Surround Master V3 has landed (news, discounts etc)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Surround Master V3 arrived yesterday. Excellent product! Now spinning a selection of my favourite SQ and QS discs to test channel placement and 4.0 separation. The 4.1 subwoofer output is a great feature. More details soon.
How long did it take to get to you from Australia to Canada?

oh heck just noticed wahhhh - first post here on the QQ -Welcome in Kyle!!!

How long did it take to get to you from Australia to Canada?

oh heck just noticed wahhhh - first post here on the QQ -Welcome in Kyle!!!
Thanks J. Pupster for the greetings. I have been reading QQ posts for quite some time, and recently signed up as a member. I have been a certified quad sound fan since 1974. For my V3, the tracking log shows that the package was posted in Australia on November 15, and the package arrived on my doorstep November 28. Not bad!

That was of course a joke. I have more than enough caffeine.
Entheogen Dave - calculating SMv3 postage to foreign lands

DAVE.gif

Now that v3 is here;

I currently have a Marantz universal player connected to a Marantz receiver via 5.1 RCAs. If I wanted to connect the SMv3 to the same 5.1 inputs on the receiver, could I use RCA 'Y' cables to do so?? In othere words, the SM and the universal player would be connected at the same time to the same RCA inputs on the receiver. Could I then also connect the left and right outputs on the universal player (again, utilizing RCA "Y" cables) to the left and right inputs on the SM. With this connection configuration, I'm thinking I could play a stereo CD in the player, set the receiver to the 5.1 discrete input, and I would here everything coming from the SM. Since the CD is stereo, there would be no signals coming from the remaining channels from the universal player. Or, could I just use an optical cable from the player into the SM??? Anyway, you'all get what I'm trying to do (I hope). Or am I somewhere in left field???????????????????

Now that v3 is here;

I currently have a Marantz universal player connected to a Marantz receiver via 5.1 RCAs. If I wanted to connect the SMv3 to the same 5.1 inputs on the receiver, could I use RCA 'Y' cables to do so?? In othere words, the SM and the universal player would be connected at the same time to the same RCA inputs on the receiver. Could I then also connect the left and right outputs on the universal player (again, utilizing RCA "Y" cables) to the left and right inputs on the SM. With this connection configuration, I'm thinking I could play a stereo CD in the player, set the receiver to the 5.1 discrete input, and I would here everything coming from the SM. Since the CD is stereo, there would be no signals coming from the remaining channels from the universal player. Or, could I just use an optical cable from the player into the SM??? Anyway, you'all get what I'm trying to do (I hope). Or am I somewhere in left field???????????????????
I'd recommend against the Y connectors. You can use a selector box with two 5.1 inputs, to one 5.1 out, to go to the receiver. That's what I did. You can use the optical out on the universal player to feed the SM for stereo or matrixed CD's.Use of the Y connectors would allow the signals from one device to get to the other, and that could affect the sound, not to mention possibly do some damage to the player, or the SM. If you find a switchbox that can select between two component video inputs, plus left and right audio, that'll work nicely. The optical in on the SM can be used for stereo or matrixed CD's, but if you plan to play records, quad or stereo, use the SM's RCA in's.

Last edited:
I'd recommend against the Y connectors. You can use a selector box with two 5.1 inputs, to one 5.1 out, to go to the receiver. That's what I did. You can use the optical out on the universal player to feed the SM for stereo, or matrixed, CD's, but what about from records? Use of the Y connectors would allow the signals from one device to get to the other, and that could affect the sound, not to mention do some damage.
Yeah, What about records ....... I haven't even thought that far yet. Probably not too concerned about LPs as I like playing them as originally intended (I do have a Sansui QRX-9001 for my quad LPs). Might need to "Y" the optical too (if that's even possible); I think it already goes to something else. Back to the 5.1 selector box. That sounds like a great idea! I've looked for one before, never could find one. Where did you get yours?

Yeah, What about records ....... I haven't even thought that far yet. Probably not too concerned about LPs as I like playing them as originally intended (I do have a Sansui QRX-9001 for my quad LPs). Might need to "Y" the optical too (if that's even possible); I think it already goes to something else. Back to the 5.1 selector box. That sounds like a great idea! I've looked for one before, never could find one. Where did you get yours?
I ordered it from Amazon. Not at all expensive, and it works well. You might want to play your records through the SM so you can compare, particularly in QS, which sounds better, between your 9001's decoder, or the SM. I suspect the SM will do a better job with SQ than the receiver's decoder.

Last edited:
If your Marantz receiver has any type of the "Tape Play" and "Tape Rec" RCA's (or equivalent for external processing) you can send any signal from the receiver through the SM and back into your 5.1 inputs.

I've assumed the Universal Player has an optical output that could go to your receiver.

Last edited:
If your Marantz receiver has any type of the "Tape Play" and "Tape Rec" RCA's (or equivalent for external processing) you can send any signal from the receiver through the SM and back into your 5.1 inputs.

I've assumed the Universal Player has an optical output that could go to your receiver.
The sound from the optical input on the receiver may not be available on the analog RCA tape record outputs.

Back