Surround Master V3 has landed (news, discounts etc)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but you're a local. If we didn't know how to deal with the deadly wildlife, there wouldn't BE any of us here.

It's the unsuspecting OS mob that should be rapidly changing their underwear.
My (late) best friend was trekking in the Outback on an organised trip, they had had a warning speech. He got back to his tent, saw a spider and flicked it out with a piece of paper, crashed out, next day found an identical spider in his tent, got the tour guide and pointed to it, the tour guide backed away looking very worried! ........ and no it wasn't a small creature that killed him it was his own ticker!

A better business partner story is one of my current business partners Tony (our production manager). He is missing half a finger, turned out he woke up one morning in a hospital in New Zealand with the missing finger. The last thing he remembered was being in Melbourne Australia a week earlier.

I just know booze was involved somewhere!

Yeah, but you're a local. If we didn't know how to deal with the deadly wildlife, there wouldn't BE any of us here.

It's the unsuspecting OS mob that should be rapidly changing their underwear.

When it comes to the number of creatures that can kill a person, Australia is tops. But not this one who was just hanging around out in the back of our accommodations at Cradle Mountain. The little critter just sat there a few feet away from us and did nothing...like one of the plastic versions I'm expecting with the next incarnation of the Surround Master.

3. Pademelon Wallaby at Cradle Mtn.jpg

When it comes to the number of creatures that can kill a person, Australia is tops. But not this one who was just hanging around out in the back of our accommodations at Cradle Mountain. The little critter just sat there a few feet away from us and did nothing...like one of the plastic versions I'm expecting with the next incarnation of the Surround Master.

View attachment 82235
Even the platypus has a poisonous barb

View attachment 82235
The keys to the Bongo, are in his pouch...

I still want one, but it is getting farther and farther away

- This year I had to pay for having a dangerous tree cut down and damage to house and car when part of it fell. I also had to buy new computers.
- Next year I have to pay for a new heating/cooling plant. Mine is 33 years old.

Hi Y'all. Well, I just had a very cool telephone chat with the Real Chucky4032 down near Melbourne, Australia We discussed a number of things but one issue I brought up with him seemed to strike a chord. It was regarding something I touched on in my first post in this forum back in July. It wasn't really commented on much so I let it drop until now since I've had my phone chat.

The issue is this: The Surround Master V3 cries out for a REMOTE CONTROL!

I have personally found that almost every source that I put into the SM3, whether analog or digital, the input level to the decoder and channel output levels for a F/R balance, varies widely. SQ encoded vinyl seems to be the worst with widely varying levels from record to record and in some cases, cut to cut. According to Chuck, these level changes are common and actually somewhat expected. As part of its design, the SMs have front-panel user adjustments to compensate for each of these variables - plus, the ability to audition different decoding algorithms and speaker arrays. Because these various signal parameters are constantly changing, I have found that I have to tweak these adjustments just as often, almost every time I change the record or other source. The issue is that I can't optimize these adjustments on the SM3 from my optimum listening position which is much closer to the rear speakers. If I'm standing by the SM3 in my audio rack, its on almost the same horizontal plane as the front speakers, far away from the rears, It is next to impossible to set a pleasing F/R balance from the SM3's location, so, I may have to run back and forth from the unit to the couch and back a few times to get the sound balanced right. It just disturbs the flow in my room. I can control just about everything else in my system without moving from my listening position.

After discussing my concerns with Chuck and also pointing out the ergonomic and audio advantages of having a remote, especially since they come standard with almost everything in the house these days, I can say here in the QQ forum, with his permission, that he agrees that a remote control might be a useful additon to the product. He mentioned that he hadn't put much thought into the points that I raised, during the design of any of the SM models, but we left the conversation with the understanding that he would definitely consider including remote control capability in SM4. We both agreed that I would post about this and get some feedback from the community.

In a specialized technical device such as this, which does require a certain amount of regular user interaction, and because of its typical physical location in most home audio systems, its not currently acoustically easy to achieve the proper adjustment levels for the rear speakers if you're standing much closer to the fronts while adjusting the SM3.

I've only had my unit for a few weeks and I love it! But I don't love running all over my living room to constantly adjust it.

I'm over it and have and gotten used to it.

Talking with Chucky was a good thing.

Whaddya'll think about having a remote control for the Sound Master? Perhaps an interim model V3 w/remote could be marketed. Call it "Surround Master V3-R. Especially if V4 is most likely a long way down the pipeline. Just sayin'

DocBrown_wdyt.gif

Last edited:
Hi Y'all. Well, I just had a very cool telephone chat with the Real Chucky4032 down near Melbourne, Australia We discussed a number of things but one issue I brought up with him seemed to strike a chord. It was regarding something I touched on in my first post in this forum back in July. It wasn't really commented on much so I let it drop until now since I've had my phone chat.

