"surround mixing is my passion"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, one of our members created a Blu-ray with music and didn’t have to pay any fee’s. I’m not sure the fee’s can be enforced anymore. Blu-ray is an old format now. And no one is going to hassle a upcoming musician trying to make it. So just disc cost itself is the issue. I would go with DVD-A if disc cost is an issue.

Perhaps in 2021, since DVD-A is cheaper to do, why not just put a folder of an album in lossless Flac on the DVD-A. Space on a single sided disc permitting, one can create a DVD-A with DVD-ROM capacity using Chrome.

So that if one’s Blu-ray player doesn’t play DVD-A, just stick the disc into a computer and transfer onto USB. The only remaining question is, how many Blu-ray players that can’t play DVD-A, can do MC Flac.

Depending on how long a title is, one can create a DVD-A, at least in theory, with Dolby and DTS, and photos and videos, with a DVD-ROM folder with MC Flac and MP3.

I think the real problem is selling the discs.

All of those lossless formats are esoteric, with very few people having the playback equipment to play any of them, let alone all of them.

Most people have a CD player, a DVD player, and (if lucky) a Blu-Ray player. Some have a surround system. And many are using downloads instead of physical discs.

And I have never seen these formats in any store. Where do you buy them?

I bought the 5.1 SACD of Dark Side Of The Moon in WalMart some years ago. Of course that's a little bit different animal than a DVDA or Blu-Ray.
But DVDA used to be sold in record shops/chain stores etc, and commercial DVDA disks usually use MLP lossless compression. I bought a new DVDA disk recently, Giancarlo Erra's newest work, but it was ordered online not bought in a store.
As for FLAC, you know of course there are many places to buy FLAC files to download.

Back