Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be severely TAR and FEATHERED, GENE! Hey, for 10 bucks, WHY NOT?

See the source image

You'll be happy to know, that I did click on your link...just to see the review...and what did I see? Another movie called Fury or something like that. 4K/Atmos....$9.99. Whhooop. Bought it. I'm a sucker for war movies. :)

You'll be happy to know, that I did click on your link...just to see the review...and what did I see? Another movie called Fury or something like that. 4K/Atmos....$9.99. Whhooop. Bought it. I'm a sucker for war movies. :)

I ordered about 15 UHD4K movies from this latest EARLY Black Friday Sale ..... some as low as $7.99 like the excellent war movie [in ATMOS also] 1917!

BTW, FURY is excellent! With Brad Pitt and a stellar cast!

• Love
Reactions: GOS
Now that I have my refurbished surround system and added Atmos I am desperately trying not to go down the rabbit hole of buying movies like I did in the early 90's with laser discs. I rarely watch movies multiple times, but these new 4K UHD/with Atmos are so cool. I have about 7 movies now and I know I have to hold back.
A few things I have noticed on the 4K UHD format, the older movies still don't equal the newer movies as far as picture quality, same for sound, the newer with Atmos are better than the older with Atmos.
It seems like war and Sci Fi have the best Atmos mixes.
Some movie with Atmos mix that I have streamed seem to be weak in Atmos. For instance I love the series on Disney+ called The Mandolarian, streamed in Atmos but super weak, almost non existent in the height channels.
Any way, I certainly don't want to become an expert on movies, there are plenty of You Tubers for that.
At last count I have 372 4K movies. Pretty much every one listed in this thread. I love the video quality on most of them. I only (never thought I would be saying "only") have 7.1 (no Atmos) but someday I will. For now I am happy with just the 7.1

At last count I have 372 4K movies. Pretty much every one listed in this thread. I love the video quality on most of them. I only (never thought I would be saying "only") have 7.1 (no Atmos) but someday I will. For now I am happy with just the 7.1

Curious - are you a movie buff, or more of a collector? When I was younger, I wouldn't say I was a movie buff, but I was certainly enamored with buying DVD movies (or laser disc) just for the shock and awe of it all. Surround systems were relatively new, and I pretty much purchased every damn move that had a surround sound track. I have since tossed them all in boxes in the basement and really never replaced many with blu-rays. Since I've gotten older, music has remained my constant joy and watching movies (or buying them for whatever reason) is mostly non-existant.

I'm not sure why, or what has happened honestly. I just simply cannot sit through a movie. Odd.....well, unless it's a movie about music. haha

You know, I see the 1992 movie "Last Of The Mohicans" is on one of my cable channels tonight. It's a film I've watched quite a few times and really like, but I've never been satisfied with the picture quality, seems it "should be" much cleaner looking than it is. Does anyone have it in a Blu-ray and how does it look?

You know, I see the 1992 movie "Last Of The Mohicans" is on one of my cable channels tonight. It's a film I've watched quite a few times and really like, but I've never been satisfied with the picture quality, seems it "should be" much cleaner looking than it is. Does anyone have it in a Blu-ray and how does it look?

Read the review on blu.ray.com, JP. Desperately in need of a NATIVE UHD4K remaster, IMO! A GREAT flick!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Last-of-the-Mohicans-Blu-ray/10898/#Review

It could be that I've been watching it on U-verse that may have some compression thrown in that for some reason here, really affects how it looks :unsure:

What kind of TV monitor are your presently using? On my OLED TV everything looks pretty amazing even from PRIME and NETFLIX, which, judging by the infinite amount of content, surely utilizes a modicum of compression, as well.

Last edited:
Curious - are you a movie buff, or more of a collector? When I was younger, I wouldn't say I was a movie buff, but I was certainly enamored with buying DVD movies (or laser disc) just for the shock and awe of it all. Surround systems were relatively new, and I pretty much purchased every damn move that had a surround sound track. I have since tossed them all in boxes in the basement and really never replaced many with blu-rays. Since I've gotten older, music has remained my constant joy and watching movies (or buying them for whatever reason) is mostly non-existant.