I have personally found that almost every source that I put into the SM3, whether analog or digital, the input level to the decoder and channel output levels for a F/R balance, varies widely. SQ encoded vinyl seems to be the worst with widely varying levels from record to record and in some cases, cut to cut. According to Chuck, these level changes are common and actually somewhat expected. As part of its design, the SMs have front-panel user adjustments to compensate for each of these variables - plus, the ability to audition different decoding algorithms and speaker arrays. Because these various signal parameters are constantly changing, I have found that I have to tweak these adjustments just as often, almost every time I change the record or other source. The issue is that I can't optimize these adjustments on the SM3 from my optimum listening position which is much closer to the rear speakers. If I'm standing by the SM3 in my audio rack, its on almost the same horizontal plane as the front speakers, far away from the rears, It is next to impossible to set a pleasing F/R balance from the SM3's location, so, I may have to run back and forth from the unit to the couch and back a few times to get the sound balanced right. It just disturbs the flow in my room. I can control just about everything else in my system without moving from my listening position.

After discussing my concerns with Chuck and also pointing out the ergonomic and audio advantages of having a remote, especially since they come standard with almost everything in the house these days, I can say here in the QQ forum, with his permission, that he agrees that a remote control might be a useful additon to the product. He mentioned that he hadn't put much thought into the points that I raised, during the design of any of the SM models, but we left the conversation with the understanding that he would definitely consider including remote control capability in SM4. We both agreed that I would post about this and get some feedback from the community.

In a specialized technical device such as this, which does require a certain amount of regular user interaction, and because of its typical physical location in most home audio systems, its not currently acoustically easy to achieve the proper adjustment levels for the rear speakers if you're standing much closer to the fronts while adjusting the SM3.

I've only had my unit for a few weeks and I love it! But I don't love running all over my living room to constantly adjust it.

Whaddya'll think about having a remote control for the Sound Master? Perhaps an interim model V3 w/remote could be marketed. Call it "Surround Master V3-R. Especially if V4 is most likely a long way down the pipeline. Just sayin'

View attachment 83772

Here's what I think, since you asked.

One of these and an ordinary power extension cord might fix you right up while you wait for vaporware?

Gotta improvise & compromise a little in the quest for audio nirvana.
Just sayin'. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audio-SARCA-8x10-Channel-10-Feet/dp/B00R8LUMFC

1663759297694.png

Last edited:

Yes, a remote control plus pre-synth (phase blending.) I've been conversing with @Sonik Wiz a good bit about employing pre-synth*. And I've used Audacity to do a bit of time-shifting (poor man's quasi pre-synth) on a couple of tracks where the performance when played through the Surround Master was good, but somewhat ho-hum. BIG DIFFERENCE.

So Surround Master V4 essentials (Not a wish list):
- Remote Control
- Pre-synth

*Unfortunately, Wiz Audio has discontinued mass production of his remarkable Pre-Synth device:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/chase-rlc-1-meets-the-involve-sm-v2.26882/OK,OK...so he's never produced anything other than the prototype and has no plans to do so in the future. :)

View attachment 83772
Hi Jaysound55

Thanks for the call today, I was just about to get bored!
I discussed your idea with Dave the bitch and we both like it and in fact Dave has been prodded by a few others for the same. The technical difficulty is the existing mechanical front adjustment pots. If they were also adjusted by a remote control they would have to mechanically track the remote (as a memory function), this is crazy expensive. We could make all the front knobs continuous rotation digital pulse counters but then you would lose the mechanical line that shows you where its all set at.

I think a better idea is to allow the remote to adjust the mechanical pot setting up and down but not change its position and have the unit reset back to the mechanical pot setting as the default position upon turning it off/ on.

This will be thunk about in the next (a way off) revision PLUS the input blend. The priorities right now is the mini preamp and then the super pre amp which will have all these features plus more

Hey QQ people feel free to call me on +61438698325 (allow for the down under time shift!)

Hi Jaysound55

Thanks for the call today, I was just about to get bored!
I discussed your idea with Dave the bitch and we both like it and in fact Dave has been prodded by a few others for the same. The technical difficulty is the existing mechanical front adjustment pots. If they were also adjusted by a remote control they would have to mechanically track the remote (as a memory function), this is crazy expensive. We could make all the front knobs continuous rotation digital pulse counters but then you would lose the mechanical line that shows you where its all set at.

I think a better idea is to allow the remote to adjust the mechanical pot setting up and down but not change its position and have the unit reset back to the mechanical pot setting as the default position upon turning it off/ on.

This will be thunk about in the next (a way off) revision PLUS the input blend. The priorities right now is the mini preamp and then the super pre amp which will have all these features plus more

Hey QQ people feel free to call me on +61438698325 (allow for the down under time shift!)
A preamp I saw had rotary encoders with tiny LEDs around it, the lit LED functioned as the line on a knob.

Back