Surround mix style - what do you prefer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the type of music should determine the mix. I find on more popular-based genres, I like being in the middle of things. Classical music, I think, should depend on the producer's intent, but for the most part, rear ambience works best. In the case of shows, I kinda like being on stage with the performers. But, again, it depends on the intent of the producers, and others who participate in that decisionmaking.

I like having options like the AIX recordings, Mark Waldrep always offers audience and stage mixes along with stereo and usually a tricky headphone mix of some type. Good stuff.

I think the type of music should determine the mix. I find on more popular-based genres, I like being in the middle of things. Classical music, I think, should depend on the producer's intent, but for the most part, rear ambience works best. In the case of shows, I kinda like being on stage with the performers. But, again, it depends on the intent of the producers, and others who participate in that decisionmaking.
I tend to agree with Jaybird. I have pop albums with certain things moving around and I really enjoy that. Its part of the surround experience. Think the opening moments of Money by Pink Floyd. If the cash box had been localized center front and left there it would not be nearly as much fun. But it can be overdone. Occasional movement is good. Constant is distracting. But in general, I like pop albums to isolate at least some of the material in the different points. Rhythm instrument (usually drums and bass) are not really conducive to these effects for the most part. If all your drums are coming from one rear channel as is the case on some Sly and the Family Stone cuts, its distracting, at least to me. Classical, I am of two minds. I generally have to say I prefer the Angel approach of concert hall effect, but sometimes, say the 1812, I like to be on stage getting shot at by the cannon!

Back