I'm not sure why, or what has happened honestly. I just simply cannot sit through a movie. Odd.....well, unless it's a movie about music. haha
I would say movie buff. Although I have always liked quality audio and video pretty much equally. So I am an audiophile and a videophile. I must say that this videophile thing really started a few years back when I had cataracts removed from my eyes and they returned to 20/20 without glasses. My vision is very clear with the bifocal lenses in them. My TV is only 58 inches but I have it on a movable cart and I sit 5-6 feet away from it. So the screen size is a moot point at that distance. I can still see the entire screen without having to move my head much. Also my room in the basement is pitch black when I use the window coverings that I have. I think this is super important when watching a movie. I watch at least 1 movie a day, usually in the morning before 8am. Right now I am on the third movie of the Resident Evil Collection.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOS
What kind of TV monitor are your presently using? On my OLED TV everything looks pretty amazing even from PRIME and NETFLIX, which, judging by the infinite amount of content, surely utilizes a modicum of compression, as well.
The video bitrates on both of those for 4K is usually somewhere around 12mbps if I remember correctly. Not sure about the audio but that of course is also dumbed down. Some of my 4K movies are close to 100 mbps video bitrate. The audio is around 5mbps I think generally. A low bitrate for disc based 4K video is somewhere around 50mbps. So way higher than amazon or netflix. Both those services do look good though. I think the addition of HDR and Dolby Vision to a 4K source actually makes a bigger difference to the visual appearance than the upgrade from 1080P to 2160P. It's also very important that you have your TV adjusted correctly. Mine went from okay out of the box to fantastic after I spent some hours doing research on settings for my model on the internet and then tweaking it for my own taste.

Last edited:
Beau Travail is an amazing film! How active is that 2.0 soundtrack? Wait--did you push a button on your AVR again and upmix? I'll bet the Britten opera sounds amazing--and the dance hall sequences, especially the film's powerful and poignant coda . . . or would you call it the ending? Give us a run down of how it sounds in faux surround! Did you also watch it with the LPCM 2.0? How did that compare? SPOILER ALERT:

Beau Travail is an amazing film! How active is that 2.0 soundtrack? Wait--did you push a button on your AVR again and upmix? I'll bet the Britten opera sounds amazing--and the dance hall sequences, especially the film's powerful and poignant coda . . . or would you call it the ending? Give us a run down of how it sounds in faux surround! Did you also watch it with the LPCM 2.0? How did that compare?

Smart Aleck! It's NO upmix.....but a constant barrage of sounds front and rear. A stunning transfer. Am just watching the special features. BTW, according to the end credits, it was released with a Dolby Digital Soundtrack ...... so why NOT 5.1? Hmmm!

Time for a Clinique Charcoal cleanse!

Last edited:
Smart Aleck! It's NO upmix.....but a constant barrage of sounds front and rear. A stunning transfer. Am just watching the special features. BTW, according to the end credits, it was released with a Dolby Digital Soundtrack ...... so why NOT 5.1? Hmmm!

Time for a Clinique Charcoal cleanse!
Seriously!?! The review says 2.0! It's actually surround?!? I'm going to need to purchase that one--i sincerely adore it--such a brilliant take on Billy Budd (Britten's opera was the very first opera i saw live!). And what Denis has to say about French colonialism still resonates. I'm dumbfounded it's in surround! What's up with those reviews! Are the special features revelatory?

Seriously!?! The review says 2.0! It's actually surround?!? I'm going to need to purchase that one--i sincerely adore it--such a brilliant take on Billy Budd (Britten's opera was the very first opera i saw live!). And what Denis has to say about French colonialism still resonates. I'm dumbfounded it's in surround! What's up with those reviews! Are the special features revelatory?

I was only able to watch the wonderful interview conducted in 2020 between MOONLIGHT director Barry Jenkins and Claire Denis which illuminated her struggles to complete the film as the French Foreign Legion deemed her script too subversive [albeit homoerotic].

• Claire Denis and Barry Jenkins - presented here is a filmed conversation between Claire Denis and filmmaker Barry Jenkins (Moonlight). The conversation was filmed in Paris and Los Angeles in 2020. In English, not subtitled. (30 min, 1080i).

And then I CRASHED!

Just finished watching the 3 hour Director's Cut of Director Mike Flanagan's DOCTOR SLEEP on BD~V. Most unfortunately, the Native UHD4K disc only contains the 152 minute Theatrical version as well as the Director's cut on a separate BD~V. I also watched all the bonus features on a separate included BD~V [w/the theatrical version] and there was director Flanagan sitting alongside writer Stephen King discussing both the original Kubrick Shining of which King was NOT a fan and how Mike Flanagan in Doctor Sleep, was not only trying to respect Kubrick's original version but placate King's original vision of having the Overlook go up in flames at the film's finale.

In terms of horror, I LOVED Doctor Sleep and highly recommend it to Stephen King fans. I only wish a future UHD4K of Doctor Sleep will be issued with the 180 minute Director's cut but as I only paid $4 for the 2 disc BD~V set [with slipcover] during a special Amazon flash sale, I found the video and audio to actually be quite stunning, I feel NO need to add the present 4K disc to my collection. BTW, the cast was amazing as was newcomer, child actor Kyliegh Curran who played Abra....and kudos to the set designers who vividly replicated the Overlook Hotel almost down to the last detail.

91Ih5ZoIGbL._SL1500_.jpg

See the source image
A Brilliant Ewan McGregor as Danny Torrance all grown UP!

Last edited:
Back