the UHD disc spinner plugs into the AVR by HDMI you can only decode/playback that stereo by what is in the receiver. And stereo to surround is probably not as good as what the Surround Master offers.

Of course. Every time I try to standardize and simplify my pile of wires and components ... the audio formats resist.

Lack of a digital out is a deal killer for me for this device. Preferably HDMI (which can pass 5.1 PCM or DD/DTS, along with other formats) or even optical (DD/DTS bitstreams). Some of us live in 2021 where applying digital roomEQ is very important. 5.1 analog preamp inputs are virtually nonexistent in modern AVRs.

My current amp has 5.1 analogue inputs for my Oppo 95, but I'm trying to replace the amp. I'm having enough trouble meeting all my requirements without adding multichannel analogue inputs. I've had to reluctantly accept that future audio input is stereo or HDMI.

HDMI has been able to pass essentially all audio modern formats since 2006. Upgrades since have been lopsidedly on the video side.

Involve is working on those little modular pre & power amps. I wonder how versatile it could be, to use them in conjunction with a modern receiver, as well as the SM?

Or just add channels to an existing setup.

Lack of a digital out is a deal killer for me for this device. Preferably HDMI (which can pass 5.1 PCM or DD/DTS, along with other formats) or even optical (DD/DTS bitstreams). Some of us live in 2021 where applying digital roomEQ is very important. 5.1 analog preamp inputs are virtually nonexistent in modern AVRs.
But are you willing to pay whatever extra it would cost to include an appropriate A to D converter, as well as for an appropriate encoder, and the licensing fee for that encoder? That would add quite a lot to the base price of the SM. Involve have a preamp coming out that can solve your dilemma (maybe); Chucky could fill us in on what information is available.

Back