Surround Master V3 has landed (news, discounts etc)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

himey

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Congrats, Mike. Looking forward to your assessment of Chucky/Involve's SM V.3 with much anticipation. If you have any of those Dolby Surround CDs, a great place to start.

Life in Surround will never be the same ........Just More INVOLVING, IMO!
Using this for a digital source is a fair comparison? Doesn't this device handle all the analog sources and let the digital stuff use Dolby processing or even DTS Neo 6 in an Oppo?

jaybird100

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Using this for a digital source is a fair comparison? Doesn't this device handle all the analog sources and let the digital stuff use Dolby processing or even DTS Neo 6 in an Oppo?
The SM blows away either Dolby PL2 or DTS: Neo6 at enhancing any 2 channel source, analog or digital, into a surround experience. I've played Dolby Surround CD's through the SM, and they sound excellent. Don't knock it 'til you try it!

himey

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
The SM blows away either Dolby PL2 or DTS: Neo6 at enhancing any 2 channel source, analog or digital, into a surround experience. I've played Dolby Surround CD's through the SM, and they sound excellent. Don't knock it 'til you try it!
Who knocked it? Jesus, ask a simple question.
With a response like that I won't expect to get a measured, true, unbiased opinion.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Who knocked it? Jesus, ask a simple question.
With a response like that I won't expect to get a measured, true, unbiased opinion.
His response came across as quite reasonable, to me...
The point is, there are those who claim the Involve Audio decoder works better than Dolby or DTS, whether the source is analog or digital.
If that's true, it would make sense (to me) to use it instead.

himey

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
His response came across as quite reasonable, to me...
The point is, there are those who claim the Involve Audio decoder works better than Dolby or DTS, whether the source is analog or digital.
If that's true, it would make sense (to me) to use it instead.
According to him it "blows every other device away, analog or digital".

That sounds biased, which is fine. It happens. I just ignore internet hype.

I wasn't knocking it. It was an honest question. Hopefully you will give a more measured evaluation over time.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
According to him it "blows every other device away, analog or digital".

That sounds biased, which is fine. It happens. I just ignore internet hype.

I wasn't knocking it. It was an honest question. Hopefully you will give a more measured evaluation over time.
As always, an honest opinion is my goal. Ignoring hype is a good thing.

himey

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
As always, an honest opinion is my goal. Ignoring hype is a good thing.
My original question was directed at the Dolby CD comment. On paper, a Dolby decoder in the digital domain should sound better than converting to analog and then manipulating the signal. I think my question is a fair one.

par4ken

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
My original question was directed at the Dolby CD comment. On paper, a Dolby decoder in the digital domain should sound better than converting to analog and then manipulating the signal. I think my question is a fair one.
Sound quality wise it should be better to keep digital, digital as you say. I think that jaybird's reply has more to do about the "surround effect" produced by Involve vs the other decoders.

himey

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Sound quality wise it should be better to keep digital, digital as you say. I think that jaybird's reply has more to do about the "surround effect" produced by Involve vs the other decoders.
I have been streaming sports lately rather than firing up my TiVo. The negative is that I only get stereo. I began using the Neo 6 upmixer in the Oppo with very good results. The "surround effect" is better than expected and in the digital domain the sound quality is really good. I am going off topic now so I will stop. Looking forward to Baggy impressions with his new unit.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
On the point of sound quality, none of the Dolby Surround CDs I've tried, through PLII for sure, and also the newer Dolby Surround, if memory serves, sounded all that good...

himey

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
On the point of sound quality, none of the Dolby Surround CDs I've tried, through PLII for sure, and also the newer Dolby Surround, if memory serves, sounded all that good...
Don't listen to Yello-Point or Kraftwerk-3D before testing...all results will skewed! :)

JohnA

There you have it!
I knew there is black magic involved in this thing.

How else can you explain how stereo recordings from the 60s and 70s sound like fully discreet surround remixes?
Supernatural.

Talking of spirits, was listening yesterday to the SACD of Spirit's first album. Wow. As good as the 12 dreams of Dr Sardonicus.
(Let's face it: he wasn't really a doctor, and they were just dreams)

chucky3042

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
There you have it!
I knew there is black magic involved in this thing.

How else can you explain how stereo recordings from the 60s and 70s sound like fully discreet surround remixes?
Supernatural.

Talking of spirits, was listening yesterday to the SACD of Spirit's first album. Wow. As good as the 12 dreams of Dr Sardonicus.
(Let's face it: he wasn't really a doctor, and they were just dreams)
You have no idea how many goats we had to sacrifice to create this black magic

Ianf

Just taken delivery of V3 and it’s excellent, the old SQ demo disc I have with David Frost is thrown into all the right spaces, Miles Davis Witches Brew is stunning, pretty good on my UHJ CDs in Involve mode, migh actually get some QS stuff and try it .